U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 08:54 PM

25 posts, read 31,417 times

Advertisements

Vermont being a poor, rural state is not "perspective". If you think it is, youre incredulous
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 01:01 PM

1,644 posts, read 2,108,500 times
Threads like this will always bring out the people who both love, and hate, the state in question. In every forum this dichotomy will exist. No place is perfect for every one, in every way.

Also bear in mind that the internet always magnified the negatives. People come online to complain far more then they come on line to say "all good here" (just google reviews on any automobile if you don't see it yet.)

I wouldn't move to a state based on someone's rose colored glasses view. Nor would I take a state off my wish list because of a few, outspoken, haters. The truth, as with any issue, lies somewhere in between, and most places "are" what you make of it.

Old 08-26-2014, 01:53 PM

25 posts, read 31,417 times
AGAIN sporin, how is saying Vt gets cold being "negative", or a "hater"???? So this past winter was WARM,?? WARMER than other places?? Saying siberia or Minnesota get cold isnt opinion or being negative. Its FACT!!!!!

Old 08-26-2014, 02:46 PM

1,644 posts, read 2,108,500 times
My post couldn't have been more even or middle of the road (there is good and bad and you'll get opinions both ways) so I'm not sure why you feel so defensive. I was speaking in generalities, not to you directly.

Old 08-26-2014, 03:03 PM

43,012 posts, read 92,254,680 times
If you move to Vermont, keep enough money in your bank to relocate to Colorado.

Old 08-26-2014, 03:59 PM

413 posts, read 1,427,627 times
Like the old saying goes: "If you want to leave Vermont with a million, come with 2 million".

Old 08-27-2014, 05:03 AM

3,079 posts, read 3,719,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
If you move to Vermont, keep enough money in your bank to relocate to Colorado.

^^^^^^

This.

I have no idea where OP gets the idea that Vermont as a "good economy."

The economy is based on taxing anyone and anything possible to support a bloated state employee system. (The state of Vermont itself is the single largest employer). It is also based on welfare. yard sales and drug deals.

If you want a job, bring your own and expect the state to thank you for it by taxing you and applying fees in any reasonable and unreasonable way the legislators see fit.

And yes, people who want to do something other then sit around and do drugs on other people's money tend to leave for other states like Colorado or Utah.

Old 08-27-2014, 02:18 PM

305 posts, read 321,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoVT View Post
Like the old saying goes: "If you want to leave Vermont with a million, come with 2 million".
What if I want to leave with 6 million?

Old 08-28-2014, 08:49 AM

77 posts, read 90,378 times
Djuna- Where in VT did you live?

I've recently applied for a job in Burlington but I've never been before, so I am trying to find out as much about it as I can. So far property values and harsh winters are two things that have me worried. Guess I'll continue to investigate.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:10 AM

1 posts, read 1,225 times
There is a sliver of truth in most of the posts here. I've lived in VT for 10 years now after a three year stint in the West.

The weather here is not the greatest, but the quality of life is hard to beat. You really have to enjoy winter recreation or it can be incredibly long. That said, there is a real community feeling here that we are all in this together which is hard to find these days.

Living in Europe I imagine you would appreciate Vermont's driving distance to Boston, Montreal and New York. Also, there is a wide variety depending on where you live in Vermont (as well as CO or WY).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or