Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 11:23 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,661,606 times

Advertisements

You need to be on top of them. Don't worry about being a pest. The rental market essentially sells itself. Most agents or landlords don't bother returning phone calls or at least out of state phone calls. The demand for rentals is that high here. I would hound them until you get an answer one way or another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 06:41 PM

247 posts, read 452,301 times
I agree. Try a few agents!

Old 04-11-2014, 09:54 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
It's time you start thinking outside of the box. You can stay in a motel room for months. People do it all the time. When I was 5 years old, my parents lived in a motel with 4 children and a dog for 6 months until my parents found, purchased and closed on our new house.

If you have a job in NM or even better prospects of finding a job in MN, FrugalYankee gave a viable suggestion for you to stay in NM until your house sells. That way you can continue to work and earn money to pay all of the expenses while your husband stays in a motel earns money in Vermont. When you arrive in Vermont, you won't quickly get a job. Staying in NM eliminates most of your problems. Many other times my father was transferred my mother and my siblings and I stayed behind until the house sold. This is what families do when relocating.

Someone found you a place you can afford that accepts your dog, but you're turning it down because it's furnished and on the 3rd floor. Vermonters are the type of people who rough it. Your can't-do attitude isn't going to be embraced by Vermonters. Suck it up and don't whine about the hassle of putting your stuff in storage and taking your dog down a few flights of stairs.

Old 04-12-2014, 07:46 AM

36 posts, read 37,063 times
Actually hopes, vermonters just never thought.it was important to have affordable housing and/or apartment complexes, so most rentals are in falling apart dumps for astronomical prices and they put you through the ringer just to get one. Its not that vermonters are "hearty" or anything else. I know of a former meth lab in ST Albans for rent for upwards of a $1000 a month. FOR A METH LAB. Renting in Vt is a joke when the prices start to compare with giant metro area prices (Boston, Nyc) dont blow.smoke. its an awful rental market, with little to choose from that isnt a dump. Dont kid yourself

Old 04-12-2014, 10:56 AM

28 posts, read 151,596 times
Thank you all, I appreciate your responses. As I said previously, my husband got a job in Central Vermont and we're looking for a place to rent in that area, max. 1 hour commute. It's almost impossible to find something affordable and available from April 21 or 22 when we'll arrive. Staying in NM without my husband is out of the question. I didn't want to seem like we're picky, but can't you really be picky with the money that you work so hard for? Thank you all, we'll see what happens...5 more days till we leave...

Old 04-12-2014, 10:59 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,266,886 times
Have you looked in the Burlington area? Williston would not be too bad of a commute.

Old 04-12-2014, 11:05 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,266,886 times
Also..the classifieds for the local newspaper:
VermontClassifieds - Search Results

Old 04-12-2014, 11:46 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,374,791 times
Being picky is one thing. Once you're here I think you are in a better position to be as picky as you want. I think you may have to make some concessions given that you are arriving mid month with a pet and rentals can be hard to come by.

If you staying in NM is not possible then you will likely end up in a hotel. A possible third option would be to buy a camper and "live" at a campground until you find a place. It wouldn't be my idea of fun but it would be cheap and could buy you some time. There are plenty of storage places where you can leave your furniture until you find a place.

Old 04-17-2014, 05:18 PM

317 posts, read 747,617 times
I noticed the dates don't align with your move although it says negotiable. This is what you can expect for the NNE in Burlington. I know another person in this area and he pays $2,200 plus utility's. But this is a better house a block from the water. Have them put the furniture in the garage or put yours there.

Lovely House for 10 month rental (available Mid Aug.)

Old 04-17-2014, 07:51 PM

317 posts, read 747,617 times
You could buy this one two streets over same neighborhood.

59 Oakcrest Drive - Home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont