Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 09:17 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,661,915 times

Advertisements

The article from the Globe sums up the issue in St Albans. Amid the pastoral splendor, heroin gains a deadly foothold in Vermont - Metro - The Boston Globe GJJG2012 no offence, the internet is difficult to communicate in an understanding way. The issue is not 0.2% of our population. The numbers are higher. The data from a little over a year ago showed Vermont having the largest % of it's population using drugs. Illicit drug abuse and addiction was highest in Vermont. This includes all addicting drugs, but excludes pot. The typical heroin addict only uses a couple doses/day when they are hard up.
I don't think this is a leagalization issue. Opiate addiction is a whole other animal than pot use. This is a drug that not only destroys the users life, but has a large impact on families, victims of crime, etc. This isn't the go to rehab and life will be better type of drug. It is a life long struggle and even in the life after the drug, many of these people struggle to keep their lives, work, etc. in order.

Old 01-30-2014, 03:25 PM

130 posts, read 276,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
It's only ironic to the feeble-minded who think in binary.
No, it's ironic to people that can see outside the box.

Old 02-02-2014, 11:31 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
The amount of heroin seized in this bust was staggering. I saw it on a NYC news report and first thing which sprung to mind was how much will wind up in Vermont? Locally, on LI, we are seeing record overdose deaths. Instead of this scaring potentual users, we see more and more people trying it.
Major drug bust in the Bronx nets 33 pounds of heroin; impact likely felt in Western Massachusetts drug trade, police say | masslive.com

Springfield, VT mother stashed 690 baggies of heroin in the cushion under her 5 year-old's child seat. She was busted on I91 after being pulled over for defective equipment. This wasn't her first brush with the law; on 1/23/13 she was stopped for driving with license criminally suspended.

Vermont mom busted as 5-year-old sits on alleged heroin stash | masslive.com

Distribution is broken up, but more people will step in. What is being done to stop this from entering the country to begin with? We're now looking at heroin laced with Fentanyl, a drug 100X more potent than morphine, which is causing higher mortality rates among users.

This is a public health crisis. How can a state as small as Vermont manage to pay for this? Between detox, Narcan, child service, QOL crimes requiring an increased police presence, etc., what can be done without bankrupting towns, counties, or the state?

Old 02-04-2014, 11:18 AM

36 posts, read 72,391 times
Vermont is beautiful. Drugs are everywhere. Make the best of it.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:36 PM

317 posts, read 747,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missionsix View Post
Vermont is beautiful. Drugs are everywhere. Make the best of it.

Post number 94 best post of the thread!

Vermont is beautiful. Drugs are everywhere. Make the best of it...So true

Old 02-05-2014, 07:57 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,822,117 times
Recently Gallup found Vermont to be the least religious state. I see a correlation between the lack of spirituality and the states larger than average heroin problem. With no religion many people are empty and have a mindset that often leads to addiction. I would predict there is a strong connection between the least religious states having the worst heroin epidemics. I say that as a non-religious person myself who can see the big picture.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:05 AM

986 posts, read 2,334,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
Recently Gallup found Vermont to be the least religious state. I see a correlation between the lack of spirituality and the states larger than average heroin problem. With no religion many people are empty and have a mindset that often leads to addiction. I would predict there is a strong connection between the least religious states having the worst heroin epidemics. I say that as a non-religious person myself who can see the big picture.
Then how do you explain that the states with the worst meth problems are in the middle of the country where the most religious people tend to be?

Old 02-05-2014, 08:18 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,822,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunawayJim View Post
Then how do you explain that the states with the worst meth problems are in the middle of the country where the most religious people tend to be?
That's a good argument. Although the most religious states are in the Deep South. Places with meth problems but not the states I typically see with the worst meth epidemics.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:29 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
Based on a random sample of 174, 699 adults in all 50 states over the course of a year. Of those, only 508 were from Vermont.
Gallup then weighted the polls based on region, population density, gender, age, race, ethnicity, landline vs. Cell phone, etc.

Manipulating such a small number (.0008%) of the population of a state is not indicative of the population.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:51 AM

2,991 posts, read 3,421,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunawayJim View Post
I don't think it's religion or lack of religion. I think the common denominator is the lack of meaningful jobs for young people. This is true in both Vermont and the Deep South or Plains.

The US has seen a hollowing out of manufacturing jobs in the last 3 decades. What's replacing them are either retail sales jobs or very exclusive technology or finance jobs. Not much in the middle.

We have an economy designed to manage the world's factories, but only 10-20% of our labor pool is remotely qualified to do so, and this number is actually declining in recent years. The outlook isn't good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont