Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 06:07 PM

46 posts, read 220,585 times

Advertisements

fromPA- in Vermont, 20 minutes is nothing of a commute. That's often the closest grocery store! I always commuted an hour, and a good number of my friends also do, whether to Burlington or Montpelier. It's just cheaper to live further out as the bedroom community radius of Burlington slowly expands and becomes more expensive.
Also, if you don't live near or in Rutland, I'm not sure you can quite have an opinion about it yet. Give it a little time and get back to us after you've moved there and have lived there for a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2007, 09:41 AM

26 posts, read 82,010 times
You've got to come visit where I'm from, my dear. Makes Rutland look like a dream. It's all a matter of perspective, but I do agree with you that I obviously don't have the full picture yet. All I'm saying is that it's not the pit that some has portrayed it as. When you've grown up in a rural, economically and culturally depressed area such as I did, one learns to accept the limits that come with the benefits of a quiet, less diverse town.

Old 12-03-2007, 03:30 PM

1,135 posts, read 3,982,076 times
Where in PA are you from, fromPA ?
I lived all over PA and am very familiar with it. My moving to
VT from PA was the biggest mistake I ever made. There are very
few places in PA that I wouldn't take over anywhere in VT.
Steelton, PA outside of Harrisburg being one of them, but VT
doest even come close to PA in other stuff. Philly and Pittsburgh
are entirely different type of cities, you LAnco for rural, Pennsyltucky
for Vermont style countryside and Bucks Co-MAinLine for your
bourgeois needs, if you like that crap.
I agree that its all your own personal perspective but I would rather
be homeless in Fla than live in Rutland. Im not kidding.

Old 12-03-2007, 08:10 PM

46 posts, read 220,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromPA View Post
You've got to come visit where I'm from, my dear. Makes Rutland look like a dream. It's all a matter of perspective, but I do agree with you that I obviously don't have the full picture yet. All I'm saying is that it's not the pit that some has portrayed it as. When you've grown up in a rural, economically and culturally depressed area such as I did, one learns to accept the limits that come with the benefits of a quiet, less diverse town.
I understand your point, PA. My husband's sister is in PA and he would love to live closer to her (he also went to college there) but I'd hate to leave N.E. where all of my family lives. I've been all over PA over the years, and do think that it is a beautiful state (a little too hot for me, though!) and I like many things about it- including the rural parts. BUT- After living outside of Rutland for years, I learned that there was a certain personality that abounded, and type of people that I didn't enjoy much. That's all. It wasn't limited to Rutland, but also to the surrounding area. I'm not narrow-minded enough to imply that all residents are one in the same- far from that. As a teacher, I saw a part of society that made it a way of life to not work and work the system, and many had it down to a multigenerational science. This personality is everywhere you go, but it is extra special when you mix in stubborn Vermont! This was just my own personal experience, and I would never go so far as to lump everyone into that category, but for these reasons, I would prefer to not settle in or near Rutland again.

Old 12-04-2007, 03:33 AM

1,135 posts, read 3,982,076 times
Stiner, Ditto !
My Wife was in education and this had something to do with it, too.
Obviously I dont want to say on a public board what her title was
but the 'system' and people broke her down.
We look at Rutland after a contract was offered out -of-the-blue
and thought it would be OK but upon spending time there we were
soul crushed by a Steven King-sh fog or air of negativity and wackiness
that just envelops that place and drug us down.

Rutland is a depressing Tom Waits tune about hopelessness come to life !

Old 12-04-2007, 04:27 PM

1,822 posts, read 5,132,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron37 View Post
I will be in Rutland for a year starting next August. My questions are pretty basic.

Where are some cool places to live? Either in the city or right outside?
Depends what you like in a living space. Rutland has in-town rentals/homes for sale in newer and older buildings. Rental property is minimal, but we had a nice apartment in an old home (refurbished) before we bought our house. I like to live in town so I can walk everywhere.

Quote:
Any grocery stores suggestions?
We do almost all our shopping at the Rutland Natural Food Market (formerly The Co-op - still call it that) on Wales St. downtown, and also at Sunshine Natural Market on Center St. downtown. The old theater space at the back of the Co-op now has an awesome winter farmer's market every Saturday, 10-2. For eating local, Vermont rocks!

Quote:
How about fitness facilities?
I used to like working out at Vermont Sport & Fitness (Vermont Sport and Fitness, Tennis, Rutland Health Club). I used to teach yoga there.

Quote:
I also love the outdoors and will definitely be taking all of that in, be it hiking, canoeing, or cross country skiing. I've never been downhill skiing, I'd love to take it up.
Options too numerous to mention! There is everything here, outdoor activities for every season. Go to the gym and make buddies with a native or longtime resident who likes to be outdoors. They'll show you all the best places.

Last edited by Sherylcatmom; 12-04-2007 at 04:30 PM.. Reason: Wanted to subscribe to thread - couldn't figure out how

Old 12-06-2007, 02:06 PM

24 posts, read 99,468 times
Don't overlook the towns to the west of Rutland, if you don't mind a little bit of a drive--Castleton, Poultney, Fair Haven. Beautiful lakes and recreation over that way as well. Brandon was pretty run down for many years, but seems to be experiencing something of a renaissance--it was looking quite spruce last time I drove through there. Lake Dunmore is one of my favorite places of all time--don't miss it! Excellent hiking in that area, too--a great day hike to start with is from Lake Dunmore to Silver Lake, via the Falls of Lana. The White Rocks Recreation Area in Wallingford is really cool, too--an ancient rockslide you can climb all over, with small caves that retain ice almost year-round.

Don't know much about bars in Rutland, other than there seem to be a lot of them. For food shopping, the Hannaford on Rt. 7 is very nice, and the supermarket downtown by the WalMart isn't too bad either (Stop and Shop?). There is also the aforementioned Natural Foods Market ("The Co-op"), and a little farmer's market, in season, two days a week. I think I read that they are trying to start a year-round, indoor farmer's market (?)--perhaps someone local knows more about this? In the summer and fall, there are also farm stands selling local produce--Grabowski's on Rt. 2A is famous for their sweet corn.

Good luck on your move!

Old 12-06-2007, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caprt View Post
he White Rocks Recreation Area in Wallingford is really cool, too--an ancient rockslide you can climb all over, with small caves that retain ice almost year-round.
This is not to be missed!

Quote:
Don't know much about bars in Rutland, other than there seem to be a lot of them.
Did you know that Rutland used to have the dubious distinction of having more bars per capita than any other city in the U.S.? It's fallen from its former "glory" but there are still, as you say, bars a-plenty. I've never actually been into any of them, except one place where friends sometimes play live music.

Quote:
the supermarket downtown by the WalMart isn't too bad either (Stop and Shop?).
It's a Price Chopper. And it's not bad at all. But we buy absolutely everything at locally-owned businesses first. We occasionally hit the Price Chopper the local places simply do not have what we need.

Quote:
There is also the aforementioned Natural Foods Market ("The Co-op"), and a little farmer's market, in season, two days a week. I think I read that they are trying to start a year-round, indoor farmer's market (?)--perhaps someone local knows more about this?
Yes! As I mentioned, the winter farmers market is up and running. You walk right through the Co-op to get to it. It's winter, not meant to be year-round. Our outdoor farmers market (May-October) is extensive and meets nearly all our fresh food needs. From early leafy greens straight through to cider and corn season, I drool just thinking about it. :-)

Old 12-14-2007, 08:51 AM

26 posts, read 82,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherylcatmom View Post
This is not to be missed!

Did you know that Rutland used to have the dubious distinction of having more bars per capita than any other city in the U.S.? It's fallen from its former "glory" but there are still, as you say, bars a-plenty. I've never actually been into any of them, except one place where friends sometimes play live music.

It's a Price Chopper. And it's not bad at all. But we buy absolutely everything at locally-owned businesses first. We occasionally hit the Price Chopper the local places simply do not have what we need.

Yes! As I mentioned, the winter farmers market is up and running. You walk right through the Co-op to get to it. It's winter, not meant to be year-round. Our outdoor farmers market (May-October) is extensive and meets nearly all our fresh food needs. From early leafy greens straight through to cider and corn season, I drool just thinking about it. :-)
I want to be your friend when we finally move up (if our house EVER sells here in PA!). My goal is to eat local as much as possible, too. My husband is already in Rutland (well, N. Clarendon) and I keep telling him to stop by the winter market when he's already in town for other things. I want him to scope it out for me! Which days does it run? I read about it at the on the rutlandherald site but I didn't make note of that.

Old 12-14-2007, 09:20 AM

Quote:
I want to be your friend when we finally move up (if our house EVER sells here in PA!).
LOL and thank you. :-) I wish you quick success in selling your home. Let me know when you're on your way and we'll get in touch.

Quote:
My goal is to eat local as much as possible, too. My husband is already in Rutland (well, N. Clarendon)
That's almost Rutland. :-)

Quote:
I keep telling him to stop by the winter market when he's already in town for other things. I want him to scope it out for me! Which days does it run? I read about it at the on the rutlandherald site but I didn't make note of that.
The winter farmers market is every Saturday, 10 am - 2 pm. To get there, walk into the Rutland Natural Foods Market (a/k/a "The Co-op"), walk straight through to the back of the store, and enter the vast old theatre space now converted into our luscious winter farmers market. On the way in or out, stop and shop at the Co-op, which is a gracious, friendly little store where we meet most of our grocery needs and enjoy hanging out with our community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont