Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 06:55 PM

468 posts, read 799,568 times

Advertisements

Hi! I posted a similar thread in the Maine forum and I probably will do one in the NH forum too. Due to circumstances, we will probably be leaving Alaska at the end of the school year. My husband is a school counselor and is in the process of getting certified in VT, NH, and ME. He has been working in the bush, but after the first year, the girls and I moved to Homer, AK and only have him home on vacations. Since people never, ever leave Homer, it is unlikely there will be a position open here and we don't want to be apart any longer. So, we are looking elsewhere.

While I have been to Maine and New Hampshire, I have never been to Vermont. I am hoping I can get a few suggestions for nice, small towns. Homer has about 5,000 people and the village where we lived had about 250. We are originally from Northern Virginia and definitely don't want urban areas, though north of Boston, I don't think there is anything on that scale. We don't need big box close by either. We are about 80 miles from the nearest Walmart.

My husband loves to hunt and that is very important to him.I don't how Vermont is for that. We have a farmette here in Homer with high tunnels, raised beds, goats and chickens. We definitely want to continue that lifestyle, though I can do without the goats next time...

Obviously, we are not bothered by winter...especially after our time in the Arctic. Anything is an improvement on that! We both like winter and play outside a lot in it.

We don't plan on moving without a job but I would really appreciate any suggestions of nice, small towns to keep any eye on in case jobs are posted. A little research goes a long way, especially since we probably will not be able to visit unless he is offered a job somewhere. Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2013, 07:40 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,489,954 times
I hope your husband isn't dead set on moose hunting, it's not easy to get drawn for a moose permit here (easier in Maine which is a relatively easy drive though). Hunting can be good here but some parts of the state have little land that's open to hunting (posted). IMHO the best part of the state to have lots of places to hunt is the northeast kingdom, specifically Essex County. The deer numbers aren't great there but there's some big deer around, and the small game hunting is great. Conversely, the areas with the most deer have the least amount of land that's readily accessible without knowing someone (parts of southern VT and the champlain valley).

Jobs aren't easy to come by, especially in northeastern Vermont.

Old 12-28-2013, 08:15 PM

I don't think he is counting on a moose. He likes small game best with waterfowl being his favorite. I, however, will miss the subsistence caribou he was able to hunt up in the village. I will pass the hunting info on to him. Thanks!

Old 12-29-2013, 04:50 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,489,954 times
The best waterfowl hunting will be along Lake Champlain or the CT River.

Old 12-29-2013, 01:20 PM

130 posts, read 276,690 times
How well do you enjoy/tolerate interacting with people that don't share you social and political values? If you don't enjoy that interaction how far away for those people do you want to be?

i.e. Don't more to Burlington if you can't stand "liberals" or very rural areas if you think "assault weapons" need to be banned because "their is no reason for civilians to own them".

Old 12-29-2013, 03:04 PM

It doesn't really matter to me. I don't like guns, my husband does. We make it work. I have lived in conservative areas, liberal areas, an area in the U.S that is most definitely not a Western culture. There are good people everywhere, regardless of political beliefs. It is more important to us to find a good church where we go rather than a community of liberal or conservative devotees.

Old 12-29-2013, 03:15 PM

130 posts, read 276,690 times
You'll do fine anywhere you end up then.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:29 AM

384 posts, read 990,112 times
Heh Lunabell - I live in AK but also spend time in Northern VT. Everything is pretty small in VT (including the moose) compared to AK. North to south is about 190 miles, and east to west about 90 miles at the widest point.

Burlington, which I believe is the largest and most urban city, has a population of about 42,000 with closely connected communities probably adding another 30,000 (South Burlington, Shelburne, Winooski, etc). After that the population drops to about 17,000 in Rutland, which is about 67 miles from Burlington. From there it is downward by about half, I believe. A big difference from Alaska though is that even the smallest of communities are not very far from some other community.

This small little state gets about 13.5 million visitors each year - in comparison to the almost 2 million visitors to AK (which seems like WAY too many even for this big land!).

It does get quite cold in Northern VT - on average, colder than Homer in the winter months and warmer (with humidity) than Homer in the summer months. Fall is fabulous, as is spring - but winters and summers I much prefer AK (since I,like you, live in a much milder part of AK).

Interestingly - the principle at the school that my grandchildren attend was previously from AK ( which gives me pause knowing the status of AK education!)

VT has a lot of green and is very beautiful - wildlife can be seen even around the Burlington area (we had a fox prancing about the edges of our yard a couple of weeks ago). To some degree though it seems "pretend" rural to me - there is a lot happening in that small state - colleges, industry, ski resorts, monied communities for the second (or third) homes of the rich ... and of course, most places do seem tame having experienced very rural AK. I would bet that Maine has a more rural feel than VT, at least once away from the coast.

Best of luck on finding a state/community that suits you and your family and the lifestyle you would like to continue. Check back in here and let us know where you land.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:19 PM

We are definitely spoiled with our winters and summers here. I can only imagine how badly we are going to melt back in the lower 48. We thought this past summer was hot here.LOL

I am looking forward to the connectivity down south. I do miss that. As much as I love Homer, I miss being able to take road trips...on different roads. Nothing could replace AK though in almost every other way.

I think my husband is leaning towards Maine because it does seem more rural but as long as we are norther tier, I think we will be alright. Thanks!

Old 01-02-2014, 11:10 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
If you want rural cold climate and a good economy, consider North Dakota. North Dakota's population is the same as Vermont but has more square miles. North Dakota's is 70k square miles. Vermont is 9k square miles. The economy is booming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont