U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 08:49 AM

12 posts, read 21,749 times

Advertisements

I leave for Vermont in three weeks. And I have to say, I'm so excited!

I've been reading the Vermont forum for a long time, and I have to say that I've been shocked with the level of negativity. Vermont for me is a dream, and I am so excited to be finally making it happen.

People say that everyone is leaving the state and that young people no longer find it an attractive place to live. Perhaps statistically this is the case, but some of us (I'm 26), see Vermont as an ideal location.

For a change of pace on this board, here are the reasons I am so excited about Vermont:

Amazing access to the outdoors.

In Boston, if I want to be in nature, I have to go to a park. In Vermont, I will be surrounded by it all the time.

Lower cost of living

I know that everyone likes to talk about how expensive Vermont is. I realize the taxes are high and the utility bills are insane, but when you compare it to living in Cambridge, Massachusetts (where I am now), Vermont wins on cost of living hands down.

A sense of community

Having lived in four states, I haven't seen anywhere else where such a high percentage of people seem to want to be involved with improving their local communities. When people are invested in the place where they live, the quality of life increases for everyone.

The food

Easy access to local produce and amazing dairy makes me excited about my new life.

More balance

I understand that it is hard to find a job in Vermont, but if you do, there doesn't seem to be the same grind as in Massachusetts. Vermonters seem to value other parts of life besides their work and find time for recreation, volunteering, and the arts. People who are able to be involved in multiple things are appreciated, not seen as unambitious as they would be here. In Vermont, I think it is easier than in Boston at least to be defined by more than your career.

The weather

Lots of people complain on this board about the weather, but preference for weather is a subjective thing. Personally, I love the weather in Vermont. I don't like shoveling snow or paying high utility bills, but I will take that any day for the magic of staring out the window on a Vermont day. I love the green in summer and the fact that it rarely gets uncomfortably hot. I am enchanted by the fall. Spring, though muddy, is still far more beautiful than any season in many parts of the country.

This is the first time I will have lived in Vermont as an adult. I lived there for four years as a small child and have spent at least one month per year in the state every year of my life since then.

We will see if after a year of being their full time if I still feel as excited about Vermont, but right now, I couldn't imagine a better place to be starting my new life!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 09:37 AM

3,331 posts, read 8,786,426 times
Welcome! Where are you landing in Vermont?
I echo many of your thoughts. I love it here for all of those reasons you stated above. I was born and raised here and then left after college for "greener pastures". Well...at least for me...the grass is not always greener on the other side. Now I'm back. I had no problem securing good employment when I returned either. Guess I had the right skills/personality/whatever that my employer was looking for. Many of my high school classmates have returned here to raise their families and continue their careers as for them the grass was not greener on the other side either.
Yes there are a lot of negative nellies here. Nothing wrong with that - no everyone has to love the same place. You'll find them on every forum on this website. Its just the nature of the internet. Just because they don't like it here doesn't mean that you won't.
Vermont sure does have its challenges which you've read about many times over here (high cost of housing, low salaries, opiates etc). Is it for everyone? No. Is it for me? Yes. The positives way outweigh the negatives. Is it for you? Sounds like it might be!

Last edited by vter; 04-05-2014 at 09:50 AM..

Old 04-05-2014, 10:08 AM

My husband and I will be starting out in Jeffersonville where my family has a vacation home that they are allowing us to rent as we get settled. Eventually, we'd like to move a bit closer to Burlington (which is where I lived when I previously lived in the state).

I am so glad to hear that you have found happiness in Vermont. I truly believe it is the right place for us and am trying not to let the negative posts get me down.

At the moment, we are both self-employed and can work from anywhere, but in the future working for someone else may be a necessity. I know that employment opportunities might be slightly more limited than in Boston, but there seem to be more than enough opportunities to find meaningful work that will pay the bills. They do seem to pay substantially less in Vermont than for comparable work in Boston, but life in Boston is more expensive in the first place and there is constant pressure to spend. We live in a tiny place where we can't invite people over and our friends who also live in the city are in the same situation so every time we want to be social it involves going out for expensive meals, plays, and concerts. In Vermont, there are so many fun things to do for free (walking, hiking, biking, community events, etc.) that I don't feel like we need as much to live the lives we want to lead.

Old 04-05-2014, 10:09 AM

4,764 posts, read 3,196,227 times
When I was 26, I was leaving the military and people asked me where I was going to go. The first time I was asked that, I was taken aback because it was the first time in my life I got to chose where I wanted to live and didn't even think about it. After less than 2 minutes time (NO JOKE) I said Vermont. They asked me if I had a job there. I said, "No." They asked me if I had family there and I said, "No." They looked at me perplexed and asked why, then was I moving there. I gave them the most bizarre answer they have ever heard, "Because I WANT to!"

My mother was born in Vermont but didn't live here. She would come to Vermont to visit her grandmother & other relatives. She loved it here. When I was young, we used to come up all the time even though my mother's relatives were all gone by then. I loved it as a kid and decided to try it as an adult. I have never regretted that decision. Now, I can't imagine living anyplace else-winters and all.

Cat

Old 04-05-2014, 10:38 AM

17,886 posts, read 54,194,416 times
Funny that you will be going from Cambridge to Cambridge. (Jeff is actually part of the town of Cambridge)

I wish you well.

Old 04-05-2014, 02:13 PM

3,331 posts, read 8,786,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Funny that you will be going from Cambridge to Cambridge. (Jeff is actually part of the town of Cambridge)

I wish you well.

Good catch!!! LOL!!

Old 04-05-2014, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Yes I tried to get the rate from the movers for a local move, but unfortunately they didn't view it that way.

Old 04-05-2014, 03:42 PM

28 posts, read 135,926 times
Did you find a place to live? We are about to move to central Vermont (we've never been there before) in 10 days and couldn't find anything to rent. It's so scary and we don't know what to do. My husband spent many days online checking all the websites possible, and still nothing. What should we do? We can't stay in a hotel for months. But let's say we'll stay in a hotel for a week or two, will we find anything once we're there? So scary to leave without any place to live. Any advice? Thank you so much!

Old 04-05-2014, 03:59 PM

17,886 posts, read 54,194,416 times
If you are looking for a house to rent, you'll likely need to use a realtor. In the meantime:

VermontClassifieds - Search Results

Old 04-05-2014, 04:55 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,842,138 times
OP, congrats to you for following your heart no matter how much negativity you've seen. It always helps to be a "glass is half full" type and excitement/exuberance along with a positive attitude can make any situation work. While others are complaining about "not enough jobs" or "you have to work two" etc....? For me, I don't care because I get to live HERE! While others might complain about cost,sacrifice or any other list of things I've seen; who cares? We all live different lives and value different aspects about our lives.

Always follow your heart and it really sounds like you'll just be so thrilled to be here that nothing anyone else says could bring you down. After all, a lot of people like to do that. Sure you'll meet people who will think you're a nut for moving here but you'll be the one smiling every day, while they grumble about every second. I'm quite adjusted to being the "happy to live in Vt person" compared to quit a lot of folks.

And yes, you can shovel snow at zero in shorts when you are just thrilled to be doing it! I still find it hysterically funny to open the door and snow is halfway up the door and can't see the cars. I shovel everyone out, along with trails around my yard for the dog and sheep. No one else touches a shovel in my house. Right attitude can deal with anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or