Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 07:31 AM

15 posts, read 10,505 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone.

I am moving to VT around August and I have a question or two.

First of all, I am from FL and rarely use a car because everything is within walking distance or you can take the bus. So I am looking into buying a car either in VT or the surrounding states like NY, MA or NH. Does anyone have any experience with buying a car from the surrounding states? What is the process to register an out of state bought car and then trying to register it in VT?
I am getting rid of my car down here in FL because first of, it does not have traction control, and the heating does not work too well.

Second, how lively is the job market around the Burlington area? Are there jobs available for recent grads or are the odds not in my favor? I am a mercenary by trade, therefor can learn just about anything within a few days if not less.

Finally, any thoughts on UVM? I would like to attend grad school there in the next 1-2 years, but would like to hear any thoughts about the school in general, especially if you're well acquainted with UVM MA program in History.

Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 07:38 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pointproven View Post
Second, how lively is the job market around the Burlington area? Are there jobs available for recent grads or are the odds not in my favor? I am a mercenary by trade, therefor can learn just about anything within a few days if not less.

Not in your favor. I went to UVM for undergrad. Except for a few that were tied to family in the area, everyone I graduated with left the state for employment, and that was 20 years ago. It hasn't gotten better. Pay scales are low and COL is comparatively high.

UVM used to be good. It is still good for some programs (I don't know about history). But it is expensive for even in state students and the state funds it very poorly which has led to a decline in quality (at least as far as rankings and perception).

Old 04-09-2014, 07:43 AM

Well that is unfortunate. I don't have much of a choice though cause my fiance lives up there and has a full time job. I have heard similar responses but I plan on staying positive. Thank you for your insight though, I really appreciate it.

Also, I understand how public universities are underfunded by the state. My school is a well established research university, but slim pickings on funding and financial aid.

Cheers!

Old 04-09-2014, 07:56 AM

Public university funding is in decline, for sure, but UVM has always been poorly funded; for decades. It's always been and extremely expensive school as far as state schools go. I went to grad school at a flagship midwestern school and paid of the loan I had quickly it was so cheap. I mean, I think in state tuition is fees is in the $30k a year range now at UVM... more than twice as much as some better flagship universities... it is nuts.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:07 AM

That is unfortunate to hear regarding UVM funding.
I have been fortunate to have not accumulated any loans during undergrad so that is a major plus for me. I'm weighing my options out though.
Grad school is on my mind, but in worst case scenario, I would not be opposed to doing grad school in another state when we more or potentially abroad, since I have that possibility.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:12 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,375,139 times
You might want to consider buying a car closer to where you are. Folks up here sometimes make trips down south to get used cars because the salted roads do a number on vehicles.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:16 AM

You mean get a car down in Florida? If so, that it is a bit of an issue considering the cost of sending it up to VT is $1,000+
I have weighed the option of driving it but it the end the cost comes out the same, if I were to buy it in VT, MA, NH or NY.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:31 AM

You should be able to drive a car up for far less than $1000. Less than half of that.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:35 AM

That would mean buying a car down here now, registering in Florida and paying all those fees, and then in August drive up and then pay registration and fees up there?

Driving wise, about 25 hrs +/- to get up there, gas about $200+/-

Old 04-09-2014, 08:37 AM

Eh, I'd skip one of those steps, not saying which , so the fees wouldn't be a factor (as they'd need to be paid anyway).

I was just considering gas and a cheap motel or two.

I don't know about FL, but when I lived in the South used cars were far far cheaper than up here for similar models.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont