Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 04:36 PM

53 posts, read 123,108 times

Advertisements

I've been thinking about moving to the Manchester/Dorset area with my family, but everyone is telling me that I'm totally crazy. Is Vermont that bad? The first issue is of course the economy. Is it that poorly run? Is there a light at the end of the tunnel? Why can't they get out of this funk? The other issue is the Heroin problem. Is it really that bad? I can't believe how many people have pointed this problem out to me. It really sounds like it's a real epidemic. You would think that a small state like this could get a handle on it. Everyone is basically making it sound like my children have a very good chance of becoming a heroin addict if we move to Vermont. If anyone can shed some light on these issues, it would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for your responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 04:56 PM

809 posts, read 991,512 times
When a dog bites a man, it's not news. When life is good in Vermont, it's not news.

I don't know about the Manchester area, but the Springfield area has its problems, and life here is great, in my opinion. I'm retired and living on about $30,000 annual income in a town where the median income in 2008 was about $49,000 and the mean income was $11,000. Yup, great disparity, though it has improved a bit since then. I think the numbers are now around $38,000/$28,000.

Be that as it may, your relatives are unnecessarily fearful. Here's what you can look into: 1. Livable wage for Bennington County. That will let you know the minimum pay you should seek for your household's size. 2. Single payer health care system to be started January 1, 2017-- IF our legislature has the backbone! You and your family will always be able to get treatment, even if you lose your job. And if you happen to be an entrepreneur, it will make your business worries fewer. 3. Job prospects: If you have great qualifications, bide your time. Take a job that will help you get by until the right one opens up-- and it will come along. 4. Don't sit at home. Vermont is for those who want to keep it a great state, and they start early, from joining prenatal and parenting classes through Audubon and Historical Society memberships all the way to OSHER and LEAP senior learning groups. Whether it's demo derbies or snowshoeing the Long Trail, dive in!

There are those who will moan and groan about how difficult it is to get by in Vermont, but they really want to keep everybody else out because they don't want it spoiled.

Old 06-25-2014, 05:42 PM

Thanks so much for the thoughtful response. What about the drug issue? People seem to think it's a prevalent problem, and would without a doubt be a part of my children's lives. Any truth to that. I'm not talking about pot, but rather the asinine drugs like heroin and meth. These are the drugs I've been told are destroying the state.

Old 06-25-2014, 06:33 PM

18,332 posts, read 26,357,163 times
If the single payer system is put in place it will require a major increase in taxes. We're talking serious money in a state with a low population. Taxes are out of control already. Jobs that pay enough to life well off of are tough to get and may get tougher. We're depending on imported power from Canada and it's not cheap. Manchester is a touristy town that can be expensive. Dorset doesn't strike me as much more affordable in terms of real estate, given the economy.

I wouldn't worry much about the drugs, if you stay away from the wrong sort of people and areas.

Old 06-25-2014, 06:44 PM

5,836 posts, read 5,221,872 times
I moved to this beautiful state over 25 years ago and there isn't any place else I would rather live. I don't have to worry about a job because I am retired from the military so I have a pension. There are jobs, you just have to know where to look for them. And if you are skilled (i.e. in the health industry, teaching, etc.) there are always jobs. Does Vermont have its problems? Of course it does. Everyplace has its problems. Drugs? That is everywhere, too. At least Vermont is trying to address the problem. But, beside the drug problem, Vermont has a very low crime rate. Many Vermonters don't even lock their doors.

Not to discourage you but Manchester/Dorset area is considered a "gold town" which means taxes are higher than in other areas. Just a little FYI for ya. But, it is a nice area.

Cat

Old 06-25-2014, 06:46 PM

317 posts, read 743,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPlate View Post
Thanks so much for the thoughtful response. What about the drug issue? People seem to think it's a prevalent problem, and would without a doubt be a part of my children's lives. Any truth to that. I'm not talking about pot, but rather the asinine drugs like heroin and meth. These are the drugs I've been told are destroying the state.

In your own words

Quote:
This is an extremely negative opinion of the area and the school. Please understand that negative statements like this have to be questioned. Do you have any positive things to say about the area? Drugs? Are you serious? Drugs are everywhere! There's no escaping it no matter what school you send you're children to! In fact, the drug issues are worse in private schools! You're posting like the rest of us haven't been there and done that. We have!The onus is on the parents no matter where you live! What do you mean by that fact that the school system is overrated? Teachers are people just like you and me. If my teachers' interest is golf, that's none of my business. It's always a shock to students when they discover that teachers are human just like you and me. You obviously have a personal grudge here, and its not helpful to my family, or the other families that are reading this post and looking to move to this area. Comparing the atmosphere of OL to that of DC is just ridiculous, and undermines the validity of your entire post. If there's a mold issue, lets bring it up with the school to verify it. The school could be sued beyond belief if there is any truth to this. Any current residents aware of this issue? I understand that the facilities aren't the greatest, but health issues are a very serious charge!

Old 06-25-2014, 06:49 PM

326 posts, read 496,023 times
I don't think I've ever heard a bad thing about Vermont. Sounds very livable to me! I only passed through ten or so years back and it's quite pretty.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmioquartiere View Post
In your own words
Wow. I feel like I'm being stalked. Anyway, the impression I'm getting is that there's an extreme problem with Heroin/Meth in Vermont......more so than in a place like Old Lyme, CT.....which is the thread you quoted me from. Yes, drugs are everywhere, but it sounds like it may be more of a problem in Vermont......especially with the harder drugs. It's something I've heard from quite a few people....which is why I'm concerned, and asking for info.

Old 06-26-2014, 11:09 AM

5,836 posts, read 5,221,872 times
Quote:
Wow. I feel like I'm being stalked. Anyway, the impression I'm getting is that there's an extreme problem with Heroin/Meth in Vermont......more so than in a place like Old Lyme, CT.....which is the thread you quoted me from. Yes, drugs are everywhere, but it sounds like it may be more of a problem in Vermont......especially with the harder drugs. It's something I've heard from quite a few people....which is why I'm concerned, and asking for info.

I don't think there is more of a problem of it in Vermont. I think it appears that way because Vermont is not sweeping it under the rug and trying to address the problem. And a lot of the drugs that are in Vermont actually come from Connecticut-Hartford to be specific.

Cat

Old 06-26-2014, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
I don't think there is more of a problem of it in Vermont. I think it appears that way because Vermont is not sweeping it under the rug and trying to address the problem. And a lot of the drugs that are in Vermont actually come from Connecticut-Hartford to be specific.

Cat
Thanks for chiming in. Do you live in Vermont? Is this based on first hand experience? Not trying to challenge you in any way........I just find it helpful if posters include this kind of info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont