U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 05:40 AM

1,943 posts, read 3,239,395 times

Advertisements

Is high speed internet a requirement? If so that will really dictate where you narrow your search to. Some towns have great service, others don't, and even in the ones that do, location within the town can be a big variable in the service you get.

We had to bypass several homes when we were looking because of lack of internet service.

Asides from that...I was going to suggest Middlebury, Montpelier, Waterbury and the Waitsfield/Warren area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2014, 07:38 AM

2,867 posts, read 2,990,380 times
Check out Newport on Lake Memphremagog.

Old 07-07-2014, 06:59 PM

130 posts, read 238,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriz View Post
Montpelier is just...not my style. Hate the roads there(you would think they would try and fix the roads of the capital a little better), can't stand the traffic or the drivers(better even in Burlington)...many reasons really.
I agree. The driving is hideous. Snow removal/plowing is hideous, too.

Old 07-07-2014, 07:25 PM

1,018 posts, read 1,423,007 times
Waterbury! Beer Mecca of Vermont.

Old 07-08-2014, 11:46 AM

10,312 posts, read 11,237,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoonalt View Post
Waterbury! Beer Mecca of Vermont.
Only if you're a member in good standing of the cult of excessive hoppiness.

Old 07-08-2014, 11:48 AM

10,312 posts, read 11,237,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippylou View Post
I agree. The driving is hideous. Snow removal/plowing is hideous, too.
It's true that for about fifteen minutes twice a day driving through downtown Montpelier is pretty bad. That's not good enough to qualify for "hideous" in my book.

As for snow removal, in my 30 + years here I've generally been very impressed with how well Montpelier clears the roads.

Old 07-08-2014, 03:07 PM

130 posts, read 238,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
It's true that for about fifteen minutes twice a day driving through downtown Montpelier is pretty bad. That's not good enough to qualify for "hideous" in my book.

As for snow removal, in my 30 + years here I've generally been very impressed with how well Montpelier clears the roads.
I do find the long term residents defend Montpelier to the core, and I understand that. I managed a six year sentence. The main roads are kept clear, I agree. Sidewalks in town and other roads are very bad compared to where I live now (out of town). The snowbanks make it hard to virtually impossible to climb out of a car (if you parked properly in the first place), or even cross the road easily. Walking in Montpelier in the winter is not fun, especially if you're not fully able-bodied. I dread to think how people with wheelchairs deal with it. Well, I know how they deal with it. They're stuck inside for months on end like my neighbor was. It was an amazing revelation to move to a town that fixes and plows their residential sidewalks on a regular basis. The bubble had popped for me. Truly.

For me, driving is hideous during those rush hours twice a day and it really doesn't need to be as it's no real volume of traffic. It's just plain bad drivers. Most other times (like at lunch) it's very annoying/bordering hideous depending who's on the road.

I thought I was the only person living in Montpelier that hated the driving so it was quite a relief to see others thought the same. And it was an even bigger relief to move away.

Montpelier is like Marmite. Love or hate.
Attached Thumbnails
Favorite towns in top half of VT?-gwbush-marmitesqueezy.jpg  

Old 07-08-2014, 05:53 PM

221 posts, read 266,624 times
While I don't live in Montpelier, I drive there quite often, in different times of day. There was not a single time I was there that it was not bad. Also, people talk about Burlington drivers but those are very courteous drivers if you compare them to Montpelier drivers. Sorry, just an observation. We don't all have to agree...

Old 07-09-2014, 12:23 PM

5,439 posts, read 14,791,395 times
I am in Montpelier like once a week. I find it pretty easy going and I am pretty picky.
I like montpelier and go there to get stuff done but would rather live in a more rural area and closer to outdoor activities so we live in the waitsfield warren area. My biggest complaint here is the cost and availability of quality food when we are not able to get Locally grown stuff. The co-op in Montpelier has a pretty good selection but is not cheap.

Old 07-24-2014, 02:52 PM

106 posts, read 61,834 times
Newport was a nice town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or