U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2014, 01:04 PM

16,960 posts, read 22,277,190 times

Advertisements

SCOV Law: Having a Blast!

Big win for big money, everyone else loses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 01:07 PM

35,324 posts, read 25,198,500 times
What is groundbreaking about this? I own property and I always really knew I didn't actually own the property, I own a set of rights granted with the property. Generally here they're sold together, some places they're split out (water rights, mineral rights, etc). Those rights that I (we) own are not unlimited.

Old 06-19-2014, 01:19 PM

16,960 posts, read 22,277,190 times
Possession has always been one of the rights bundled with ownership, that the owner has unless it is rented/leased out to a tenant. Now if someone with a lot of money comes in nearby, you or invited guests on your "property" can be criminally charged as trespassers even though no change in ownership has taken place.

Old 06-19-2014, 01:28 PM

17,889 posts, read 54,207,525 times
<shrug> From a quick perusal - The blast zone is a temporary easement. I have power lines on an easement going through my property. I cannot kick off the linesmen or arborists who cut the brush under them. (And Alabama is a lot stricter on property rights than Vermont.) I also remember when I-89 was blasted in back of our house.

The problem with the case is that the semantics and legal redress are mixed up. During blasting, protestors could have been told to move back a safe distance for their own safety, handed a statement warning that if they remained in the blast zone during the blast that the power company would NOT be responsible for injuries, and that it could sue the protestors for damages including the cost of their forcible removal. If they refused to sign and resisted, they could then be forcibly removed and possibly arrested for endangering public safety. Once the blast was complete, they could return.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont