Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 05:47 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times

Advertisements

My son happened upon a dollar store going out of business sale in central Vermont. That's a good sign, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 06:49 PM

3,078 posts, read 4,375,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
That was a lot further north for us. I tried focusing in the area -- Chester, Springfield, Bellows Falls, Walpole, etc. I was looking for a leather sectional with recliners, which really narrowed my choices.
Could it be that you haven't adopted the regional definition of "local?" An hour's drive up here is nothing.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
Could it be that you haven't adopted the regional definition of "local?" An hour's drive up here is nothing.
That's true. Even in a large metro, you consider a large area as local. I have to drive an hour to get to the other side of just the county. The only difference is I'm looking at a bunch of buildings along the way; whereas, in Vermont I'm looking at a bunch of trees.

Furniture stores are notorious for not being plentiful. When I bought my sectional, it took a few weeks because I had to look north of the city one weekend and then west and east of the city on other weekends. I wore out and bought something before looking south.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:53 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
If I found a good deal 1 town over, why schlep an hour north? I enjoy a good ride and scenery as much as the next person, but when fuel costs and delivery charges negate the savings....

P.S. If the regional definition of local is an hour or so drive, would someone please tell the generator repairman in Wilmington that I'm 'local'...lol

Old 02-10-2014, 08:12 PM

Quote:
P.S. If the regional definition of local is an hour or so drive, would someone please tell the generator repairman in Wilmington that I'm 'local'...lol
And the tow truck drivers!!

Seriously, buying local means the region. That could be the tri-state region. If it's unavailable local, American made is the next best thing.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:14 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,421,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Yikes! Sprawling, ugly development isn't the reason Vermonters and other areas don't want big box stores. They put local independent businesses out of business. Your buying online is basically doing the same thing. You're still supporting Walmart's market domination by giving the company your money.
I laughed so hard when i read this. OP was so psyched up and everything was for all the wrong reasons. oops.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:18 PM

Quote:
That's true. Even in a large metro, you consider a large area as local. I have to drive an hour to get to the other side of just the county. The only difference is I'm looking at a bunch of buildings along the way; whereas, in Vermont I'm looking at a bunch of trees.

Furniture stores are notorious for not being plentiful. When I bought my sectional, it took a few weeks because I had to look north of the city one weekend and then west and east of the city on other weekends. I wore out and bought something before looking south.
Perhaps in VT or Pittsburgh, but down here it's another story. I'm 40 miles to the city line and 55 miles to midtown, with a plenty of shops before that. I guess my view of local is slightly jaded having lived both in and close to NYC.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Perhaps in VT or Pittsburgh, but down here it's another story. I'm 40 miles to the city line and 55 miles to midtown, with a plenty of shops before that. I guess my view of local is slightly jaded having lived both in and close to NYC.
You still couldn't find the sofa you wanted within the range you felt comfortable was local even down there. Anyways, I'm glad you found sofas. That alone is a major feat. I hate furniture shopping. It should be fun but it's not.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:41 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,243,693 times
Smile Amen to that!

Quote:
That's not what the locals tell me. They say the tourists and second home people want Walmart because they don't want to drive over an hour to one in the larger towns. If there are locals who feel the way you describe, they have NO IDEA what Walmart does to a small town economy. They should get out of Vermont more and see what Walmart has done to other rural towns around the country.
We don't need every town looking like every other town. As a small businessperson, variety and different stores are very appealing.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:06 PM

Quote:
You still couldn't find the sofa you wanted within the range you felt comfortable was local even down there. Anyways, I'm glad you found sofas. That alone is a major feat. I hate furniture shopping. It should be fun but it's not.
I found my sofa in East Setauket -- 3.5 miles from my house -- after I drove 24 miles to the 110 corridor which is a huge shopping area spanning miles. The twist was I couldn't find a locally owned independent furniture store which carried the sofa, unlike in VT where a locally owned independent carried the same brand.

It was the bedroom suite that was elusive.

My concern, to loop back to the topic, is that big box stores such as Walmart, whether brick and mortar or online, will actually reduce a consumer's options. The OP celebrates the fact big box stores are declining, yet goes on to state they'll shop them online. That still poses a threat to the local merchant. How many people are going to go out of their way to spend more at a small shop when they can shop in their pajamas, not spend a dime on gas AND have it delivered, free, to their door?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont