Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 05:02 PM

149 posts, read 205,704 times

Advertisements

thinking about getting on a bus and trying to relocate there with little means, and little preparation.

Interested in these places: Montpelier, Middlebury, Burlington...I guess anywhere up north, and a bonus if there is a college with a nightlife. Anyway, I might give this a shot because I'm 25 and I've got nothing to lose.

I guess if anyone would be interested in giving me a place to crash feel free to let me know. Or if anyone has any information that would be useful, feel free to supply it, I would definitely appreciate it. I'm a musician-artist type I guess, and looking to leave the metropolitan forever!

(also if anyone is looking to start an impactful band like arcade fire let me know. I can play guitar and piano, and I can sing too...we can get shows in montreal I'm sure)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2014, 02:28 PM

15 posts, read 22,595 times
Where are you coming from? Burlington sounds good for what you need, much closer to montreal. I haven't lived in VT but I've gone there more summers in my life than not. People seemed friendly in the general new england way, which is, not as much as the midwest probably. Depends on where you're coming from. I have a friend who moved there temporarily years ago and said he was called 'flatlander' and the family wasn't really welcome much, so they moved back to CT, but I think that was more of a rural area problem. I think in the few cities or places like bennington or brattleboro that are closer to the MA border would be more open to people moving in.

Have you ever been to vermont before?

Old 10-02-2014, 03:40 AM

149 posts, read 205,704 times
thx for the info. No I've not been to Vt

Old 10-02-2014, 01:26 PM

3,481 posts, read 9,374,029 times
People are nice in Vermont but that doesn't necessarily mean they want an unemployed homeless guy they never met before crashing on their couch. Burlington is the best bet for you out of the places you listed.

Old 10-03-2014, 02:04 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,182,043 times
People are people are people....you get back what you put out no matter where you are.

Old 10-03-2014, 03:11 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,627,905 times
Im a musician/artist and moved to VT because of that, too, and it was a huge mistake. The perception people have of Vermont is very different than the reality of living there. Vermonters are not mean at all, but they are very stoic and don't go out of their way to be your buddy. Do your research carefully. There is not a cultural scene like you are looking for anywhere. That is not to say VT isnt cultured, but I feel as an artist/musician, I know what you are looking for, and you won't find it in VT. Oh yeah, and you better have a reliable car. Start your band in NY, then move to VT

Old 10-03-2014, 04:11 PM

61 posts, read 70,572 times
http://www.city-data.com/forum/searc...13633034&pp=30

op has many other places ...

Old 10-03-2014, 09:09 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,354,367 times
I'm a native Californian but I've spent a great deal of time in VT over the years. I'm a loner, am not social, a partier or someone who wants to be chummy with neighbors. I will always be respectful and friendly to most everyone, but I want essentially to be left alone.

I like Vermonters. I don't want back slappers or people who invite me over. I would imagine a really social partier would not be happy in Vermont. Southerners bug me, they are overly friendly and want you to go to church, baptisms, etc.

Old 10-05-2014, 08:37 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,535,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
People are nice in Vermont but that doesn't necessarily mean they want an unemployed homeless guy they never met before crashing on their couch. Burlington is the best bet for you out of the places you listed.
This. /\/\/\

I also think that if this is your chosen way of life (and I genuinely have no problem with that) then someplace warmer might make more sense.

Also, if you are a rolling musician, then you need an area that has a high saturation of bars and coffee shops and other places you might be able to play. This is not Vermont by any stretch.

I'm thinking maybe Austin TX, someplace in Portland OR, or southern California.

Old 10-05-2014, 03:02 PM

238 posts, read 324,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanstone1 View Post
People are people are people....you get back what you put out no matter where you are.

Someone always ends up making this comment, but I disagree. People may be people, but people also create vastly different cultures in different regions of the country. For many people, these vast cultural differences are too much to overcome. This becomes especially true if you are not really interested in changing yourself to meet the expectations of people who can't or won't accept you as you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont