U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-02-2014, 01:28 PM
 
Location: Moving to Burlington
10 posts, read 9,447 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vette View Post
You will be working near the 5 corners. You could live in many areas. You will just have to utilize the best routes to do so. 289 opens the door as a quick commuter path. I would say all of Essex, Colchester, Williston and possibly Milton depending on the location in Milton. Towers Rd and Old Stage Rd could get you into Essex, but sometimes those raods are not the best during or after snowfalls. River road runs into Richmond as well, so that opens up another possible town to look at. I would say put Burlington and South Burlington on the back burner and use them as last resorts. There is no easy route to get to that area of Essex without a longer commute. The nice thing is you are not going towards Burlington, but the 5 corners is a bit of a hastle at times. You have the benefit of working on the least busy side of the 5 corners and you also have 289 to avoid the 5 corners and get to other areas quick. The problem with the roads in this area is they are for the most part all single lane in each direction, so traffic builds easy.
Hi Vette,

Thank you for the information. I will focus my search in colchestor, williston, essex, and essex junction. I was thinking the same thing of staying away from Burlinton unless I really had to. Your information on which roads to take will be very helpful in my search. As you said, my work place will be dependent on my search for places to live.

I appreciate once again the assistance and hopefully others in my situation will help this thread helpful. I hope to buy you coffee sometimes. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-06-2014, 11:23 AM
 
48 posts, read 46,507 times
Reputation: 226
How much are you concerned about schools? I grew up in Essex and the school system is excellent. Others in the area, not so much. How old are your kids?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2014, 10:29 AM
 
Location: Burlington burbs
130 posts, read 237,415 times
Reputation: 85
There are lots of condos around Essex Junction if you'd like to stay local. Many new ones being built around the outlet shops if you don't care too much about location. The bonus being you could walk or ride a bike to work in decent weather and avoid a lot of the snarly traffic around the five corners. In winter it would be a five minute drive. There is a bus route past your office too. http://cctaride.org/wordpress/wp-con...r_october1.pdf

Personally, I would take on something close by to get the feel of the general area and then move once I knew where I wanted to be planted. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2014, 01:36 PM
 
Location: Moving to Burlington
10 posts, read 9,447 times
Reputation: 10
Default Baby sitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by workitoutnow View Post
How much are you concerned about schools? I grew up in Essex and the school system is excellent. Others in the area, not so much. How old are your kids?
Hi Work,

I still have a baby, he's turning 2 in a week. I'm not really concerned about the school since I don't intend to stay long. Maybe 2 years at the most. I am however interested in day care. My wife is intending to work so a good baby sitter information is going to be very helpful.

Thanks work for your assistance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2014, 01:40 PM
 
Location: Moving to Burlington
10 posts, read 9,447 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippylou View Post
There are lots of condos around Essex Junction if you'd like to stay local. Many new ones being built around the outlet shops if you don't care too much about location. The bonus being you could walk or ride a bike to work in decent weather and avoid a lot of the snarly traffic around the five corners. In winter it would be a five minute drive. There is a bus route past your office too. http://cctaride.org/wordpress/wp-con...r_october1.pdf

Personally, I would take on something close by to get the feel of the general area and then move once I knew where I wanted to be planted. Good luck!
Hi Dippy,

Thank you so much for the information. I was thinking exactly the same thing. I need to live close to my job because I don't know how soon I'm going to get a vehicle. Apartments near shops or outlet malls is not a big concern to me or my family, quite the opposite in fact. We grew up city so we are comfortable with that. We love the convenience of having to walk where you want to get to so that's a plus. Thanks for the information, I appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2014, 02:40 PM
 
Location: Winter Springs, FL
1,789 posts, read 4,056,149 times
Reputation: 925
I'm sorry, I don't recall when you said you coming to Vermont. If you are trowing a daycare into the mix, that complicates things a bit more. In Chittenden County, daycare is very expensive. I have a child in daycare now. The expense is not the concern. The location and getting a spot are the biggest concerns. You have two options and they both have pluses and minuses. You can choose private or a child care center. When you choose a place to live, you need to choose a daycare shortly after that. Daycares are like finding an apartment in the area. It can be time consuming, the available hours may not meet yours, when the position opens up may not work for you, etc. You will need to find a place to live first. The first daycare we went to was 5 minutes from our home. This was perfect and then the daycare moved to the Essex/Jericho line. This turned into a twenty minute drive from our home and then another 45-60 minute commute to Burlington with traffic. When you find a place to live and if need help finding a daycare, you can message me for a couple suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2014, 02:57 PM
 
Location: Moving to Burlington
10 posts, read 9,447 times
Reputation: 10
Default daycare

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vette View Post
I'm sorry, I don't recall when you said you coming to Vermont. If you are trowing a daycare into the mix, that complicates things a bit more. In Chittenden County, daycare is very expensive. I have a child in daycare now. The expense is not the concern. The location and getting a spot are the biggest concerns. You have two options and they both have pluses and minuses. You can choose private or a child care center. When you choose a place to live, you need to choose a daycare shortly after that. Daycares are like finding an apartment in the area. It can be time consuming, the available hours may not meet yours, when the position opens up may not work for you, etc. You will need to find a place to live first. The first daycare we went to was 5 minutes from our home. This was perfect and then the daycare moved to the Essex/Jericho line. This turned into a twenty minute drive from our home and then another 45-60 minute commute to Burlington with traffic. When you find a place to live and if need help finding a daycare, you can message me for a couple suggestions.
Hi Vette,

Yes, I didn't really mention about the daycare because I thought it was least of my concerns because my wife is in no hurry to work. She's a stay at home mom right now and if things don't look well with daycare situations, then I believe she'll continue to stay at home. I will however, contact you with assistance about daycare once I we get settled there. Thank you again for your assistance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2014, 08:01 AM
 
13 posts, read 9,387 times
Reputation: 43
When are you planning to come? There is an apartment above me that will be vacant hopefully soon. Duplex (home split up/down). Rent is about $1200/mo heat included. I lived there for 14 years. Electric is about $50/mo. Two bedroom. Close to stores but out far enough. Ten minutes from Essex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:40 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top