Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 06:00 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,685,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoonalt View Post
We just got back from vacation. ON the way home we hit a traffic circle with 2 feed in lanes. What kind of holy hell is this? Not only do you need to watch the traffic in the circle, but the guy next to you who may or may not go where he's supposed to. All it takes is one person doing the wrong thing and the whole pattern gets disrupted. I'm not a fan.
It might be one of the circles of Hell Dante wrote of in his Inferno.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 10:33 AM

132 posts, read 195,750 times
Still better than the traffic light-the worst invention in the history of the world!

Old 07-24-2014, 11:50 AM

221 posts, read 345,800 times
I think the worst invention is the stop sign(what's wrong with yield signs? Sometimes it's ridiculous to have to STOP). But, traffic lights are second.

Old 07-24-2014, 12:52 PM

18,351 posts, read 26,471,261 times
You don't need to go around in that long circle, just go straight across to whatever road you need.

Old 07-28-2014, 08:30 AM

86 posts, read 206,489 times
Is it called a traffic circle, a roundabout or a rotary?

Old 07-28-2014, 08:44 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,737,614 times
Early in the morning I have been know to use a traffic circle as a skid pad to check out just how much traction was available. Too bad we don't have circles that move clockwise.

I actually prefer 4 way stops more than crowded traffic circles. The stops are slower and less confusing for the other drivers.

FWIW if you think TC's are exciting in a car try them on a motorcycle.

Old 07-28-2014, 10:05 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,685,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Early in the morning I have been know to use a traffic circle as a skid pad to check out just how much traction was available. Too bad we don't have circles that move clockwise.

I actually prefer 4 way stops more than crowded traffic circles. The stops are slower and less confusing for the other drivers.

FWIW if you think TC's are exciting in a car try them on a motorcycle.
The 4-Way stop is my personal hell. I always wind up at one where 3 others have arrived around the same time. They look at each other and no one proceeds to move. Frustrated by the inertia, I pull forward, and with that at least 2 of the other drivers do the same. Everyone then stops. I continue forward as I haven't time for their hokey-pokey.

Old 07-29-2014, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
The 4-Way stop is my personal hell. I always wind up at one where 3 others have arrived around the same time. They look at each other and no one proceeds to move. Frustrated by the inertia, I pull forward, and with that at least 2 of the other drivers do the same. Everyone then stops. I continue forward as I haven't time for their hokey-pokey.
LOL...I was just going to say, that's one reason I think they are stupid, but the other reason is they put totally unnecessary wear on your breaks, by having to completely stop 5 times in less than 1 mile at times for no reason at all cause there is no one else in the intersection, whereas in a roundabout you would just keep going. And it wastes time, too. And when you're in a hurry the last thing you want to do is keep stopping.

Old 07-29-2014, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red4tribe View Post
Is it called a traffic circle, a roundabout or a rotary?
A traffic circle is a rotary. A roundabout is different.

Traffic circles are circular or elliptical islands, with a central island 300 to 600 feet wide. They are designed for vehicles to enter, merge, circulate, change lanes and exit at relatively high speeds - 30 to 50 mph.

Traffic circles are very large and are designed for high-speed vehicle operation. Roundabouts are designed as small as possible, 16 to 180 feet wide, and operate at 15 mph to 25 mph.

The design of roundabouts forces drivers to slow as they approach them, then limits drivers' circulating and exit speed. It is difficult to pass through a well-designed roundabout above these design speeds.

More here:

A traffic circle and a roundabout are not the same | HeraldTribune.com

Old 07-29-2014, 02:59 PM

56 posts, read 79,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Targo View Post
Clearly the handful of traffic circles we have here in VT overwhelm many drivers ability to cope with their clearly confusing and confounding nature. Here a few tips to help those people survive their encounters with the dreaded round-about.

1. Traffic circles are designed with the idea of traffic FLOW in mind. The ENTIRE idea is to MERG with the traffic already in the circle. You DO NOT have to slam on your breaks and come to a stop before entering the circle. This is especially important when they're NO OTHER VEHICLES IN THE CIRCLE! I mean really, do you see a stop sign ANYWHERE?

Member CFSCD [Citizens For Semi Competent Driving]
At the same time, it doesn't mean you MUST keep moving. At least here in DC, there's usually so much traffic that you often do have to stop before you yield. Obviously merging is ideal, but you always have to be ready to stop. Many people have gotten into accidents thinking that that they're never supposed to stop at a traffic circle. Be prepared for anything.

If you're merging onto a highway, you definitely can't stop, because traffic is going so much faster than you. Traffic circles are usually low-speed, though, so you have to be prepared for anything.

We have plenty of roundabouts here in DC, and no one seems to get confused with them... Maybe we're just used to them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont