U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-07-2014, 01:35 PM
 
43,012 posts, read 92,000,781 times
Reputation: 30379

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldorell View Post
Hopes, I can't think of one time I agreed with you about anything.
That's okay. I consider that a compliment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldorell View Post
The Walmart phenomenon is ancient history and, in case you haven't noticed, it is the basis of the entire world economy now.
Saying Walmart is the basis of the whole world economy is further proof of how Walmart destroys economies. The world economy is responsible for outsourcing higher paying jobs. That's partly why there is a whole "by local" movement that's very popular now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldorell View Post
Vermont has already adapted to that and has its own strategy. The strategy here is basically pretty scenery, tourism, skiing, craft businesses, etc.
These aren't real jobs. They don't pay well. Thread after thread have Vermonters complaining about the state's tourist driven economy making them underpaid impoverished servants to the rich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldorell View Post
Vermont never was like Pittsburgh, never will be like Pittsburgh and never wanted to be like Pittsburgh. The Vermonters who preferred Pittsburgh moved there over a hundred years ago and never came back.
It doesn't even make sense that you would bring Pittsburgh into this particular discussion. I'm not advocating Walmart become like Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh has Walmarts and sprawl. I'm advocating Vermont protect its economy. You gave me a good laugh with this illogical response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldorell View Post
Vermont actually has done very little to protect the local economies, and the lack of big box stores probably has more to do with maintaining the aesthetic appeal than anything else. The two hardware stores where I live are part of large chains. Mom and pop hardware stores died about 30 years ago.
Try going into the rural areas. There are still Mom and Pop hardware stores there.

Since you're living where the chains are located and the Mom and Pop stores are gone, you have proven my point.

Last edited by Hopes; 02-07-2014 at 01:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-07-2014, 01:40 PM
 
Location: in a cabin overlooking the mountains
3,079 posts, read 3,708,782 times
Reputation: 2253
LOL no not yet. I'm sitting in VT as I type this.

I have to wonder about what the parts of the state look like that attract out-of-staters. Doesn't sound like any place I'd care to live. And that "strategy" of pretty scenery, menial service jobs in tourism or relying on illegal aliens to support our agriculture is showing its effect. Not sure how the crafty thingy fits in. Maybe they sell their handpolished wooden jewelry boxes on eBay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2014, 01:41 PM
 
43,012 posts, read 92,000,781 times
Reputation: 30379
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldorell View Post
I thought we got rid of you. The "local businesses" selling toilet paper are mostly national chains too.
You must not leave where you live! Get out and explore rural Vermont! You'll be surprised what you'll find!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2014, 01:51 PM
 
444 posts, read 683,758 times
Reputation: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I guess you're not aware of the whole "by local" movement that's very popular now.
I support "buy local" primarily for food. I would rather just pay higher taxes than pay extra for a mass-produced product made elsewhere and marked up by a local vendor.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
These aren't real jobs. They don't pay well. Thread after thread have Vermonters complaining about the state's tourist driven economy making them underpaid impoverished servants to the rich.
If they don't like it they should move somewhere else. That is what sensible people have been doing for thousands of years.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It doesn't even make sense that you would bring Pittsburgh into this particular discussion.
Pittsburgh is your true area of expertise. I don't believe you've ever lived in Vermont.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Try going into the rural areas. There are still Mom and Pop hardware stores there. If you're living where the chains are located and the Mom and Pop stores are gone, you have proven my point.
There are chain stores everywhere. The population of this county is 36,000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2014, 01:56 PM
 
444 posts, read 683,758 times
Reputation: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
LOL no not yet. I'm sitting in VT as I type this.

I have to wonder about what the parts of the state look like that attract out-of-staters. Doesn't sound like any place I'd care to live. And that "strategy" of pretty scenery, menial service jobs in tourism or relying on illegal aliens to support our agriculture is showing its effect. Not sure how the crafty thingy fits in. Maybe they sell their handpolished wooden jewelry boxes on eBay?
Admittedly Addison County is better looking than some other parts of the state. Can't say that I was impressed by the Dartmouth-Hitchcock area in NH driving there several times this winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2014, 01:58 PM
 
43,012 posts, read 92,000,781 times
Reputation: 30379
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldorell View Post
I support "buy local" primarily for food. I would rather just pay higher taxes than pay extra for a mass-produced product made elsewhere and marked up by a local vendor.
What you'd rather do isn't in the best interest of your local economy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldorell View Post
If they don't like it they should move somewhere else. That is what sensible people have been doing for thousands of years.
Okay, Marie. Let them eat cake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldorell View Post
Pittsburgh is your true area of expertise. I don't believe you've ever lived in Vermont.
It's an irrational and illogical response because I never advocated Vermont become like Pittsburgh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldorell View Post
There are chain stores everywhere. The population of this county is 36,000.
The parts of Vermont I spend my time do not have chain stores and the locally owned independent businesses are still there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2014, 02:09 PM
 
444 posts, read 683,758 times
Reputation: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
What you'd rather do isn't in the best interest of your local economy.
The local economy in Middlebury isn't bad because of the college.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Okay, Marie. Let them eat cake.
Joke if you like, but this is a fact of life. I lived in Dixon, IL for 10 years because I had a good job there. I can now afford to live in Vermont. John Deere moved to nearby Grand Detour, IL from Middlebury because he couldn't make it here.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It was an illogical response because I never advocated Vermont become like Pittsburgh. Furthermore, if you've only lived in Vermont for 2 years, I've lived there just as long as you since I've been there for 4 winters.
You have very little street cred in Vermont. I don't claim to, but at least I live here.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
The parts of Vermont I spend my time do not have chain stores and the locally owned independent businesses are still there.
The kind of stores you seem to be talking about have almost no economic impact on a community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2014, 02:19 PM
 
Location: in a cabin overlooking the mountains
3,079 posts, read 3,708,782 times
Reputation: 2253
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldorell View Post
Admittedly Addison County is better looking than some other parts of the state. Can't say that I was impressed by the Dartmouth-Hitchcock area in NH driving there several times this winter.
Can't eat the scenery.

And really, DHMC isn't about scenery anyway, it's about medical care. Funny how one of the top medical providers available to Vermonters isn't even in Vermont.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2014, 02:28 PM
 
444 posts, read 683,758 times
Reputation: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
Funny how one of the top medical providers available to Vermonters isn't even in Vermont.
Dartmouth has been around longer than Vermont and has the $$$. The early Middlebury settlers went to college at Dartmouth or Yale. Middlebury College was founded in 1800 partly because UVM took a long time to get up and running.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2014, 02:35 PM
 
43,012 posts, read 92,000,781 times
Reputation: 30379
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldorell View Post
The local economy in Middlebury isn't bad because of the college.
So you're only concerned with Middlebury and your own backyard, not Vermont as a whole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldorell View Post
Joke if you like, but this is a fact of life. I lived in Dixon, IL for 10 years because I had a good job there. I can now afford to live in Vermont. John Deere moved to nearby Grand Detour, IL from Middlebury because he couldn't make it here.
Many Vermonters aren't moving for the jobs. They're scraping by and/or going on government assistance and complaining about people who moved to Vermont and ruined it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldorell View Post
You have very little street cred in Vermont. I don't claim to, but at least I live here.
I don't need street cred in Vermont to discuss basic economics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldorell View Post
The kind of stores you seem to be talking about have almost no economic impact on a community.
That's not true. All of the profit from those stores go right back into the local economy. And those crafts and locally made products you claim are the core of the Vermont economy are sold at those stores. As a result, the closing of those stores will impact the people who produce the crafts and Vermont products.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:25 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top