Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2007, 09:10 AM

2,186 posts, read 6,822,753 times

Advertisements

I like it when mother nature exerts herself. If your not prepared it can be a major hassle, if you are it can be awesome. Our local forecast for the next couple of days.

THE HIGHER SUMMITS FORECAST FOR VERMONT AND NORTHERN NEW YORK...

.SUNDAY...SUMMITS OBSCURED IN CLOUDS. RAIN SHOWERS LIKELY WITH A
SLIGHT CHANCE OF LIGHT FREEZING RAIN IN THE MORNING...THEN RAIN IN
THE AFTERNOON. HIGHS IN THE LOWER 40S. SOUTH WINDS 45 TO 60 MPH...
INCREASING TO 65 TO 80 MPH IN THE AFTERNOON.
.MONDAY...SUMMITS IN AND OUT OF CLOUDS. A CHANCE OF SNOW SHOWERS.
HIGHS IN THE MID TEENS. SOUTHWEST WINDS 35 TO 45 MPH.

At Sugarbush and other places we have a constant problem with getting enough electricity from the grid in the winter. It's a problem the major resorts don't talk about much publicly. On cold nights many times we have to completely shut down our snow making in the middle of the night because of it.

I have been advocating putting a smartly placed wind turbine or two on Mt Ellen, very windy summit but everyone knows alot of folks would scream loudly and fight it, the permitting process would be risky, long, hard and expensive so there is little motivation to pursue it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2007, 03:02 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,264,752 times
The wind has really started to kick up at my place this evening.....Very eerie sounding, but I love it!

Old 12-23-2007, 03:21 PM

1,822 posts, read 5,131,512 times
I'm such a wimp. I'm kind of scared during high winds and/or lightning and thunder. When that weird Nor'Easter blew through last April and flattened much of Rutland, I sat listening to books on my iPod far from the windows. However, the cats slept right through it!

Old 12-23-2007, 07:28 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,822,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherylcatmom View Post
flattened much of Rutland,
Methinks your confusing Rutland with some towns in tornado alley in Kansas. Sure, a few trees came down, some power outages.

Old 12-23-2007, 07:44 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,009,439 times
Sorry, but that forecast seems to be a typical one for winter. And, surely, one that the hearty northeasterners among us can handle without blinking?

Old 12-23-2007, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRVphotog View Post
Methinks your confusing Rutland with some towns in tornado alley in Kansas. Sure, a few trees came down, some power outages.

Did you see it? My husband and I went out for a drive after the storm. We had to park the car and walk because so many streets were blocked by huge fallen trees. Roofs were torn off. Our neighbor across the street, well, don't take my word for it; here's my cat Bailey checking out their car:

Old 12-23-2007, 07:59 PM

Default More about the storm of 2007 in Rutland

http://www.rutlandherald.com/apps/pb...tegory=STORM07

Check out the photo gallery & videos.

I grew up in Miami and was lucky to miss all the big hurricanes. I'd been gone for a few years when Andrew hit. What I saw in Rutland in April was worse than any tropical storm damage I saw in S. Florida. I think the reason that Rutland didn't crumble the way parts of SFla did after Andrew, et al, is because houses in Vermont are older and sturdier. A few trailers here did get flattened.

But you're quite right, Mishigas (LOL!), today's forecast was nothing unusual. I was thinking of last April when I got all wimpy-like. :-)

Old 12-24-2007, 08:08 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,264,752 times
My parents are just south of Rutland and were without power for 5 days after that storm. What a werid one!

Old 12-24-2007, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
My parents are just south of Rutland and were without power for 5 days after that storm. What a werid one!
Yeah! We're right in the city and lost our power for "only" 48 hours. Two weeks after the storm, I was meeting up with fellow co-op shoppers who still had no power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont