U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-30-2007, 01:33 PM

267 posts, read 1,339,667 times
Default Best spots to take pictures

I was thinking of taking some really nice photos of VT and framing them and sending them back home to the family as Christmas gifts. Can somebody give me some ideas on places to take pictures? I don't want to drive too far because I hate driving (especially with the snow and ice, makes me nervous). Anywhere within a 35 mile radius of Waterbury is good. Maybe as far as St.Albans although I'm not sure what is there. And please, no desolate place where my car will get stuck in the snow-I have bad cell phone coverage up here. Are there any little towns that are decorated nicely for Christmas with all the lights and wreaths? Basically, I'm looking for places that you see on the postcards.

Thanks guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2007, 01:34 PM

2,940 posts, read 5,624,274 times
It's further than 35 miles, but Woodstock fits the bill.
Or, even up in Stowe Village. The Green Mountain Inn is pretty.

Old 11-30-2007, 02:24 PM

267 posts, read 1,339,667 times
Yeah, I will probably take lots of pictures around Stowe and Mountain Road. I'll try to check out Woodstock if I get a chance. Whats in Woodstock? Is this the same Woodstock as the festival that was held in the 60's (or was it 70's)?

Old 11-30-2007, 05:41 PM

11,102 posts, read 24,024,770 times
Timing is everything. One of the best seasonal pictures I ever took was taken on the back road from Waterbury, about one mile down towards Richmond at the Harvey farm. There had been a fresh snowfall, a gate under a tree had been left open to a pasture, and there was a set of footprints going through the gate. six hours either way and the picture wouldn't have been as nice.

Cabot usually is dressed for the season, and even wandering around the residential areas of Montpelier at dusk can get some nice seasonal decoration. Also, Camels Hump is a photo-op waiting for anyone who has the patience. It is rare to see a bad photo of the mountain from anywhere in the Winooski Valley or even as far away as Charlotte and Lake Champlain.

Old 12-01-2007, 08:40 AM

1,520 posts, read 3,710,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv80s View Post
Yeah, I will probably take lots of pictures around Stowe and Mountain Road. I'll try to check out Woodstock if I get a chance. Whats in Woodstock? Is this the same Woodstock as the festival that was held in the 60's (or was it 70's)?
Different woodstock. The 60s festival was in New York. Woodstock VT is a very quaint, very "New England" town in the middle of the state. Highly recommended!!!

Old 12-01-2007, 05:55 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,352,937 times
Not sure how far from Waterbury it is but Peacham is one of the most postcard pictured towns in the world. From my understanding anyway. Don't know if acurate but it is beautiful.

Old 12-09-2007, 12:22 AM

2,175 posts, read 3,987,173 times
Most of these shots are from within 35 miles of Waterbury...Peacham is maybe 45 min.

Vermont Gallery - American PhotoArt Gallery (broken link)

I have photographed all around this great nation and feel Vermont is the most photogenic state of all.

Last edited by MRVphotog; 12-09-2007 at 12:47 AM..

Old 12-09-2007, 06:11 AM

2,143 posts, read 4,993,664 times
Woodstock is beautiful. When you get there, it's hard to put your finger on why it is so nice. The answer is-no power lines. They are buried. The Rockefeller family spent a lot of time and money in Woodstock. The Billings Farm is there too, which is part of the National Park system. Woodstock is a beautiful town.

As long as you are there, go to Silver Lake in Barnard. A teriffic spot and very picturesque.

Old 12-09-2007, 07:51 AM

1,253 posts, read 1,773,272 times
MRV - great pics...things like that add to the hard decision about where to finally land ourselves - too many beautiful options!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont