U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 12:25 PM

11 posts, read 18,437 times

Advertisements

Hello forum people,

I live in Amsterdam, Holland and am looking to move to the United States in the coming years. The first places that come to mind are Vermont and Colorado. I am not looking for such depressing heat that you can find in PHX that will dull you down to a point where you can't function anymore. I do however, like it when the summers get to ~25-30 degrees celsius.

When I think of Vermont I think of endless views of beautiful trees, a good economy and friendly people all packed in a blue state. Which to me sounds like a place I'd like to spend my time.

So on to my question: Is Vermont a nice place to live (or start) ? Or am i better off looking at states like Colorado or Wyoming ?

Thank you for your time and kind regards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2014, 01:01 PM

9,412 posts, read 11,738,368 times
No. The weather is grey and depressing for a good majority of the year, the cost of living is very high compared to many other States, the people are unfriendly in general and jobs are low paid. I just wasted 6 years living there. I have lived in 3 different countries, this was the worst place I have ever lived.

Old 08-24-2014, 03:07 PM

305 posts, read 321,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
No. The weather is grey and depressing for a good majority of the year, the cost of living is very high compared to many other States, the people are unfriendly in general and jobs are low paid. I just wasted 6 years living there. I have lived in 3 different countries, this was the worst place I have ever lived.
Well damn.

Old 08-24-2014, 03:26 PM

208 posts, read 190,449 times
CO would be better choice in terms of taxes. VT is one of the worst states for taxes.

Old 08-24-2014, 03:58 PM

385 posts, read 517,767 times
I lived there for 20+ years. it is cold and grey most of the time with a few sparling sunshiny days where everyone goes out. Expensive to boot. Glad I left.

Old 08-24-2014, 04:03 PM

43,012 posts, read 92,359,957 times
I lived in Holland. I assure you that you'd definitely like Colorado better.

Old 08-24-2014, 04:29 PM

815 posts, read 1,110,648 times
You'll be fine in Vermont as long as you don't post any signs about bacon:

Vermont diner takes down bacon sign after it offends Muslim residents - NY Daily News

Political correctness run amok.

Old 08-24-2014, 05:07 PM

809 posts, read 678,888 times
HelloThere2,

Clearly, some responders are trying to save a great state for themselves by discouraging you. You sound like you might be of liberal tendencies yourself, and you'd fit in quite well with the majority here. Vermont taxes are quite low-- I asked the Governor's Commission on Taxes to raise mine in 2009 in order to keep Vermont's quality of life just about the best in everything-- health, welfare, education, environment. People complain that Vermont is poor, but actually our per capita GDP, while second from the bottom nationally, is just ahead of Belgium's and way ahead of Colombia's (barely one-third Vermont's). Both of those countries have health care systems superior to America's, and right now in Vermont we are trying desperately to overcome prejudice against the idea of excluding the for-profit motive from paying for health care.
The state income tax rate is an almost laughable 3% for under $160,000 and a more respectable 9% for over that. Property taxes tend to be high, but that's a reflection of people willing to pay anything to get the home of their dreams in the state of their dreams. Mine escalated when a mini-McMansion was built next door, and they'll be going through the roof if the owners get the $890,000 they are now asking for it. And I'm positive they will.

You will probably find biking here a lot different from Belgium, even if you have the Ardennes. You'll enjoy the outdoors opportunities-- Vermont gives owners of large tracts of land tax incentives to keep it in wilderness, so you can expect great hiking, camping, fishing, boating, etc., opportunities-- and while I find downhill skiing to be prohibitively expensive you can pick up a pair of cross-country skis at a ski swap (mine cost $15) and ski for almost nothing; if you get a pair of snowshoes, you can liberate yourself from the need for fairly flat ground. Snowshoes will take you to places where you don't have to see other people. That, I think, is the difference between the convivial people who live on the west side of the state and us introverts who choose to live on the east side. Take your pick.

Colorado is only liberal in the areas where retirees have moved in in great numbers, such as the Denver area. Vermont's liberals are a younger set, with children still in school or college. Vermont is also much wetter than Colorado; as a result of global warming we now receive a foot more of rain per year-- around 55 inches-- than previously. It does keep us green!

Late winter is the test! I've always said that if you can like Vermont in February, you'll love it the rest of the year. However, winter usually hangs on until the end of April. You can cope better with it by remembering how greatly the days lengthen. February, dreary and godforsaken as it is, has daylight exploding-- an hour and a half gain in four weeks, and it keeps getting better. Summers occasionally get a few days of 90 degrees Fahrenheit; it hasn't happened yet this year. People complain about high heating costs, but as I have always done my own firewood, I can't judge. I would recommend you study options for getting by on the cheap if you move here.

Best of luck to you, and just remember to read between the lines of the naysayers!

Old 08-25-2014, 08:38 AM

11 posts, read 18,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgregor View Post
HelloThere2,

Clearly, some responders are trying to save a great state for themselves by discouraging you. You sound like you might be of liberal tendencies yourself, and you'd fit in quite well with the majority here. Vermont taxes are quite low-- I asked the Governor's Commission on Taxes to raise mine in 2009 in order to keep Vermont's quality of life just about the best in everything-- health, welfare, education, environment. People complain that Vermont is poor, but actually our per capita GDP, while second from the bottom nationally, is just ahead of Belgium's and way ahead of Colombia's (barely one-third Vermont's). Both of those countries have health care systems superior to America's, and right now in Vermont we are trying desperately to overcome prejudice against the idea of excluding the for-profit motive from paying for health care.
The state income tax rate is an almost laughable 3% for under $160,000 and a more respectable 9% for over that. Property taxes tend to be high, but that's a reflection of people willing to pay anything to get the home of their dreams in the state of their dreams. Mine escalated when a mini-McMansion was built next door, and they'll be going through the roof if the owners get the $890,000 they are now asking for it. And I'm positive they will.

You will probably find biking here a lot different from Belgium, even if you have the Ardennes. You'll enjoy the outdoors opportunities-- Vermont gives owners of large tracts of land tax incentives to keep it in wilderness, so you can expect great hiking, camping, fishing, boating, etc., opportunities-- and while I find downhill skiing to be prohibitively expensive you can pick up a pair of cross-country skis at a ski swap (mine cost $15) and ski for almost nothing; if you get a pair of snowshoes, you can liberate yourself from the need for fairly flat ground. Snowshoes will take you to places where you don't have to see other people. That, I think, is the difference between the convivial people who live on the west side of the state and us introverts who choose to live on the east side. Take your pick.

Colorado is only liberal in the areas where retirees have moved in in great numbers, such as the Denver area. Vermont's liberals are a younger set, with children still in school or college. Vermont is also much wetter than Colorado; as a result of global warming we now receive a foot more of rain per year-- around 55 inches-- than previously. It does keep us green!

Late winter is the test! I've always said that if you can like Vermont in February, you'll love it the rest of the year. However, winter usually hangs on until the end of April. You can cope better with it by remembering how greatly the days lengthen. February, dreary and godforsaken as it is, has daylight exploding-- an hour and a half gain in four weeks, and it keeps getting better. Summers occasionally get a few days of 90 degrees Fahrenheit; it hasn't happened yet this year. People complain about high heating costs, but as I have always done my own firewood, I can't judge. I would recommend you study options for getting by on the cheap if you move here.

Best of luck to you, and just remember to read between the lines of the naysayers!
Couldn't hope for a more explaining response, thanks for that !

I especially like the outdoor opportunity, it sounds really nice.

Thank you for your time . I'll definitely enter Vermont on my to do list.

Old 08-25-2014, 09:23 AM

25 posts, read 31,499 times
I like how whenever someone might mention the negatives of Vermont, (which EVERY state has its pros and cons) the cheerleaders will come out and say VT has NO NEGATIVES...Oh really? Its doesnt get cold here? This past winter, there was a week or two STRAIGHT where the low was TWENTY FIVE BELOW ZERO!!! Thats not cold????? There is proven, empirical data to show how weak this economy is, about the soaring drug problem, and the poverty that plague the state. Thats all just people being negative right? I think so many in Vt are in denial about the states problems. Everywhere has their own issues, but noone likes to cover it up quite like Vermonters
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or