U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 06:34 AM

4,878 posts, read 3,955,931 times

Advertisements

I just booked airline tickets for a week in July to get us out of the oppressive Florida heat and into the beautiful and cooler New England area.

20 Years ago, I worked in New England for about a year, did a lot of site seeing and touristy things. Enjoyed it.

We will be taking the kids now. I am looking for ideas of how to do this in one week. The kids have never been to New England. We plan to avoid cities (like Boston) this trip. We are flying into Hartford, will head North to the southern or mid VT area the first day. I want to spend 2 or 3 nights in each area, then move to a different area prefer B&B but since we have kids, that may not work out. We want a day trip to Mt Washington NH and would also be open to staying 2 nights in Sherbrooke or on the outskirts of Montreal
Other than the Ben And Jerry's factory tour, there is absolutely nothing that we absolutely have to see, only much that we WANT To see. Oh and the saturday we return, we have evening flights so we plan to spend that last day at the Basketball Hall of Fame, I think the kids will enjoy that.
Are there any out of the way gems and nice but not too expensive hotels that we should explore before everything gets sold out ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 07:24 AM

3,328 posts, read 8,766,227 times
How old are the kids?
Smuggler's Notch has some fun adventure type stuff like canopy tours.
Rent bikes and bike on the Stowe Recreation Path. Hike Mount Mansfield.
River tubing on the White River in the Rochester-Stockbridge-Pittsfield area.
Make sure you bring your passports if you plan to venture north of the border. Is there a reason you'd want to stay in Sherbrooke? I'd go for Montreal. If you are looking to save some $$$ up there look at the Sandman Hotel in Longeuil (sp?). Free parking and located across the street from the Metro station.

Old 04-18-2014, 07:45 AM

1,663 posts, read 3,077,764 times
Drive Route 4 through the mountains in Killington, visit Quechee Gorge. The kids might like the science museum in Montshire. The Middlebury Inn has good rates if you visit Middlebury.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:18 AM

4,723 posts, read 3,158,062 times
There is:
-The Lake Champlain Maritime Museum in Vergennes.
-The Shelburne Museum but I have never been there so I can't vouch for it-but I do know it is EXPENSIVE! -Calvin Coolidge homestead in Plymouth.
-Wilson Castle in West Rutland-again never have been there but I know it is EXPENSIVE!
There are several quarries that offer tours.
-Rock of Ages in Barre
-The Marble Museum in Proctor.
-If you are into hiking, there is The Long Trail which runs the length of the state (and the country for that matter).
-Another nice hiking trip is the Falls of Luna in Salisbury.
-A cute out of the way place is the Dog Chapel in St. Johnsbury.
-If you rent a car, take a drive on Route 100. It is a beautiful ride-and you can stop at Glen Moss Falls in Granville.

These are the ones that I can think of off the top of my head.

Cat

Old 04-19-2014, 02:22 PM

4,878 posts, read 3,955,931 times
Our kids are 14 an 11
It will be easy to get them outdoors in Vermont in the summer, because a summer in Florida is so brutal that there are days when we simply cannot go out due to the heat. Any outdoor hiking trails which are not too steep, but scenic and could be traversed in 2 to 3 hours would be ideal.

We visited the living history museum near Burlington when we were there, and are open to that again.
We thought about making a couple of nights in Montreal. We have 8 nights total, we will stay 3 or 3 nights in each location. We were thinking about Visiting Montreal in the middle of the week.

HOWEVER< I need to go ahead and commit to something, because many hotels and B&Bs which allow kids are already selling out

Old 04-19-2014, 04:38 PM

1,008 posts, read 1,411,509 times
Burlington area has the Shelburne museum, Vermont Teddy Bear, and ECHO plus the lake. Waterbury has Ben & Jerry's, and who doesn't like ice cream? A ferry ride over to NY is cool, or a trip up to Mt. Washington in NH. Plenty of hiking opportunities. Gondola to top of Kilington is fun.

Old 04-19-2014, 05:46 PM

3,328 posts, read 8,766,227 times
Oh yes...the ferry. Take the ferry from Burlington across to Port Kent and visit Ausable Chasm. The kids would love that.

Old 04-20-2014, 11:07 PM

5,773 posts, read 12,298,395 times
If Sherbrooke is still in your plans, take exit 29 on I-91 and visit the Haskell Library and Opera house in Derby Line. The building is half in the US, half in Canada and half way between the equator and the north pole - give or take a few seconds of latitude. On the inside it's modeled after the opera house in Boston and nearly as old. The seats are in VT and the stage in Quebec. In the old days before extradition laws were changed, criminals who had escaped either country would be interrogated from the other side of the line on the floor that denotes which country you are standing in. Quirky, yes. But VT quirky at its best. I hope your trip is a great one, LKC!

Old 05-11-2014, 10:43 AM

16,803 posts, read 29,011,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
There is:
-The Lake Champlain Maritime Museum in Vergennes.
-The Shelburne Museum but I have never been there so I can't vouch for it-but I do know it is EXPENSIVE! -Calvin Coolidge homestead in Plymouth.
-Wilson Castle in West Rutland-again never have been there but I know it is EXPENSIVE!
There are several quarries that offer tours.
-Rock of Ages in Barre
-The Marble Museum in Proctor.
-If you are into hiking, there is The Long Trail which runs the length of the state (and the country for that matter).
-Another nice hiking trip is the Falls of Luna in Salisbury.
-A cute out of the way place is the Dog Chapel in St. Johnsbury.
-If you rent a car, take a drive on Route 100. It is a beautiful ride-and you can stop at Glen Moss Falls in Granville.

These are the ones that I can think of off the top of my head.

Cat
Wilson Castle = interesting for some adults (I enjoyed it) potentially boring for young teens & tweens.

Old 05-11-2014, 11:03 AM

16,803 posts, read 29,011,820 times
Bromley - Vermont's Summer Adventure | Aerial Adventure Park | Zip Line | Family Activities
Alpine coasters and slides are great fun.

There's the Timber Ripper Alpine coaster at Okemo and Bromley has an outdoor adventure park during the summer which is perfect for families. My kids (now 21 & 14) love it; we've been going to Bromley for 10 years.

Bromley is right near a Long Trail access point and near Manchester. It is worth considering as you head through southern VT on your way to the Basketball hall of fame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or