U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 03:38 PM

259 posts, read 1,180,073 times

Advertisements

Carol,

If anybody wants low cost burden in New England, they should want New Hampshire. No income tax other than on interest and dividends (of a fairly high amount). Property tax figure roughly 1.8% of the house's market value. Sales tax only on restaurant food. Personally, I think the White Mountains of NH are underappreciated relative to the Green Mountains of Vermont.

LACowboy, no doubt about it, you pay through the nose and then some. But a technical correction nit on your income tax rate.......I believe it is 9.3, but there is a 1% "mental health tax" on incomes over $1M. I say this only to preserve Vermont's status in Wikipedia as the highest pure state income tax of 9.5.

Last edited by casualobserver; 01-08-2008 at 03:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 04:34 PM

23 posts, read 95,694 times
Yes, I think Vermont is largely overrated when compared to New Hampshire. The white mountains are quite pretty. And while NH has only a short seacoast, it is mostly accessible to the public.

Old 01-08-2008, 04:49 PM

1,822 posts, read 4,520,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by possumator View Post
Yes, I think Vermont is largely overrated when compared to New Hampshire. The white mountains are quite pretty. And while NH has only a short seacoast, it is mostly accessible to the public.
Reputations do have a way of influencing others' impressions of a place. However, I have lived in both NH & Vermont and I much prefer Vermont.

Old 01-08-2008, 04:50 PM

Circling back on some of the previous topics in this thread, I would appreciate a little further education.........if a VT house listing said........lp gas, baseboard heat, hot water heat.........would you think that is some sort of duplicative system or that simply you use lp gas to fire a boiler which then pushes the hot water through a baseboard radiator system? Would the latter be a decent way to heat in VT?

Isn't lp gas more costly than oil? Why would someone pick lp gas over oil?

Finally, can I trust there is good building code in VT, so that if a house was built in the last 10 years or so, it would have an excellent snowload rated roofing system, insulation well past usual R-11/R-19 targets, double insulated windows, etc., or would I be at the mercy of whomever built it?

Old 01-08-2008, 07:33 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,374,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casualobserver View Post
Circling back on some of the previous topics in this thread, I would appreciate a little further education.........if a VT house listing said........lp gas, baseboard heat, hot water heat.........would you think that is some sort of duplicative system or that simply you use lp gas to fire a boiler which then pushes the hot water through a baseboard radiator system? Would the latter be a decent way to heat in VT?

Isn't lp gas more costly than oil? Why would someone pick lp gas over oil?

Finally, can I trust there is good building code in VT, so that if a house was built in the last 10 years or so, it would have an excellent snowload rated roofing system, insulation well past usual R-11/R-19 targets, double insulated windows, etc., or would I be at the mercy of whomever built it?
I'd guess it's - lp gas to fire a boiler which circulates hot water through a baseboard system. The hot water may be heated with lp gas too.

First, I'd suggest you look at the S.P.I.R. Your own agent can get this out of the MLS for you. This should tell you a lot about the property which the publicly distributed parts of the MLS data report don't contain. There should also be other documents available - a deed, plot plan, survey, etc. Then I'd suggest a call to the fuel provider to get a sense of how the bills run.

Then, I'd strongly suggest any offer contain a carefully-written contingency which ends with the sentence "inspection to be to purchasers satisfaction". I use this in offers and contracts, and specify a date after which the contract contingency (should the offer become a contract) is deemed waived absent written notice by the prospective buyer. This is a long winded way of saying you should reserve the right to have a professional property inspection, and to withdraw your offer (by a certain date) if not satisfied with the results. Then you're not at anybody's mercy!

Picking the right Professional Property Inspector is important too, I believe.

I hope that helps!

David Beckett

Old 01-08-2008, 07:50 PM

Thank you, David. A property purchase in Vt is a possibility that has not yet matured into a probability. I am just hanging around the forum to develop an initial familiarity.

Old 01-08-2008, 08:10 PM

1,822 posts, read 4,520,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz longue View Post
Then, I'd strongly suggest any offer contain a carefully-written contingency which ends with the sentence "inspection to be to purchasers satisfaction". I use this in offers and contracts, and specify a date after which the contract contingency (should the offer become a contract) is deemed waived absent written notice by the prospective buyer. This is a long winded way of saying you should reserve the right to have a professional property inspection, and to withdraw your offer (by a certain date) if not satisfied with the results. Then you're not at anybody's mercy!

I agree with David! My husband and I have heard of property in other areas being bought & sold with such ferocity that inspections didn't occur. There is no way I'd buy a home anywhere without the contingency David mentioned.

Old 01-16-2008, 06:28 PM

3 posts, read 7,075 times
wow! i've been thinking of moving up to possibly St. Albans or the surrounding area to be close to the boarder because my mom lives on the Canadian side. We presently live in VA but y'all have pretty much scared me away for the moment....I am being realistic about the COL..I do know that it is more expenssive up there...but to read that if I dont have a job first I shouldn't move and that everything is so much more expenssive and apts are hard to find...I may be misunderstanding all this but isnt St Albans a nice place for a family of 5 to start new in a little country setting and yet still have good education and employement?

Old 01-17-2008, 06:45 AM

1,643 posts, read 2,102,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniek93 View Post
wow! i've been thinking of moving up to possibly St. Albans or the surrounding area to be close to the boarder because my mom lives on the Canadian side. We presently live in VA but y'all have pretty much scared me away for the moment....I am being realistic about the COL..I do know that it is more expenssive up there...but to read that if I dont have a job first I shouldn't move and that everything is so much more expenssive and apts are hard to find...I may be misunderstanding all this but isnt St Albans a nice place for a family of 5 to start new in a little country setting and yet still have good education and employement?
Seriously, why would any rational person move to any new local without having a job and housing in place first?

That's a "common sense" thing, not just a "Vermont thing."

IMO.

Old 01-17-2008, 02:45 PM

3 posts, read 7,075 times
i tend to think i am a rational person and to be honest i have been researching...it's still a ways away and i haven't really made my final decision...i guess i haven't put that much effort into the job search and living because i do have the option of living with my mom while school is out and be able to actually go to job interviews in person and be able to do my research in person aswell.....is this not a good plan? not quite sure but any input would be much appreciated....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or