U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 09:08 PM

16,767 posts, read 28,935,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
We don't need every town looking like every other town. As a small businessperson, variety and different stores are very appealing.
Agreed! My parents are in northern Florida. The main road through their town looks the same as the main road where they moved from. Only difference: palm trees and Chick-fil-a.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 05:34 AM

3,079 posts, read 3,700,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Perhaps in VT or Pittsburgh, but down here it's another story. I'm 40 miles to the city line and 55 miles to midtown, with a plenty of shops before that. I guess my view of local is slightly jaded having lived both in and close to NYC.
Don't think of it as time spent in your vehicle or even mileage. Keep in mind how many people you have to drive past in order to get to your goal and you'll see that the whole state is practically local.

Old 02-11-2014, 08:01 AM

2,186 posts, read 5,972,780 times
15 years or so ago Walmart proposed building 3 stores along the Conn River in northern Vermont. As result of a major pushback by the state and it's people Walmart ended up building across the river in NH.

Now all that sales tax revenue has been lost, many Vermonters in the area drive over to shop in these stores.

Side note, the Walmart in Berlin is expanding. There was some opposition but I believe this will be done this spring.

Old 02-11-2014, 12:05 PM

2,867 posts, read 2,966,992 times
This is one reason I left Vermont. It has turned into neo-Vermont. Growing up as a kid in the 50s, 60s, and 70s in Vermont, our family and friends shopped at big box stores. Back then they were called Grants, Woolworths, Ames, Mammoth Mart, P&C, A&P, Grand Union, Finast..... They were the big box stores of their day. And Vermonters unashamedly shopped at them. Vermonters ALSO shopped at the mom and pop stores such as Willies, Yotts, Northwest Groceries (our area). Today in my old home town these mom and pop stores still exist and people still shop at them. And there is a Walmart as well as a Kmart in town. The mom and pops are good for picking up last minute items, getting things you've run out of and don't want to go to town for, or for some, stopping in to get coffee in the morning and shooting the breeze with the locals or picking up beer and cigarettes on your way home. We still shop at the mom and pops when we visit, AS WELL AS shopping at the big box. Let's face it, there are items that the big box stores carry that the mom and pops don't and some things the big box stores carry at a much cheaper price (the exact same item) that the mom and pops carry. There is a place for both. As for sprawl, my ex-home town's Wal Mart went into an existing store space so it really didn't create any more sprawl. Sorry about the others in the state. I DO hate sprawl.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:05 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,051,004 times
I think the few who complain about the big box stores and the like, probably earn a healthy income or just are not completely honest about where they purcase goods or how they purchase goods. The vast majority of people shop the big box stores or online (the equivalent of the big box stores). Tax Commissioner Mary Peterson recently stated the state of Vermont losses 40 million dollars in taxes every year in online purchases alone. Consider this, the state only collects around 170 million in taxes per year. That is a huge number. Every time I go to a big box store, they are full of people shopping. I'm sure a significant amount of the tax revenue comes from them. Towns like St Albans have fought for years to get a Walmart. The bottom line is they are more affordable than what the mom and pop store can offer. As mentioned, there is enough room for both to survive and it has and still happens.

Old 02-11-2014, 07:28 PM

317 posts, read 579,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I'm not missing your point. You're missing that you're not in step with how Vermonters feel about this issue. The big box stores are only here to stay because of people like you think saving a dollar is more important than what's better for the greater good of the local economy.

Vermont as done a very good job of protecting the local economy via keeping the big box stores out of most of the small towns. There are still small hardware, electronics, and general stores. People are still buying their food and toilet paper from the local grocery store, even the general store and directly from local farms. These businesses are still at great risk. An economy can't be supported by crafts.

You're fooling yourself to believe you're not harming the local economy by spending your money on Amazon and Walmart instead of putting your money into the local economy. It's obvious you thought most people don't like big box stores because the development is ugly. Even though you don't want to live near big box development, your online purchases could motivate Walmart to move into your area someday because they'll be able to easily identify there is a market to shop there if other people in your area do the same as you.
Harming the local economy? Would that local economy be the McDonald's that went out of business 1/2 a block off Church Street?
Or maybe the Wendy's that went out of business on the corner of Church and Main Street in downtown Burlington.
I know maybe you mean the Pier 1 Imports that closed on Church St. and the owners kept the same vibe
Homeport 52 Church St, Burlington, VT and just threw out the corporate monthly kickback and changed the name.
I love reading post's that promote buy local as the state outsources major computer network implementation then sue the outsourced vendors again and again. I had a friend that worked for the state IT department and things got so screwed up with the basic day to day data they had to pay and outside vendor to come in and fix what the state IT department couldn't because they had no clue! Millions...

Oh look here's another :

KFC in South Burlington closing

burlingtonfreepress.com — SOUTH BURLINGTON - The KFC restaurant at 408 Shelburne Road is closing after nearly two decades of serving fast food The owner of the franchise, David Purinton, confirmed that the KFC will close for good on December 14. The restaurant has been operating at the location since the mid 1990's, and before that, was located a mile closer to downtown Burlington.

Last edited by delmioquartiere; 02-11-2014 at 07:43 PM..

Old 02-11-2014, 07:56 PM

317 posts, read 579,253 times
Quote:
Agreed! My parents are in northern Florida. The main road through their town looks the same as the main road where they moved from. Only difference: palm trees and Chick-fil-a.
I went cross country with my 14 year old niece and pointed this out all along the way to her. The only real revelation was In And Out Burger .

Old 02-12-2014, 01:34 AM

890 posts, read 2,557,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmioquartiere View Post
I went cross country with my 14 year old niece and pointed this out all along the way to her. The only real revelation was In And Out Burger .
Wow, In-and-Out has made it to Vermont????? This was a small, mom-and-pop type of burger chain based in So Cal. They just started expanding about ten years ago, and obviously it has worked out for them. That's good to hear.

* On a humorous side note, when I was growing up in So Cal in the 70's and 80's, it was the cool thing to have an In-and-Out bumper sticker on your truck because of the sexual connotation!

Old 02-12-2014, 06:00 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,051,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmioquartiere View Post
Harming the local economy? Would that local economy be the McDonald's that went out of business 1/2 a block off Church Street?
Or maybe the Wendy's that went out of business on the corner of Church and Main Street in downtown Burlington.
I know maybe you mean the Pier 1 Imports that closed on Church St. and the owners kept the same vibe
Homeport 52 Church St, Burlington, VT and just threw out the corporate monthly kickback and changed the name.
I love reading post's that promote buy local as the state outsources major computer network implementation then sue the outsourced vendors again and again. I had a friend that worked for the state IT department and things got so screwed up with the basic day to day data they had to pay and outside vendor to come in and fix what the state IT department couldn't because they had no clue! Millions...

Oh look here's another :

KFC in South Burlington closing

burlingtonfreepress.com SOUTH BURLINGTON - The KFC restaurant at 408 Shelburne Road is closing after nearly two decades of serving fast food The owner of the franchise, David Purinton, confirmed that the KFC will close for good on December 14. The restaurant has been operating at the location since the mid 1990's, and before that, was located a mile closer to downtown Burlington.
You can't use Burlington as the sole example. Burlington (especially Church St) has priced itself out with rents. If you shop on Church St, you will pay a premium price on goods compared to other areas because the merchant needs to pass the cost of rent to the consumer. Most people don't make the trip into Burlington to shop. There are far better options in South Burlington or Williston. The Pier 1 is moving to South Burlington near the new Trader Joes. Just like Old Navy moved to Williston for a larger store and cheaper rent. The vacancy rate on Chuch St has been increasing for the last 4-5 years because newer, cheaper and higher traffic areas are being developed outside of Burlington. The vacancy rate outside of Burlington is just over 5% which is well below the national average.

Old 11-12-2014, 12:06 PM

39 posts, read 64,584 times
Quote:
This is a cautionary tale of two sofas:

Shopped as locally as I could in VT for a sofa. Purchased a LaZBoy in Springfield, VT at a local business.

Needed a new sofa for my NY home. Tried shopping locally -- no local furniture retailers, and I am by no means in a rural area! I expanded my search and came up with the same thing -- chains like Bobs, Raymour and Flanigan, Thomasville. I drove into the 110 corridor which is loaded with furniture outlets and stores. Saw the same stuff, over and over. Wound up heading back and bought a LaZBoy sofa at the LaZBoy store in East Setauket. My money left my community, left my county, left my state.

When it came time to buy a new bedroom set for my house on LI, I wound up buying online after once again performing an extensive, fruitless search. I wanted mission style furniture, I saw zilch in the way of suites. The company I purchased from was in CA.

The small, family owned retail businesses on Long Island are becoming fewer and fewer as the number of national (and international) chain stores enter. Locally, many of these are owned by the same conglomerate -- for instance, Marshalls, HomeGoods, and TJ Max are owned by one. Then there's Bed, Bath, Beyond which also owns Harmon, Christmas Tree Shop, and buy buy Baby. A private equity company owns Whole Foods, Rite Aid, Leslie's, Sports Authority, and Petco. IHOP owns Applebees. Many don't realize that all these businesses send their profits to one of 3 conglomerates or equity firms.. No matter where we turn, our money is being funneled off the Island and into corporate coffers in more tax-friendly states.

Amazon does offer smaller businesses the opportunity to sell merchandise under the Amazon banner, so while it isn't as good as walking into a local brick and mortar, it gives the local (who is affiliated with Amazon) a fighting chance -- which Walmart does not.

The bottomline, however, can't be stressed enough: it is very important to shop locally as much as possible whenever possible.
I realize this is really late, and may not help at all as it might be out of your travel corridor, but you should visit Kloter Farms in Ellington, Ct (northeast of Hartford, about 20 minutes or less off I-91 North). They have mission style furniture, plus other styles, all quality, I think handmade, some by Amish - can get oak, cherry, maple, pine depending on lines. They are at Kloterfarms.com, run by Mennonites, I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont