U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 08:04 PM

56 posts, read 64,596 times

Advertisements

Thanks, Jack!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 08:29 PM

890 posts, read 2,567,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cackalassie View Post
Well, we obviously have different political perspectives. The spill has many facets, something that has likely been hashed out already on the NC forum. I love NC, I love the mountains. True no place is perfect and there is no magical place that offers an escape to utopia, but NC is rife with hogtying. We have friends who are Vermonters, so I'm fairly versed in VT issues. While not perfect, VT comes closest to the mountain childhood I had, and want my children to have.
Truthfully, I cannot fathom going to VT and shopping. We are outside taking in all the active beauty. The Blue Ridge, to me, are beautiful at a distance and in some coves and hollers, but development is a blight when there are too few regulations and too much money passing through political channels. Also the food was no more or less expensive than we eat out back home, and was fabulous. Every time we go up there I am astounded by the beauty and the access to nature.
Well, you know what they say - you can't eat the scenery!

Seriously though, we all have been to lovely places that touch our hearts and our souls. But it's still usually just a fantasy - a dream of what we picture what the ideal life would be. I have found that the places you are the happiest in, you have ended up due to happenstance. That's the irony of life. I am from an area of upstate NY that is equal in beauty to Vermont. And when I visit I wonder why I don't move back there. But I am also aware of the realities of life there - the harsh, long winters, the high taxes, the rural poverty uncomfortably juxtaposed with wealthy out-of-towners who own second homes there, and the general lack of opportunity for young people. If they want good jobs/ careers, they would probably have to move away to the city. The same can be said about the young in Vermont.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:39 PM

2,867 posts, read 2,989,860 times
Was born and grew up in northern New England. Have lived in the piedmont of NC and in WV. Find NC women to be a little too flirty for my tastes. As a true New Englander, am NOT a touchy-feely type. I think the big thing that would be a put-off for me coming from a southerner living in New England, especially northern New England, would be the "southern pride" and "you're a Yankee" attitude. If you are going to cop that "we're still fighting the civil war" s**t then go back home, seriously. I didn't like it when I lived in NC but put up with it because I was on their turf. But I sure as hell wouldn't put with that rebel bulls**t in my own neck of the woods. Not even as a joke. Because I know from some "down yonder" by putting it as a joke it was a way to insult "Yankees" and get away with it. You want to get along up in northern New England as far as I am concerned drop the civil war/yankee crap and just treat people as people. Stop seeing everything as black and white, north and south.

Old 06-27-2014, 10:11 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,661,545 times
Wow! Are you being serious right now? What a huge generalization!

Old 06-27-2014, 11:14 PM

205 posts, read 201,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
Was born and grew up in northern New England. Have lived in the piedmont of NC and in WV. Find NC women to be a little too flirty for my tastes. As a true New Englander, am NOT a touchy-feely type. I think the big thing that would be a put-off for me coming from a southerner living in New England, especially northern New England, would be the "southern pride" and "you're a Yankee" attitude. If you are going to cop that "we're still fighting the civil war" s**t then go back home, seriously. I didn't like it when I lived in NC but put up with it because I was on their turf. But I sure as hell wouldn't put with that rebel bulls**t in my own neck of the woods. Not even as a joke. Because I know from some "down yonder" by putting it as a joke it was a way to insult "Yankees" and get away with it. You want to get along up in northern New England as far as I am concerned drop the civil war/yankee crap and just treat people as people. Stop seeing everything as black and white, north and south.
I am unfortunately a "southerner" and I don't like it much here myself. I also don't put up with that BS either. If i find out someone is from up north and someone is calling them a Yankee or what not, I tell them to ****. No one is going to bully someone else on my watch. I also don't have "southern pride". What do I have to be proud of? A bunch of states that had slaves and are now as poor as hell?

I also articulate my words and I fought very hard to not have a southern accent, but people from the north can usually tell a little bit that I am from somewhere..usually I get midwest and I am fine with that. The other thing is that I am blunt and tell it like it is. I see that as a negative and I guess southern people can't handle it. One person even told me that I should have been born up north lol.

Old 06-28-2014, 12:55 AM

890 posts, read 2,567,841 times
I would take being a called a Yankee as a compliment. It's only a pejorative if you feel that it is. Especially if I was a native New Englander - what's wrong with being called what you are? Besides, I think regional pride and identity is a good thing. We have already lost so much of that through the homogenizing effects of TV, the internet and social media.

Old 06-28-2014, 05:55 AM

Wow, Dan, that pretty much sums up the hostility I referred to earlier, makes me think it's not directed solely at southerners. We come in all forms, it's too bad that you've righteously generalized a whole culture based on women like me and nutty confederate pride. Lord, I don't who you were associating with, but they don't represent my people, and I'm as backwoods mountain as you can get in this state. I know that twisted thinking still exists, I'm not denying it, but I also know that an overwhelming majority of people do not think that way nor do they put up with it either. I don't know that I would say that I am "proud" to be a southerner, but I'm not ashamed either. It's something that defines me, just like the accent I make no effort to hide. I don't doubt my flirtiness would make you twitchy, but I can smoke a whole hog like nobody's business, and I'm sure after a bite of that you'd find you could stomach a Southern woman after all.

Old 06-28-2014, 06:08 AM

When I was wee, there was man from Maine that moved down near us. He'd bring us down moose meat and syrup, and we'd send him back up with boiled peanuts. He was rough, not for our parts, but he was mighty proud to be called a Yankee, and seemed to sum up all of the up-by-the-bootstraps stereotypes of New England. As I remember, he was pretty damn charming and flirty. Relation of yours, Dan? 'Cause underneath all that crust, I know you've got in you.

Old 06-28-2014, 08:00 AM

3,079 posts, read 3,724,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cackalassie View Post
Wow, Dan, that pretty much sums up the hostility I referred to earlier, makes me think it's not directed solely at southerners. We come in all forms, it's too bad that you've righteously generalized a whole culture based on women like me and nutty confederate pride. Lord, I don't who you were associating with, but they don't represent my people, and I'm as backwoods mountain as you can get in this state. I know that twisted thinking still exists, I'm not denying it, but I also know that an overwhelming majority of people do not think that way nor do they put up with it either. I don't know that I would say that I am "proud" to be a southerner, but I'm not ashamed either. It's something that defines me, just like the accent I make no effort to hide. I don't doubt my flirtiness would make you twitchy, but I can smoke a whole hog like nobody's business, and I'm sure after a bite of that you'd find you could stomach a Southern woman after all.
LOL I make a mean sweet potato pecan pie. Makes most southern gentlemen rethink any stereotypes of yankee women they may have. Maybe you and I should throw a picnic.

Old 06-28-2014, 08:26 AM

Hell yes, BBQ, bluegrass, and beer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or