Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 04:18 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,965,222 times

Advertisements

I'm at work so I can't respond to everything but we need to be close to a state college because I plan on finishing my master's and two of my kids will also need to finish a degree. I've looked at private college costs, and Can't afford it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 05:06 PM

3,457 posts, read 10,243,325 times
What type of masters are you going for?

There are only 3 state colleges:
Lyndon
Castleton
Johnson
One state university:
The University of Vermont

The state colleges offer limited masters programs. The University of Vermont has more options.

Old 01-24-2014, 08:32 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,652,979 times
Do you have an option of getting your degree online? State colleges/university are not that affordable for even in state residents. Vermont and New Hampshire rank #1 and #2 for states with the least affordable schools. With an online option, that would leave you with a larger selection of areas to live in.

Old 02-04-2014, 07:39 PM

316 posts, read 721,261 times
Saint Johnsbury has a very relaxed, down-to-earth feel. My main concern would be the lack of job opportunities in the area. That said, as others have noted, the town has positive attributes, especially the high school. I took a couple of summer courses there at a teaching institute and really enjoyed my stay. I'm a city mouse though, so after a week up there I was ready to come home. Still, it's a beautiful and interesting place that I enjoyed very much when I was there.

Old 05-06-2014, 05:35 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,965,222 times
So you are currently living in St.J? I keep researching and everything leads me back to this area. Where I live now, we have all the necessary stores, a very small mall and Walmart. Lol, which I avoid if at all possible. We're not big shoppers and buy the majority online if we can't get it from a local store.

We will not need employment to survive. Although, one of my daughters could use a part time job - maybe a restaurant?

We are used to living in rural NC near the ski resorts, long winters, short summers, I lost track of how many days were -50 with the windchill, and we're expecting it to be worse in VT. The college I'm Lyndonville Has the right programs for us, on paper - this area looks wonderful. I've seen posts though about the "icky-ness" of St.J, and that's concerning a little. We lived very briefly in Kentucky - talk about ick!! No one ever smiled, everyone seemed extremely unhappy and the town almost appeared "gray". Kinda hard to describe, lol. We don't want to be in that situation again. Rural does not bother us, lack of random shopping doesn't bother us - we just want a community that feels like home. A place we can be involved in and my younger kids won't be shunned because they're not born locals.

Am I totally off by looking here again? Thanks for your honesty. plz excuse any typos, my phone won't let me go back and re read what I've written)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
When I moved here thirty-one years ago St. J. was one of my possibilities and it really seemed like an outpost; I don't think it's really changed.

A key question is what you're going to do for work.

I'm not clear on the state college question, but Montpelier (I've lived here for over thirty years and I love it) has most of what you're looking for. University of Vermont is about 45-60 minutes away, same with Johnson State College, Vermont Technical College is about 45 minutes away, and the Community College of Vermont is right here.

We also have good schools and a good, welcoming community, good restaurants that probably include any variety of vegetarianism and gluten-freeness you might want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont