U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 04:07 AM

5 posts, read 27,292 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post on this site. I have been reading a lot of posts here and enjoy ever one of them. This is a wonderful website to share ideas and experiences in life etc..My question to you all:

Do many people retire in Vermont?

I will be eligibile to retire in 3 years. I am currently employed by the Federal government and live in the Washington D.C. area. I have been thinking about what I might do when I do retire. It really boils down to where in New England I would want to retire. I have visited Vermont many times and every time I do something special comes over me like no where else I have been. I realize visiting and living in an area are 2 completely different things. But I always feel "at home" in Vermont.

I need a place to feel comfortable. I am gay and living in the south just does not work for me. Do you Vermonters welcome a retired gay man? BTW, I am masculine and no one ever knows until they figure it out later. And I do not wear it on my sleeve. But I am who I am and need a place that accepts me for who I am.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2007, 08:26 AM

224 posts, read 626,710 times
People do retire in Vermont, but some have mobility issues later in life due to the extreme cold & ice. As other forum topics have mentioned, some people leave Vermont as the cold can make certain ailments worse, the added responsibilities of shoveling snow is unwelcome, and there are financial stressors such as high taxes and heating costs.

People in Burlington are very accepting, though the gay bar closed last year. A lot of my gay friends use manhunt dot com to meet people, and Montreal is fairly nearby if you miss city life & want to visit. I also am from near DC originally & my best advice would be to visit during the coldest, most sunless part of the winter before you move here. I didn't realize how very little sunlight and warmth Vermont gets compared to DC - and Burlington is usually warmer than other parts of VT. Burlington's February can get to -20'F (-30' with windchill) and be gray-skied for weeks. Comparatively, the DC area is downright tropical. I couldn't even comprehend -30' until I was in it.

Old 12-24-2007, 08:38 AM

1,822 posts, read 4,532,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noleman View Post
I need a place to feel comfortable. I am gay and living in the south just does not work for me. Do you Vermonters welcome a retired gay man? BTW, I am masculine and no one ever knows until they figure it out later. And I do not wear it on my sleeve. But I am who I am and need a place that accepts me for who I am.
I think of Vermont as a place where gay people (and anyone) is welcome. I hope this is true. But as a hetero, I have no direct experience of how I would be treated here if I were gay. You might want to get in touch with the internet-based Out In the Mountains (www.mountainpridemedia.org) and ask about LGBTQQ people's experiences here.

Old 12-24-2007, 02:45 PM

4,459 posts, read 6,392,312 times
May I suggest Eastern Connecticut- housing prices lower then in Vermont, a rural, peaceful atmosphere- very low crime. Access to the Hartford and Providence metro areas 40 minutes in either direction.- and easy and quick access to the the ocean---and a much milder climate.

Do consider eastern Connecticut.

Old 12-24-2007, 04:00 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,068,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
May I suggest Eastern Connecticut- housing prices lower then in Vermont, a rural, peaceful atmosphere- very low crime. Access to the Hartford and Providence metro areas 40 minutes in either direction.- and easy and quick access to the the ocean---and a much milder climate.

Do consider eastern Connecticut.
Great thought. I am from CT and it is a very nice area. Not all places are expensive like Fairfield County. I don't think you will find it difficult to fit in either. I have lived in several states as an adult, and I feel that gay people are more accepted now than in the past. You wouldn't have much of an issue in Vermont. Larger areas like Burlington have much more open views on gay people, but I'm sure you are aware there are narrow minded people everywhere you go. The rural parts of the state have a larger nonaccepting population. That's not to say most people think this way in the rural areas, but you will find more of the "Take Back Vermont" portion of the population there.

If you have a large retirement to live off then Vermont should be at the top of your list if you like it here that much. Having lived in Fairfield County and NYC I thought Vermont was going to be a much more affordable place to live, but when you add the heating costs for close to six months, the taxes, surcharges, ect. it wasn't that affordable in the end. I like it here and don't regret ever moving here, but in the end it comes down to wether you can afford it or not.

Old 12-25-2007, 02:35 AM

Thanks to all:

I have given everything suggested many thoughts and will conintue to evaluate. As far as the cold goes, yes I have considered how cold it gets but as you say, you don't know cold till you experince it firsthand. I have a friend in Albany and he has advised me as well about living up there in the winter for a month or so to see if it would really bother me. I guess the one thing I am a little surpised at is the cloudieness that Vermonters say is so common. I wold have thought that all that cold high pressure coming in from Canada would scour out the clouds. Oh well, I am not affected by that too much any way. I do once remember an elderly woman I met when I was traveling thru New Hamshire. She had said how she and her husband had retired in Florida, only to discover how much they hated the heat and much preferred below zero in the winter to super hot in the summer. I could relate since I grew up in Florida myself and detest that heat....

I am a little concerned about the financial stress that everyone talks about. The only plus is that I really doubt the housing costs compare to this area so I feel that that part will be cheaper. The medium price home in my county is over $600,000. I will have a good retirement from the government and have little expenses other wise. But am sure there are other unforseen expenses as well.

Connecticut has crossed my mind too as other states up in New England have. I picked tobacco in Connecticut in 1970 in Simsbury and 1971 in Windsor Locks ( they shipped Florida kids up there back then for some cheap labor, $1.25 hr, for summer work camp) I found that area simply beautiful as well and indeed did love it. But Vermont for some reason always seems to come to the front first..Can't really explain it but who knows that could change some day

Old 12-25-2007, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noleman View Post
Connecticut has crossed my mind too as other states up in New England have <snip> I found that area simply beautiful as well and indeed did love it. But Vermont for some reason always seems to come to the front first..Can't really explain it but who knows that could change some day

My husband and I feel the same way. I'm from SFla and moved to NH in 1988 and VT in 1996. I have no plans to move away from VT, ever. We considered it and traveled to places we thought we might really want to live, but nowhere "called us home" like Vermont.

As for cost, the housing is way less expensive than where you are but the property taxes are quite high. We could be looking at paying $500 monthly indefinitely just in property taxes. Heating is expensive, but not impossible. When we move, we plan on buying a house with forced hot air so we can install geothermal heating/cooling plus solar panels to power the system. That will be a large cost up front but will be easy month-to-month over our lives there. (And our plan is to make the next house the one we stay in for good, if life works out that way for us.)

Other than property taxes, we don't find the cost of living here to be an undue burden. I would rather pay more to live in Vermont than pay less to live somewhere else and find myself wishing I'd stayed in Vermont. We are not big spenders. Our biggest expense is that we like to go out to eat a lot. I've seen many parts of the world and I'm glad I did, but we don't actually enjoy traveling (except New England day trips), join country clubs, have cable TV (or any channels), and don't care about getting a new car until the old one is seriously dead (last one had nearly 200k miles on it, and if it hadn't drowned in the Keene, NH flood of 2005, I'd still be driving it! Actually, our repair guy still is driving it :-)).

Do I wish Vermont were less expensive? Sure! But not if it meant Vermont would become crowded. So maybe that's a secret benefit to living in a place that lots of others consider unaffordable.

That brings us to another point: I'm already here. It's almost always easier (emotionally, financially, etc.) to maintain the status quo than to make a huge change. Still, I did make that huge change to get here and I'm soooo glad I did. Vermont's not getting rid of me anytime soon. :-)

Old 12-26-2007, 03:52 AM

Sherylcatmom,

I just love your attitdue and your analysis of Vermont. You make perfect sense and give me an honest opinion which I do appreciate. I have read on these boards things like: Can't afford to live here, taxes are too high etc...I do know that taxes are higher in Vermont than a lot of other places but it can't be that bad or else only wealthy people would be living there. I also know from experiences that when someone says "they can't afford it" , I must only respect but not necessarily believe what they say. it is all realtive any ways. I work wioth people that complain about taxes too high here and yet their family income is $250,000 ! And that is not just one individual or couple but many. And they are not even living above their means....Any way, I will continue to keep my eyes and ears open and who knows maybe I can say the same thing you said

Old 12-26-2007, 06:36 AM

I am glad to have offered the kind of input you were seeking. I look forward to reading more about your "journey home."

Old 12-31-2007, 10:43 AM

3,166 posts, read 6,952,606 times
Brattleboro in southern VT is very gay-friendly. I have hiked in the White Mountains with a gay friend of mine and he always said Brattleboro was the most progressive gay town he was ever in!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or