Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 07:17 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,384,667 times

Advertisements

My dh and I are looking into purchasing new cell phones and a new carrier/plan for ourselves and our tween dd.

Now, we have a $29.99 ATT monthly plan we carried with us when we moved here eight years ago. ATT let us keep the plan (unlimited minutes but a fee for each text msg sent) as long as we kept our N.J. phone numbers.

I'm completely overwhelmed by the choices after stopping at the kiosks at the University Mall. We need a plan with unlimited texting (for our tween) and a cell phone carrier that will provide service throughout the state since dh and I both are on the road a lot for work.

Can anyone recommend a carrier/plan that you are pleased with? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 02:01 PM

1,822 posts, read 5,132,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMc46 View Post
Can anyone recommend a carrier/plan that you are pleased with? Thanks!
(No one is paying me to say this, LOL!) I am very happy with CREDO Mobile. They have inexpensive plans for all needs. I don't know if you're going to get the price you have now but it sounds like you may know that.

With CREDO, I get service all over Vermont and every other state I've traveled to. Sure, there are dead areas, but I don't know a company that can offer you no dead areas in a rural state. Several times people have walked up to me and said, "I can't believe you're talking on a cell phone here. No one gets cell service here." (I think this may also depend on the device you purchase.)

CREDO's customer service and tech support are the best I've experienced with any company and are very friendly.

Without further ado:

Cell Phones & Plans, Mobile Phones, Social Change : CREDO Mobile

Old 07-29-2010, 03:19 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,384,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherylcatmom View Post
(No one is paying me to say this, LOL!) I am very happy with CREDO Mobile. They have inexpensive plans for all needs. I don't know if you're going to get the price you have now but it sounds like you may know that.

With CREDO, I get service all over Vermont and every other state I've traveled to. Sure, there are dead areas, but I don't know a company that can offer you no dead areas in a rural state. Several times people have walked up to me and said, "I can't believe you're talking on a cell phone here. No one gets cell service here." (I think this may also depend on the device you purchase.)

CREDO's customer service and tech support are the best I've experienced with any company and are very friendly.

Without further ado:
Cell Phones & Plans, Mobile Phones, Social Change : CREDO Mobile
Thanks Sherylcat! I know we won't find another $29.99 deal, but an inexpensive plan with limited dead areas would be great.

Old 07-29-2010, 04:20 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,267,750 times
We have AT&T...2 lines for about 70 bucks. I'm not sure what our text plan is as I didn't really care about that feature.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:39 PM

986 posts, read 2,334,053 times
After my last trip up there, I will say that AT&T surprised me and had increased their coverage since my last trip up there about 10 months ago.

The only places I had problems were in some very rural areas and in the mountains. I had 3G coverage in most of the areas we stayed (Hyde Park, Middlebury, and WRJ).

FWIW, I will say that in NH just over the border in Franconia, we had absolutely no service this winter. The innkeeper said that Verizon had the best service there.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:12 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,661,915 times
Verizon and AT&T are the two big boys in the state. The phone you use will also make a difference. I had an average quality phone about two years ago and had the spotty service issues. As soon as we upgraded our phones (ENV3) we never have had a dropped call or loss of reception. One area of Northfield still has spotty reception, but we can still make a call. The plans will be more expensive than what you are paying. If you belong to a corporation or large business you may get a discount as well. We get a big discount with our jobs. Texting with Verizon is $10 unlimited/any service. AT&T mat be in the same price range.

Old 12-23-2010, 05:37 AM

76 posts, read 202,314 times
Old thread, but it was very helpful to me recently. I just bit the bullet and got an Iphone (3gs), and the reception in my area is fantastic (Charlotte, Shelburne, South Burlington, Burlington, Williston), and no dropped calls.

Old 12-23-2010, 10:35 AM

1,458 posts, read 1,398,390 times
I have the 3G2 too Lori. I gave up on Verizon as the coverage in Northern Burlington through the Malletts Bay area, and on the lake, was horrible. AT&T has steadily upgraded their coverage, while Verizon has done nothing. If nothing else, I was happy to get rid of the awful Verizon voice mail system. The iPhone VM is great, selective, and it works.

Old 12-26-2010, 10:26 AM

31 posts, read 210,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VermontLori View Post
Old thread, but it was very helpful to me recently. I just bit the bullet and got an Iphone (3gs), and the reception in my area is fantastic (Charlotte, Shelburne, South Burlington, Burlington, Williston), and no dropped calls.
Thank you... My family and I are moving back to VT in the next 12-18 months, and quite frankly I was worried whether ATT/iPhone compares to where we are now.

Thanks again!

Old 12-27-2010, 10:04 AM

76 posts, read 202,314 times
You're welcome! I switched from Verizon last month and it is like night and day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont