Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2014, 12:40 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,234,676 times

Advertisements

One of my kids will be going there this Fall. It seems to suit him. Is it really as "all work and no play" as some reviews suggest? I know that it's not a sports and fraternity oriented college. That's what he wants. But do the students there ever have a good time and kick back?

While we are there - it's a good eight hour drive - we are staying a few days. After getting him settled in his dorm, are there any local attractions for my wife and I to enjoy?

We want to take him out to a restaurant before we leave. He's a vegan. We are not. Are there any vegan friendly restaurants?

We like antiques, book stores and historic spots, if that is of any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 01:01 PM

150 posts, read 217,615 times
For many years, I coached a small college soccer team and one of our opponents was Marlboro, so I'm familiar with the school on that basis. It is in a very, very small town, so based on your questions, I'd suggest you stay in Brattleboro, which is about 20 minutes away. You'll certainly find a vegan restaurant there, as well as book and antique stores.

I was never under the impression that it was an "all work and no play" sort of school. I thought the students were a bit eccentric, although very likeable. The campus, as you will see, is in a very remote location, so perhaps there's just not much to do on campus other than focus on studies (which isn't such a bad thing, is it)?

Wilmington is also close (west of Marlboro, Bratt is to the east), but is smaller the Bratt so a bit more limited. Good luck.

Old 08-08-2014, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovertennis View Post
For many years, I coached a small college soccer team and one of our opponents was Marlboro, so I'm familiar with the school on that basis. It is in a very, very small town, so based on your questions, I'd suggest you stay in Brattleboro, which is about 20 minutes away. You'll certainly find a vegan restaurant there, as well as book and antique stores.

I was never under the impression that it was an "all work and no play" sort of school. I thought the students were a bit eccentric, although very likeable. The campus, as you will see, is in a very remote location, so perhaps there's just not much to do on campus other than focus on studies (which isn't such a bad thing, is it)?

Wilmington is also close (west of Marlboro, Bratt is to the east), but is smaller the Bratt so a bit more limited. Good luck.

It is definitely an eccentric school. That's fine because he's eccentric and individualistic.

According to "The Best 366 Colleges" and "The Insider's Guide to Colleges", it it academically intense and rigorous. There are not many clubs and activities and people tend to study a lot.

That's a good thing. However, I want him to have fun.

Do they get any bands (not marching bands) there? Any parties? There do not seem to be many clubs either.

Your information was very helpful.

We were staying at the Whetstone. Now it looks like we aren't. I'll check out Wilmington also.

Old 08-08-2014, 10:24 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,825,213 times
Marlboro is a tiny school but is great for learning in a very progressive educational philosophy. It's music program is world class.

Old 08-11-2014, 11:24 AM

150 posts, read 217,615 times
^^^^^^^^^
Yes, they have a very, very serious music program. The Marlboro soccer coach once called me the day of a game (there) to cancel because a noted pianist was on campus, and he demanded that there be no unnecessary noise anywhere. The soccer field was a long way from the music building, too.

To the OP, not sure about bands/parties. My impression of Marlboro students was that they were very serious and quiet. Also, the campus, as you'll soon find out, is in a very remote area. There's nothing nearby the campus except a lot of forest.

Old 08-11-2014, 11:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,290 times
I graduated from Marlboro about five years ago. I'm sure some stuff has changed, and some has stayed the same, but I can only speak of what it was like when I was there.

Of course students kick back and have a good time. It is very rigorous academically, but no one frowns on fun, either. People work hard because the Marlboro curriculum, which assigns very little busy work and encourages independent thought, inspires people to work hard. There aren't many clubs, and the sports that Marlboro has aren't very organized, but there are a number or school-organized events that allow people to get together and have fun. Parties happen, bands and performers and speakers come if people put the effort into bringing them. Mostly I'd say people make their own fun. The woods around the school are lovely and great for skiing and snow-shoeing and hiking. There are a lot of diverse interests among the student body that makes for some great conversations and experiences you wouldn't have anywhere else.

You can definitely get bored. The closest real town being 30 minuets away can be challenging. Cabin fever can set in. There will be opportunities that your son won't have at Marlboro that he would have at other schools, but will also have opportunities he wouldn't get anywhere else. Also, there are very few distractions when you don't want them.

As far as your questions about the area, the businesses have changed around a good bit since I was there, but ask around at the college and I'm sure someone can tell you all the good places to get vegan food. The co-op there is great and will have plenty that's vegan. There are a number of bookstores, if you just walk around town you will find those and a couple antique shops too.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-13-2014, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emk11 View Post
I graduated from Marlboro about five years ago. I'm sure some stuff has changed, and some has stayed the same, but I can only speak of what it was like when I was there.

Of course students kick back and have a good time. It is very rigorous academically, but no one frowns on fun, either. People work hard because the Marlboro curriculum, which assigns very little busy work and encourages independent thought, inspires people to work hard. There aren't many clubs, and the sports that Marlboro has aren't very organized, but there are a number or school-organized events that allow people to get together and have fun. Parties happen, bands and performers and speakers come if people put the effort into bringing them. Mostly I'd say people make their own fun. The woods around the school are lovely and great for skiing and snow-shoeing and hiking. There are a lot of diverse interests among the student body that makes for some great conversations and experiences you wouldn't have anywhere else.

You can definitely get bored. The closest real town being 30 minuets away can be challenging. Cabin fever can set in. There will be opportunities that your son won't have at Marlboro that he would have at other schools, but will also have opportunities he wouldn't get anywhere else. Also, there are very few distractions when you don't want them.

As far as your questions about the area, the businesses have changed around a good bit since I was there, but ask around at the college and I'm sure someone can tell you all the good places to get vegan food. The co-op there is great and will have plenty that's vegan. There are a number of bookstores, if you just walk around town you will find those and a couple antique shops too.

Hope this helps.

Yes it does help. He is very intense academically, and strongly individualistic. He's interested in studying Art, the environment and in perfecting his talents as a writer. He loves winter sports and hiking.

Perhaps I am projecting my own desires on to my son.

The cabin fever thing is a bit of a concern, but in general, it seems like a good fit.

Thanks for responding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
View detailed profiles of: