U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 08:35 AM

35,324 posts, read 25,206,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmioquartiere View Post
I wonder if Connecticut will help with what is sure to be a costly lawsuit against a state that's broke..but we all feel good now.

So because corporations will sue to keep their profits means the state shouldn't fight for it citizens interests?

We should just let the corporations continue to do whatever they want because they might sue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 08:00 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,067,536 times
I think there should be labeling so we know what we are putting in our bodies. There will be a big lawsuit for sure. The issue is everyone thinks all GMO's are bad. That is not the case. Diabetics, many of whom would be dead without GMO's. Insulin, the medication that helps regulate carbohydrate and fat metabolism in the body is a GMO. That is one example.
I was watching a local news story on this last night. The area the state will probably have a hard time fighting in court is the level of evidence out there. There is no evidence that points to GMO's being bad for health. In fact, about 98% of all farm good produced in Vermont are GMO. Even many of the organic farms are using GMO seeds to increase yields and profits.
This is going to be interesting to see how it plays out.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:29 AM

41,492 posts, read 51,406,502 times
There is nothing like losing control of information about its product that will **** off a corporation more thoroughly. I really appreciate the ingredient lists on most food products even if I have no idea what the chemicals actually are. All food, including meats and dairy, should have proper labels listing GMO if appropriate.

I do not have any aversion to selective breeding (old style genetic modification), but mixing genetic material across phylum's does create some concerns about long term effects. These should be on labels.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:35 AM

35,324 posts, read 25,206,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vette View Post
The area the state will probably have a hard time fighting in court is the level of evidence out there. There is no evidence that points to GMO's being bad for health. In fact, about 98% of all farm good produced in Vermont are GMO. Even many of the organic farms are using GMO seeds to increase yields and profits.
This is going to be interesting to see how it plays out.

I agree with this, but lets say they aren't bad for you. So what? Some people just want to know the information to be able to make choices for themselves. If the citizenry wants the info for their own reasons to decide for themselves based on their values, why shouldn't they be allowed to get the info?

There are issues more than health at play. For instance, if a gene from a pig is put into another animal or plant (they've put spinach genes into pigs, it's not far out there conceptually) and a person's religious views prevent them from eating pig... should they not be able to know that the other animal or plant contains pig genome and then they or their religious authority be able to decide whether it is ok for them to consume the GMO?

Old 05-13-2014, 08:44 AM

16,960 posts, read 22,280,061 times
I don't believe GMO's are that widespread in VT farms. Hybrids are, but they're not GMO's. GMO's are not allowed in certified organic operations: USDA Blog Organic 101: Can GMOs Be Used in Organic Products?

Genetically engineered plants that produce pesticides or with the "terminator gene" that produces sterile seed are just begging for problems IMHO.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:15 AM

16,833 posts, read 29,136,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmioquartiere View Post
From what I hear it will cost Vermont taxpayers many millions in court, oh well as long as everyone feels good.
Have you any articles you might link? I welcome the opportunity to read up on this.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:16 AM

16,833 posts, read 29,136,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLees View Post
Connecticut passed a bill a year or 2 ago which would require all gmo foods to be labeled. It wont go into effect until 5 surrounding states pass aimilar legislation. So 1 down, 4 to go! Thank you again Vermonters for your independent streak and continuous efforts to do what is right.
I doubt NY will get on board. Our official state snack (our legislature hard at work) is a yogurt produced with milk from cows given GMO feed.

Old 05-13-2014, 01:52 PM

5,439 posts, read 14,788,437 times
that brings up a point ....... under this bill would milk or yogurt from cows who ate GMO corn count as GMO and thus require labeling? i am thinking no.

Old 05-14-2014, 07:51 AM

41,492 posts, read 51,406,502 times
Please remember the gasoline additive companies denied that Tetra Ethyl Lead was a problem and had their own corrupted scientists to back them up for decades before the overwhelming evidence that lead, in whatever concentration, is toxic to living things including their ultimate customers.

I have no more reason to believe Monsanto and/or the big Pharma companies about either the efficacy or safety of their profits. A am willing to believe they will scheme, lie and distort in order to protect the expected return on their investments. After all making money, not the long term safety or improved health, of their customers is why they exist. To act otherwise is the greatest sin a company can do in the eyes of Mammon.

Old 05-14-2014, 05:19 PM

890 posts, read 2,567,619 times
It's really meaningless, feel-good legislation that doesn't really translate into any tangible benefits for consumers or Vermonters. Those who are already preoccupied with food and what they eat are not likely to buy from sources that may sell GMO products (they already go to co-ops, organics farms, etc.). I bet the labels will be so confusing to read for the average person, they won't know what the heck they say. There's already too much information on them as it is.

Politicians are disingenuous and sign these laws for the photo ops they bring, and the news sound bite that will make them look like progressive, caring individuals. It's like the law passed in VT about a year ago that outlawed fracking - even though there are no appreciable shale deposits in Vermont and not much danger of it ever taking place! But it made the electorate "feel good" for a few minutes - until the gas companies from Canada swooped down and the state basically forced landowners to comply with their plans to run gas lines under their property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont