Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 05:27 PM

836 posts, read 1,662,237 times

Advertisements

Natural beauty, surprising diversity, as truly American as any state I've visited.

I know you're going to love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 06:00 PM

809 posts, read 998,043 times
There are lots of rentals available in southeastern Windsor County, but that's probably not central enough for you. Any port in a storm!

Old 04-06-2014, 09:17 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,631,521 times
Good luck. You'll either love it or hate it. I see very few in-betweens. Time will tell.

Old 04-06-2014, 10:27 AM

12 posts, read 30,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dana7 View Post
Did you find a place to live? We are about to move to central Vermont (we've never been there before) in 10 days and couldn't find anything to rent. It's so scary and we don't know what to do. My husband spent many days online checking all the websites possible, and still nothing. What should we do? We can't stay in a hotel for months. But let's say we'll stay in a hotel for a week or two, will we find anything once we're there? So scary to leave without any place to live. Any advice? Thank you so much!
We are fortunate to have family that is letting us rent their vacation home until we figure out a more permanent situation. I did do a little searching initially on Craigslist and did find some options there. Even though we are not students, one of the places I looked was on the college and university websites since some landlords will post directly there. Vermont Law School, for instance, had a pretty good section of listings if that is anywhere near where you want to be.

I've also been told it is a lot easier to find stuff when you are physically there. Posting online doesn't seem to be as pervasive as it is in some other parts of the country.

Best of luck with your search!

Old 04-06-2014, 11:32 AM

221 posts, read 346,254 times
The Jeffersonville/Cambridge area is beautiful, my wife and I own a flower shop in downtown Burlington but we do deliveries all over the area(as far south as middlebury, montpelier and berlin towards the center, and swanton up north) and we live in milton which isn't that far from jeffersonville. Like yourself, a year to two years ago I sat here reading all the negativity. We do not have family in Vermont. My wife spent most of her live in Wisconsin which is where her family is. I've spent most of my life(apart from 3.5 years in Boston and 11 months with her in Milwaukee) in Israel. We had no apartment here, no jobs, we decided despite what we read, to make the move and open up our own shop. It's been 9 months and we have not regretted it yet! Like you, I don't see the cost of living here as high being I come from a higher cost of living. Like you, I like the access to the outdoors and sense of community. Like you, I like the weather and the easy access to local produce(although when it comes to eating out - I have to admit we keep trying to find restaurants and such that are up to par with what we are used to in Israel and Wisconsin and have not found any yet). And we also like the more balance and the fact that alot of workplaces here just shut their doors around 4-5pm, not like in other places where we used to work till 10pm, although it can be a pain when I'm trying to rush to make a delivery before they close

By your attitude, I already KNOW you will enjoy it here, cause it reminds me of our attitude before we came here. I know you will not regret it, cause you are open minded and flexible enough and will welcome the change to what you are used to. Have fun!

Old 04-06-2014, 12:52 PM

36 posts, read 72,403 times
Congratulations!!! Be excited and don't take negativity from ANYONE seriously. : ) My wife and I moved to my home state of California 5 months ago after our wedding, after being in her home town of Hartford/Woodstock area of VT for 4 years... and she and I are about 99% sure we'll be moving back there within the next few months. Just...... can't handle it here anymore.

So, I believe in you!! Woo Hoo!!!!

Old 04-12-2014, 08:55 AM

12 posts, read 30,211 times
Thanks for all the well wishes. It is refreshing to hear that there are some happy Vermonters lurking around these forums!

Old 04-12-2014, 09:16 AM

1,690 posts, read 3,617,967 times
Your opening post was great. I hope you will follow up on your thoughts on Vermont in here. I know, the posts about Vermont were so scary that I thought if I ever move there then expect a one or two bedroom apartment to cost $3000 a month or something like that...!

Old 04-12-2014, 10:12 AM

36 posts, read 37,065 times
Yeah actually ALOT of rentals cost that in Burlington, for falling apart dumps that college kids have abused for years.The rental market in VT is PUTRID to say the least. Too many people on here have rose colored glasses and dont live in reality

Old 04-14-2014, 07:34 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plausible View Post
Yeah actually ALOT of rentals cost that in Burlington, for falling apart dumps that college kids have abused for years.The rental market in VT is PUTRID to say the least. Too many people on here have rose colored glasses and dont live in reality

I checked CL. I didn't see one one or two bedroom for $3000+.

Actually, I don't see any for over 2k.

I know you don't like Burlington, or Vermont, but can you tone down the ridiculousness?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont