Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 12:06 PM

371 posts, read 537,404 times

Advertisements

Does any forum member have any leads on a one-bedroom apartment in Vermont? I sold my house in Windsor, and am living in a very tiny studio in Hartland that is twenty feet from Route 5 and the almost unbelievable amount of heavy equipment traffic that rattles the building every minute. I am retired, very quiet, have a small well-behaved mini-Aussie and a cat and I am looking for a long-term rental. My budget is up to $800 to include heat.

I hate to leave Vermont, but there are very few affordable rentals here and the ones that allow pets are often very dumpy or (as in my case), in a bad location. I have been looking over in Maine only because there seem to be so many more apartments available. I have looked at NNEREN and Dartmouth's listings, as well as Craigslist and local papers. Getting discouraged
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 12:41 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,402,242 times
$800 with heat is going to be a problem for the landlord. Work out the math for yourself - heating costs, property and income taxes, insurance, maintenance, snow removal, etc.

If you have limited amounts of money available, you may be better off moving out of New England to a real low cost state. Rural and small town homes around here can rent for less than your budget.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:48 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,493,154 times
The cheapest part of the state is probably parts of the NEK and you'd have trouble even there on that budget with heat included.

Old 05-29-2014, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
$800 with heat is going to be a problem for the landlord. Work out the math for yourself - heating costs, property and income taxes, insurance, maintenance, snow removal, etc.

If you have limited amounts of money available, you may be better off moving out of New England to a real low cost state. Rural and small town homes around here can rent for less than your budget.
I am paying 795, including heat, now but the location is bad. I do see places from time to time in this range, just not lately. I saw a nice one in Chester, but the heat is just a gas fireplace and that would be expensive. If you get far enough away from the major employment centers, the rentals are out there. I am also on a few wait lists for senior housing, so maybe that will work out. i couldn't live in the south....once was enough for me.

Old 05-29-2014, 04:32 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,267,750 times
Do you want to stay in your area? You could try St. Johnsbury and Lyndonville. Rents are a little cheaper up that way.

Old 05-29-2014, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
Do you want to stay in your area? You could try St. Johnsbury and Lyndonville. Rents are a little cheaper up that way.
I would like to stay in the Upper Valley, but that may be impossible. I've been looking a little south of here, and the rents get cheaper as you head towards Brattleboro and Bennington. I like the idea of going further south, as my son lives in Massachusetts and I would be a bit closer.

Old 05-30-2014, 02:43 AM

3 posts, read 4,558 times
There are still apartments in Lebanon for $800 including all utilities. Finding one that allows pets is more of a challenge. Have you contacted any of nonprofit organizations that offer moderate income places? Also, call some local pet organizations and tell them your dilemma they may know of pet friendly landlords.

Old 05-30-2014, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klos360 View Post
There are still apartments in Lebanon for $800 including all utilities. Finding one that allows pets is more of a challenge. Have you contacted any of nonprofit organizations that offer moderate income places? Also, call some local pet organizations and tell them your dilemma they may know of pet friendly landlords.
I would like to stay in Vermont, as all the wait lists for senior housing (non-profits) I am on are in Vermont and allow pets but you need to be a Vermont resident to obtain an apartment when one is available. I can't find anything comparable on the NH side of the river.

I've found a couple of possibilities on Craigslist so maybe something will shake out. It is impossible to predict when a non-profit apartment will become available and though the place I am in is nearly unbearable, in will quiet down in winter when the construction season ends. Never thought I would look forward to winter!

Old 06-01-2014, 06:35 AM

Default Montpelier parking

So I am going to look at a really nice apartment in my price range in downtown Montpelier on State Street. The owner of the building mentioned that there are renters with cars but parking is a bear. Should I simply not bother looking at this? I don't want to give up my car as I do need to go to the doctor, etc. but if there is literally no place to leave it, especially in winter during the parking ban, then I'll have to pass. If anyone is familiar with parking as a renter in MP, please share your thoughts!

Old 06-02-2014, 08:04 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,661,915 times
I do not rent or own in Montpelier, but I go to Montpelier every week. Parking is a drawback for sure. That said, it also depends on where the apartment is located. Some of the side streets are not much of an issue, but that does not take winter parking into consideration.

Edit: Sorry, just re-read your post. On State street there is parking, but most of what is available is paid parking. It averages out to about $50/month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont