Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2014, 01:13 PM

323 posts, read 1,791,297 times

Advertisements

Hi there!

I am very excited to be accepting a travel nurse assignment in your Beautiful State.
I am going to be in the Montpelier area.
I will be coming with two small breed dogs and I just have a few housekeeping questions to help me prepare and pack.
* is there a Pet Store there in the area? is the area dog friendly?
* are there corporate type stores like malls, Big Lots etc
* what Grocery stores would be available for food purchase?
*Internet?
*movie theater?
Cable?

I am from Western New York so I am accustomed to snow, but are there particular clothing items i need to bring and if I forget something is it reasonable to believe that I will find it in Montpelier?

Other than that I am very excited and would appreciate any feedback.

P.S. I found a place to stay but is it true that I would not be able to rent a cabin with my dogs in tow?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 01:52 PM

2,062 posts, read 3,961,807 times
We use Guys Farm and Yard in Montpelier for our pet food - they sell a lot of the better brands of dog food, and some raw stuff as well. There may be another pet store in town as well, but Guys carries our food at a reasonable price so we just go there.

Old 12-03-2014, 01:57 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,267,750 times
Rentals that accept pets are hard to find. They do exist, but its not the norm.
As far as stores, yes there is a very small mall called the Berlin Mall that has a Walmart and a JCPenney. Berlin Mall :: 282 Berlin Mall Road, Berlin, VT. 05602 :: 802.229.4151
Along the Barre/Montpelier Road you'll find TJMaxx, Big Lots, Panera, Burger King, McDonalds etc. There are also lots of great mom & pop stores, especially in downtown Montpelier - my favorite is probably Bear Pond Books. Onion River Sports has all the outdoor gear you'll need. Be sure to check them out!
Conventional grocery stores are Shaws (downtown Montpelier and in Berlin near the Mall) and Price Chopper along the Barre/Montpelier Road. The Hunger Mountain Co-op is a fantastic natural/organic food market in Montpelier. Montpelier also has a great farmers market and there are plenty of farms around that offer CSAs and farm stands.
For movies Montpelier has the Capitol Theater. There is also a movie theater in nearby Barre.
I'll let someone else chime in for cable & internet.

Old 12-04-2014, 03:34 AM

Thank you everyone!
I am actually more of a Mom and Pop store, Food co-ops, Independent films, thrift stores and boutique type of Girl.

But the above is great!

Old 12-04-2014, 05:18 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,961,807 times
Montpelier will be a great fit...

Old 12-04-2014, 09:44 AM

168 posts, read 285,731 times
It's funny, as a rule I think of Vermont as very dog-friendly - people have their labs and such with them everywhere... and yet, it is hard to find places to rent that allow dogs. Such an odd dichotomy.

I think your best bet is to rent what you can, and then once you're here and get to know people, you may informally hear about other places to rent, that wouldn't be found on rental company lists or craigslist postings.

Old 12-07-2014, 03:15 AM

Hi,
It turns out I will be living closer to Barrie , Vermont. Which I know is still in the vicinity of Montpelier.
I was also researching off leashed, fenced in Dog parks and notice that many are in the Burlington Area.
Would this be the case?
Would anyone happen to know if they are " friendly" off leashed dog parks?

Also I am really into the Tiny House movement and was hoping that there would be an available workshop or two that i can potentially attend while i am there. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Tiny House Listings - Buy, sell and rent tiny homes

Last edited by energygrrl; 12-07-2014 at 04:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont