U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-09-2014, 01:17 PM
 
124 posts, read 153,359 times
Reputation: 225

Advertisements

A smoker doesn't have be smoking to stink up a room. The putrid smell coming off their body and clothes is enough to make anyone gag. If I walked into the same room and let go a major beef-a-roni, I would be pummeled.
I would never tell anyone they shouldn't be smoking. People can smoke themselves literally to death for all I care. Cigarette makers should be free to make their products as strong and addictive as they want. If cigarettes could kill in 3 months instead of thirty years, there would be a lot fewer airpollutindrugaddicts, one way or another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-17-2015, 11:45 AM
 
Location: Milwaukee
4,270 posts, read 2,094,484 times
Reputation: 2675
Perhaps they should revisit the idea of keeping smokers confined to the indoors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2015, 06:16 AM
 
Location: Milwaukee
4,270 posts, read 2,094,484 times
Reputation: 2675
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
Perhaps they should revisit the idea of keeping smokers confined to the indoors.
Indoors. In an area not accessible to the public. With no employees. A "private club" exemption.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2015, 01:37 PM
 
1,644 posts, read 2,110,253 times
Reputation: 1431
I agree it's an overreaching law but I can't say that I disagree with the premise. Smoking with your kids in the car is just awful and I don't care if you have a window cracked either.

I grew up with a heavy smoking father. When he finally quit (after a massive heart attack) the entire family went through post-smoking symptoms. In the 11 years he lived after that (before pancreatic cancer took him at 57) he was always vocal about how sorry and stupid he was all those years.

I was just in Vegas for NFL Wild Card weekend and I was literally shocked at the amount of smoking indoors (it's legal there). It permeates everything, it is oppressive even in the newer casinos with top-notch air extractors. There is literally no where on the east coast where you would ever be inside and surrounded by smokers... and I'm glad of it.

My little sister, the only one of my 3 siblings who became a smoker, is quitting right now for the umpteenth time, she's made it 32 days and counting. So far, her "reward" for quitting was walking pneumonia.

I hope she makes it stick this time because she's my favorite and I want her to live a long, healthy life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2015, 01:48 PM
 
Location: Milwaukee
4,270 posts, read 2,094,484 times
Reputation: 2675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
I agree it's an overreaching law but I can't say that I disagree with the premise. Smoking with your kids in the car is just awful and I don't care if you have a window cracked either.

I grew up with a heavy smoking father. When he finally quit (after a massive heart attack) the entire family went through post-smoking symptoms. In the 11 years he lived after that (before pancreatic cancer took him at 57) he was always vocal about how sorry and stupid he was all those years.

I was just in Vegas for NFL Wild Card weekend and I was literally shocked at the amount of smoking indoors (it's legal there). It permeates everything, it is oppressive even in the newer casinos with top-notch air extractors. There is literally no where on the east coast where you would ever be inside and surrounded by smokers... and I'm glad of it.

My little sister, the only one of my 3 siblings who became a smoker, is quitting right now for the umpteenth time, she's made it 32 days and counting. So far, her "reward" for quitting was walking pneumonia.

I hope she makes it stick this time because she's my favorite and I want her to live a long, healthy life.
So, would you vote for a ban on smoking in cars carrying children and homes where children live? What about other harmful things that parents expose their children to? What if I feed my kid fast food at every meal and allow him or her to play video games all the time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2015, 02:15 PM
 
809 posts, read 678,415 times
Reputation: 1333
Sometimes the public cares more about the children than the parents do. There are some things we can do about a parent who is either ignorant of a child's needs or working out his/her agenda about life through imposing/inflicting things on a child, e.g., vaccination scams, Hitler worship or hyper-helicoptering, but we can't micro-manage much.

A lot of kids just have to take the hit. We might control what we can teach them, but we have little control over what they learn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2015, 06:40 PM
 
Location: Earth
17,446 posts, read 23,961,050 times
Reputation: 7277
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4home View Post
It's an overreach by government to eliminate or control what is perceived as negative, antisocial behavior. The problem is, those ideas are often driven by advocacy or activist groups, and the media, which loves hot-button issues. While the danger from smoking tobacco/nicotine has a genuine health/scientific component, there is also spurious data out there regarding secondhand smoke that has been distorted and used by those who want to eliminate or control certain behavior. It's ironic to me that the people who are so eager and feverish to constantly "ban" things and control behavior, are often the first to loudly object if there is any encroachment on what they think is acceptable.
It's all about revenue raising - making behaviors illegal so people will break the laws and pay the fines, therefore enriching local governments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2015, 10:13 PM
 
Location: Vermont
167 posts, read 192,778 times
Reputation: 122
I am torn between the fact that it is wrong to smoke in a car with kids and the fact that making more invading laws is just not the answer.
Is there any commercials/ads in VT about the fact that kids could get sick from second-hand smoke? If not, they should start with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2015, 05:19 AM
 
Location: Milwaukee
4,270 posts, read 2,094,484 times
Reputation: 2675
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
It's all about revenue raising - making behaviors illegal so people will break the laws and pay the fines, therefore enriching local governments.
I disagree. Do you have any data about revenue generated through these fines? I never see people smoking where they're not supposed to anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2015, 05:21 AM
 
Location: Milwaukee
4,270 posts, read 2,094,484 times
Reputation: 2675
Quote:
Originally Posted by darky View Post
I am torn between the fact that it is wrong to smoke in a car with kids and the fact that making more invading laws is just not the answer.
Is there any commercials/ads in VT about the fact that kids could get sick from second-hand smoke? If not, they should start with that.
It's also wrong to feed your kid nothing but fast food and let them sit and play video games all day and night. Among many other things parents do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top