Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 01:28 PM

1,475 posts, read 4,141,228 times

Advertisements

My wife goes through $40 a month feeding birds here in the Champlain Valley.
Probably about a dozen colorful varieties of birds on any given day.. Yes they attract bears, we've had bears in our neighborhoods going through bird feeders. Some people don't want birdfeeders in the neighborhood because of bears. Others don't want birdfeeders because hawks prey on birds at birdfeeders,often morning doves. And hawks are threats to those with hen houses. It can be touchy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2007, 01:52 PM

2,062 posts, read 3,960,464 times
Ironically, I had the same problem with falcons in my back yard.

In Queens.

NYC.

We've got several falcons in the area, and there has been many mornings when I have walked out in back to fill the feeder and I found bird parts laying around. I had no idea what it was (I thought it was the neighbor's cat for awhile) until one morning I looked out the window to see the falcon perched on a branch above the feeder.

My mom thought it was cool until I told her WHY it was perched there.

Old 12-10-2007, 02:00 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,822,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkln View Post
Ironically, I had the same problem with falcons in my back yard.

In Queens.

NYC.

We've got several falcons in the area, and there has been many mornings when I have walked out in back to fill the feeder and I found bird parts laying around. I had no idea what it was (I thought it was the neighbor's cat for awhile) until one morning I looked out the window to see the falcon perched on a branch above the feeder.

My mom thought it was cool until I told her WHY it was perched there.
Sounds like getting mugged/assaulted isn't just a human problem down in NYC. Perhaps they are in a bad neighborhood in NYC birdland.

Old 12-10-2007, 02:16 PM

2,062 posts, read 3,960,464 times
Ha ha...I think the problem is they are in a GOOD neighborhood in birdland - that's why the falcons moved in. But maybe now that the crime rate is going up, things will change!

We're actually in an area with a lot of parks, woods and wetlands...so we have our fair share of wildlife...we actually had a fox roaming the area a few years ago...we used to have pheasants in our yard when I was a kid, but they are long gone now...

Old 12-10-2007, 02:49 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,855,600 times
Being on the bird topic another observation over the past few days in my area has been large flocks of wild turkeys. They like to forage on farm fields and by rough count I have seen 40 to 50 at a time. Also, if anyone is interested in birds the Audubon has a nice area in Huntington with five miles of trails with river and beaver pond ecosystems. Check them out on the web and you can print out a trail map. It's a great place to explore in all seasons and in the summer you can take a nice swim in one of the many pools on the Huntington River. They also have an operating sugar house which come March is always nice to check out. Best of all access to the land is free. The Birds of Vermont Museum is also just up the road on Sherman Hollow Rd in Huntington from the Audubon where the owner Mr. Spears has spent decades creating lifelike carvings of Vermont's birds.

Old 12-10-2007, 06:17 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,065,882 times
I found the Rutland link interesting--we're about an hour East of Rutland so I am assuming I will see some of these birds. I know it takes awhile for the birds to know you are feeding them. My sister said it took a week for them to notice hers (in NY) and she even saw a PARROT.
We acquired our parakeet as a result of backyard bird watching.
Anyhow, I do not want to see any bears, thank you, staring at me at my back door.
I saw my first free hawk last winter (in NY). It had a mouse or something in it's talons. I happened to see it land in our frozen yard and I was very amazed.

Okay, so I'll be patient and report back if I see any birds, bears, or fishers (for Arel )

Old 12-11-2007, 04:55 PM

24 posts, read 99,442 times
Hi GypsySoul--Check out the Vermont Audubon Web site: Audubon Vermont There is a search option, which, when I tried it, yielded a wealth of information on feeding birds. There are lots of very active local chapters in Vermont--bird geeks everywhere! The e-mail address provided on the site could probably hook you up with the one closest to you. Good luck!

Old 12-11-2007, 06:23 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,065,882 times
Thanks, Caprt! That site is very interesting. I am going to keep an eye out for my little friends. They were here in the fall due to the landlord's poor upkeep of the 'backyard' so there are lots of bushes and so on..
I may stick up a pine cone feeder outside my window, too.

Old 12-12-2007, 07:17 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,660,508 times
Our feeders are active here in Malletts Bay. We are having a BIG squirrel issue this year. We are waiting for then to settle down for the winter and then will continue to fill the feeders. We have tried everything and they still get to the feeders. They will wipe out a full feeder in one day. Remember to keep filling your feeders throughout the winter. The birds once they come will rely on the feeders throughout the winter.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:57 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,822,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vette View Post
Our feeders are active here in Malletts Bay. We are having a BIG squirrel issue this year. We are waiting for then to settle down for the winter and then will continue to fill the feeders. We have tried everything and they still get to the feeders. They will wipe out a full feeder in one day. Remember to keep filling your feeders throughout the winter. The birds once they come will rely on the feeders throughout the winter.
Yup..they are relentless. We bought a couple of those feeders that are supposed to be squirrel proof and they work well. Squirrels climb all over them but can't get to the goods and are resigned to go for the leftovers below.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont