U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 04:03 PM

16,958 posts, read 22,274,224 times

Advertisements

High property taxes will continue concentrating property into the hands of the wealthy, robbing the majority of the people of their rightful share of the land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 04:14 PM

13 posts, read 14,167 times
I went on nneren.com/
taxes showed a little more than 2400.00 dollars for the year. So realtor.com was wrong. Still seems much lower than dutchess county NY. You can buy a house in Dutchess county for 50,000 and pay between 4-6,000 a year in taxes and live in a bad neighborhood. I will need to do more research now that I know realtor.com are full of liars.

How does that tax relief work on income? Would someone making 50-60k qualify for relief? Is it on a sliding scale or does the relief cutoff completely once your income is above x amount?

Old 06-03-2014, 04:20 PM

2,206 posts, read 1,349,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonhpi View Post

How does that tax relief work on income? Would someone making 50-60k qualify for relief? Is it on a sliding scale or does the relief cutoff completely once your income is above x amount?
You have to read the rules in the link I gave above in post #4. It's complicated, but you can get some tax relief making as much as $97,000 per year.

I'm no expert. I found this info by doing research on city-data and the state tax website.

Old 06-03-2014, 04:21 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,155,241 times
seems to me that realtor.com will show the actual property taxes for NY state homes, NH homes, but do not show the property taxes for VT and for homes in Maine for some odd reason..under property history for each particular home for sale. All in all, I don't think anywhere in New England is a reasonable, and affordable place to live for those who are lower to middle class. Just a pricy part of the USA, and Maine has the highest excise taxes in the USA....for cars, along with highest heating costs. Cause all the homes are oil heat. Though there are a few counties in Maine near the NH border, or up in Northern Maine that have low property taxes.

Old 06-03-2014, 05:16 PM

5,439 posts, read 14,784,739 times
I think you would get a decent deduction in your taxes.
there is a work sheet that will tell you your adjustment, but i am not sure if you'll be able to find the info needed without doing a little more work, you need the breakdown of the municipal and school tax, plus the school code. which is on the 2nd tab of this xls... the limit is 90k-105k so you would be well below it.

http://www.state.vt.us/tax/pdf.word....alculation.xls

Homestead Declarations and Property Tax Adjustments

you might need to get a tax card from the town to show the break down and try to get a better idea.

Old 06-03-2014, 06:08 PM

16,958 posts, read 22,274,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrider434 View Post
seems to me that realtor.com will show the actual property taxes for NY state homes, NH homes, but do not show the property taxes for VT and for homes in Maine for some odd reason..under property history for each particular home for sale. All in all, I don't think anywhere in New England is a reasonable, and affordable place to live for those who are lower to middle class. Just a pricy part of the USA, and Maine has the highest excise taxes in the USA....for cars, along with highest heating costs. Cause all the homes are oil heat. Though there are a few counties in Maine near the NH border, or up in Northern Maine that have low property taxes.
Maybe a lot of homes in Maine have oil heat in them, but there's nothing stopping you from burning wood instead, and woodlots are cheap in Maine too.

Wood heat is good here too but VT land is expensive.

Old 06-03-2014, 06:28 PM

819 posts, read 1,270,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonhpi View Post
I went on nneren.com/
taxes showed a little more than 2400.00 dollars for the year. So realtor.com was wrong. Still seems much lower than dutchess county NY. You can buy a house in Dutchess county for 50,000 and pay between 4-6,000 a year in taxes and live in a bad neighborhood. I will need to do more research now that I know realtor.com are full of liars.

Depending on where you are looking in VT, I wouldn't advertise you are looking for or receiving tax relief......it may not go over well with the folks paying full boat.......or more.....

Old 06-03-2014, 07:04 PM

plus there are no property tax exemptions for service connected veterans anywhere in NY and in New England, I love the area, and I am from there originally,....but I wont see my money pour down the drain there in my retirement years, when there are so many other parts of the USA have much lower utility costs, no taxes on personal property, lower property taxes, and exemptions for veterans.

Last edited by folkguitarist555; 06-03-2014 at 07:40 PM..

Old 06-04-2014, 04:42 AM

69,240 posts, read 51,455,826 times
My Dad pays $21,000 a year in taxes. 1/3 acre lot. 2700 sq ft home. That should make us all feel better now. lol He's in a suburb outside NYC close to coast.

I pay $7000/yr only 25 minutes from him in a woodsy area of CT. 1/2 acre lot. 2500sq ft home.

Old 06-04-2014, 11:42 AM

and folks in South Carolina, Idaho, Wyoming, and Arkansas for example, ... pay maybe around 1000 a year for a 2500 sq ft home with a few acres...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or