U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2014, 09:53 AM

3 posts, read 3,329 times

Advertisements

Hi!

We are contemplating a move to Vermont from the Boston area, and we are very familiar with living in a snowy place. However, the road we may be living on is private, and made of gravel.

How much of a nightmare will that be to keep clear during the winter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2014, 10:28 AM

17,851 posts, read 54,134,324 times
Depends. If shaded or in a hollow or at the edge of a windswept field it could be a problem, other situations are easy. Best thing to do is ask locally and get a couple quotes for keeping it clear. Make sure the road is gravel and not dirt. When mud season arrives, you 'll know the difference. Oh yeah, expect gravel from the road to show up in the spring reposing in the daffodils and enjoying the sun.

Old 11-13-2014, 11:24 AM

3,329 posts, read 8,782,460 times
Ditto above. Since the road is private it won't be maintained by the town. How many other homes are on the road? I'd ask about maintenance-who plows it and how it gets paid for etc.

Old 11-13-2014, 11:49 AM

Default Thanks for the info

The house is about a half mile up from the main road. We're considering doing the plowing ourselves, but that may not be feasible during our first winter. What kinds of questions do we need to ask a contractor?

Old 11-13-2014, 01:22 PM

17,851 posts, read 54,134,324 times
Ask who he does already, what he has for a setup, where he plans to dump the snow (and bits of gravel) and how he charges. I'd tell him it was month to month at first to keep him honest and on his toes. You want to hear four wheel drive, larger truck, and either a backup truck or someone on-call when his is broke.

Old 11-18-2014, 03:25 AM

1,018 posts, read 1,419,194 times
I live on a 1/2 mile private road. Our contractor charges us $70 each plow. Our road is fairly decent as we have it graded every year. Plowing/sanding runs us about $1500 a year. Call a few plow guys and get quotes as they can be all over the place. We have 9 families on our road, so it's not a big expense.
Plowing yourself? If you already have a truck, a plow is $5000 to $7000. I originally used a Kubota tractor until we got our plow guy.It worked well, but you were exposed to the elements. There are a lot of options depending on your time, finances, an willingness to either pay or do it yourself. More info on that would help.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:32 AM

Default further winter road worries

Thanks for the information!

The road is really the biggest negative to us. There are only two houses sharing the road, so we'd be splitting with just one other family. The upkeep during the warmer months is a concern as well.

How do gravel roads stand up to plowing? What kind of repair work is required in the spring? How much does grading cost?

Any info will be very much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoonalt View Post
I live on a 1/2 mile private road. Our contractor charges us $70 each plow. Our road is fairly decent as we have it graded every year. Plowing/sanding runs us about $1500 a year. Call a few plow guys and get quotes as they can be all over the place. We have 9 families on our road, so it's not a big expense.
Plowing yourself? If you already have a truck, a plow is $5000 to $7000. I originally used a Kubota tractor until we got our plow guy.It worked well, but you were exposed to the elements. There are a lot of options depending on your time, finances, an willingness to either pay or do it yourself. More info on that would help.

Old 11-18-2014, 09:01 AM

1,018 posts, read 1,419,194 times
I'd talk to the owners of the other house first to see what's done now and how agreeable they are to splitting costs. We have a homeowners association and everyone is very good about paying, but that's not always the case.
Plowing or sanding for us is $70. We had quotes as high as $125 so it pays to ask around. Depends on how easy the road is to plow. The more maneuvering required, the higher the cost and that doesn't include our personal driveways. I do my own and a neighbors with a Kubota RTV. Others have tractors or use the plow guy. Driveways are like $25 a piece for him. I like doing my own.
Maintenance depends on the road. Ours is only 9 years old and was built well. We grade once a year because everyone wants a smooth road and to get rid of the few potholes we get. That costs us $800. Some years we add material to the road. We also mow the roadsides and cut the brush back that encroaches on the road. Depends on how good a road you want. Some people do very little.
I wouldn't be wary of a house on a private road. It's nice to not have traffic zipping by all the time. Depends on the type of person you are and the neighbor.I view it as a positive depending on the road.
If you decide to plow yourself, I can offer some help there too. I've done it with just about everything.

Cheers!

Old 11-18-2014, 12:35 PM

1,942 posts, read 3,235,693 times
Our house is also off of a private road. We share plowing with about five other houses, and they sometimes sand too. We've only been here for a little over a year, so they haven't done any road upgrades yes, but we'll see what happens. It wasn't so bad this mud season.

Our driveway is really long...almost a quarter mile...same guys who plow the private road plow the driveway for $40 a pop. We got a few other estimates and that was the best we heard. The sand is pricey though. We only sanded twice last winter thankfully.

We're not an association, just share in the road maintenance, and we're quite happy with how things have been going so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont