U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 07:53 PM

3,079 posts, read 3,719,415 times

Advertisements

Oh I like what I get for paying my Vermont taxes. Watching the stroller parade of unwed mothers up and down the main drag. Nice to see Vermont cares about children *cough cough*. What are we at now, 6 % are born as heroin addicts because the mothers are addicted?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 07:59 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,659,290 times
Not to mention fracking will probably start in the near future. My family and I are looking around Johnson, not Middlebury.

I'm not expecting anywhere to be perfect. I KNOW there will be things I don't like / agree with no matter where we live. I've been in NC 14 years, long enough to know I'm done. Things are not changing, at least not for the better.

Old 06-26-2014, 08:14 PM

56 posts, read 64,487 times
Looking more at Middlebury, I don't think it is for us. What drew you to Johnson? I'm logging in all the spots were to hit on our trip north to scope it out some more.

Old 06-26-2014, 08:15 PM

56 posts, read 64,487 times
Yep. Fracking & the spill were the last straws.

Old 06-26-2014, 08:27 PM

890 posts, read 2,565,789 times
I didn't realize they had shale deposits in NC. What spill are you talking about? you have to realize that these problems exists everywhere. So Vermont doesn't allow fracking but it does allow gigantic wind turbines which can ruin a ecosystem just as good. And despite the publicity around their phony no-fracking ban (Vermont doesn't have any appreciable shale deposits) they were cutting deals with Canadian gas companies to run gas pipes under private property despite owner opposition.

I don't know how old you are, but if you're over 30 you are old enough to know there is no real "escape" in life. there is always some other problem just as bad, or even worse, that awaits you wherever you go.

Old 06-26-2014, 08:31 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,875,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happeemommee View Post
Not to mention fracking will probably start in the near future. My family and I are looking around Johnson, not Middlebury.

I'm not expecting anywhere to be perfect. I KNOW there will be things I don't like / agree with no matter where we live. I've been in NC 14 years, long enough to know I'm done. Things are not changing, at least not for the better.
Where did you come from before the 14 years? I talked to a construction worker when we were on vacation in Vermont and felt so sorry for him and the $8000 in taxes he was having to pay just for the privilege of living in his home. That is like a house payment. You can pay your house off but taxes follow you to the grave.

At least you will be going to an area just like the North Carolina mountains. When we got up there I told my husband I was so disappointed to have driven a thousand miles and could see no difference between there and where I grew up in our mountains--that was until we went shopping. Shopping is all we did. I refuse to pay 4 times what things are worth.

I wanted some real maple syrup. A little leaf shaped container that would fit in the palm of my hand was $5. That would be about enough for one pancake. Could that be why the people there are more skinny? They can't afford to eat.

Good luck in your new area.

Last edited by NCN; 06-26-2014 at 08:43 PM..

Old 06-27-2014, 03:57 AM

5,439 posts, read 14,774,922 times
8000 taxes would be a 500k house and property here. I'm just saying because it's not like that is a starter home.

Old 06-27-2014, 05:59 AM

16,945 posts, read 22,257,781 times
It might not have started out at that price.

Old 06-27-2014, 06:26 AM

3,079 posts, read 3,719,415 times
Maybe assessed at $500k, which means the sales price would be about half that or less. We are at the point in Vermont where property values have dropped so much, the taxes paid into escrow are far more than the loan repayment.

Old 06-27-2014, 06:37 AM

10,814 posts, read 15,118,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cackalassie View Post
Hey folks,

My husband I are planning to flee the mess in NC (specifically politics and the blight of land consumption). We're looking at Middlebury, Montpelier, and St Johnsbury. We've visited all three in the past, though not as a potential place to live, as we were wearing our rose-colored tourist glasses. My husband has a job and can telecommute from anywhere. I'm thinking we'd be okay up your way financially, at least when I've run the numbers we are - he makes $100K and I don't work. We want up there what we have down here and is being encroached upon by "progress" - a small farm, but the way it used to be. That way of life is long gone, even in the nooks and crannies of the deepest mountains.

Thing is, I'm Southern. I wouldn't normally have considered that a big deal, except for the shock of the winter season, but in reading past threads, I was floored to learn that Southerners have a reputation of being fake. Seriously, that was news to me. I'm from a rednecky, farming family in the NC mountains, and the NEK is right up my alley. Junk and plunder on the front porch is part of the scenery down in these parts. I've got an accent, and I say funny things that even folks down in the NC lowlands scratch their heads about. So while I might think I fit in just fine in the NEK, I've gotten the message on the forums that a big-time NYC urbanite might be more welcome than the likes of me? Is that accurate? If I were single it'd be one thing, but I've got kids, and I want them to fit in and find the Vermont love. I tend to jabber, flirt with babies and old men, and sometimes touch strangers for emphasis when talking. I don't even think about it. But if that's going to alienate my family, I need to find somewhere else to put down roots.

We're liberal, certainly crunchy by NC standards, secular homeschoolers, who like to do a lot of outdoor sports, specifically xc-skiing, fishing, and sculling. We're looking for a super-solid community of friends and neighbors. I know that comes with time, I'm from the mountains, after all.

Any clarity on the Southern issue would be appreciated, or any other moving thoughts. Had no idea folks felt hostility for Southerners. I just thought it was a German/Italian, Labrador/Shepherd sort of thing. One is friendly and boisterous, and the other more stoic and reserved.

Thanks a bunch!

VT politics is better than NC ? ! Taxes ! ? Liberalism rules in VT !

Every day we're seeing more and more VT license plate tags here in Henderson County and in the upstate of SC.

People are fleeing the northeast for a better life; and yes, many are heading south. They are also heading to VA, SC, GA, AZ, CO. Just because husband has a high salary, doesn't mean you have to blow it on high taxes and cost of living (highest in the USA in VT and northeast in general).

Be careful what you wish for.

Last edited by QuilterChick; 06-27-2014 at 06:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or