U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2014, 11:47 PM

190 posts, read 532,001 times

Advertisements

Born and raised Vermonter here, and I've never been north of St. Johnsbury and east of Newport. I would love suggestions on a either a campsite or an inn/bb/hotel/cabin to stay in for a night this summer.

I'm an experienced (but not an extreme) hiker. I would prefer a campsite that is less than a 5 mile hike from the road, and bathroom facilities would be a plus (even an outhouse would be fine).

I would really like to stay away from touristy, loud, or kitschy places. Norton Pond looks nice, has anyone had any experience staying around there?

How are the roads? I drive a low car with tight suspension and the drive up to Jay Mountain was pretty rough today.

I'm open to any suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 12:14 PM

16,458 posts, read 21,505,798 times
There's some spots on the Bill Sladyk WMA in Norton and Holland next door. If it's still there, there was a shelter on round pond in Holland, which isn't a bad hike in. It's been years since I was last there, no idea how the road will be. You pass Holland Pond too on the way. There's a couple primitive sites on the Norton side accessed by Hurricane Rd, no pond though. Hurricane Rd is usually okay with a car but there's old logging roads off it you don't want to mistake for the road.

A couple primitive campsites are in the West Mountain WMA. 1 in Ferdinand off South America Pond Rd has an outhouse, if it hasn't been destroyed. That's road accessible though, right off the road. The roads in Ferdinand can be unpredictable because they're basically old logging roads that have been sort of upgraded but they weren't well designed, but you'll know right off if it'll be a problem (potholes or mud). The gates are closed there during mud season but by the summer there shouldn't be serious mud issues. The biggest downside to that site is down the road is a gravel pit, sometimes people use the gravel pit for target shooting but you may have the place to yourself outside of hunting season. The other site is closer to Maidstone Lake, never used that spot myself. There's Maidstone State Park nearby but you'll have to pay for a site, may have people close by in other sites, and the state parks are aimed more at the car camping tourists than the hiking campers in my view...

Gore Mountain in Avery's Gore is a nice hike and I've known people to camp there, the access roads are usually rough with washouts and bad potholes. The road is gated by a bridge and then you can hike from there, or, take another route but that's the easiest way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or