U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 12:47 AM

4 posts, read 12,988 times

Advertisements

I was living in Vermont for a year, and let's tell you that it was the most horrible experience of my life. On the contrary to what they claim, it is one of the worst place you can live in the US. It is a poor state, the weather in winter is awful, the roads and other infrastructure are so poor, and the people are often into themselves and ignorant. It is a rural state, not developed at all, and it seems the local people want it so, and afraid of change, technology, development and openness.
If you are a new immigrant (particularly a non-white), keep away from Vermont. It is definitely not a place for you. Diversity is almost zero there, and you wish to find someone to talk to!
If you like to be isolated, do not need people, afraid of a diverse society, afraid of development, do not care about modern life and only enjoy of being in a remote natural reserve, then choose Vermont to live, otherwise really keep distance.
I could not survive there, and could not wait to get out! When I had an opportunity, you could not believe how fast I left that crappy state, and I assure you I never get even close to that forgotten land.
Thanks God I could escape after a year, otherwise I was psycho by now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2014, 03:17 AM

346 posts, read 840,874 times
No surprise a sparsely populated, homogenous, and cold weathered place won't be everyone's cup of tea.

From a visitors perspective it was refreshing not seeing fast food chains on every corner for one. There were some particularly nice towns I remember (one called Manchester) and others that as you mention felt poorer (Wilmington).

In the northern part I see having Montreal somewhat close as a HUGE POSITIVE. If you took advantage of that you'd like VT a little better? Not sure I'd wanna live there but having such a world class city nearby makes Vermont much more appealing in that regard (from my perspective).

Last edited by Billy Millennium; 12-04-2014 at 03:27 AM..

Old 12-04-2014, 06:56 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,418,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN1031 View Post
Thanks God I could escape after a year, otherwise I was psycho by now!

I think you waited too long. I hope you're in a happy place!

Old 12-04-2014, 07:06 AM

129 posts, read 188,998 times
Did you not do your research before moving there? I agree it isn't for everyone, but it certainly is a unique place unlike any other place I've lived or visited. So it has that going for it, which is nice.

Old 12-04-2014, 08:51 AM

5,822 posts, read 13,308,406 times
Daughter moved to VT 18 years ago and absolutely loves their life. Their children are unspoiled, well-behaved and very caring and thoughtful. Since a young age they have helped in the community, volunteered time and are extremely well adjusted. They have no mall to hang out in rather spend their time with friends, playing, indoors and out. My daughter has made friends for life there. They help one another when someone has a need, whether keeping a pet, cutting a lawn, taking food to a neighbor. So VT may not be for everyone, but sometimes we need to look within ourselves before criticizing our surroundings.

Old 12-04-2014, 09:26 AM

61 posts, read 66,073 times
Bingo,

for instance two veterans returned to the bennington area and one spoke about how wonderful it was knowing his family was being fixed meals, his house was being cared for and all by neighbors free of charge in his absence.

the next vet stood up, a transplant like the OP and spoke with hatred that he and his family had received none of those things and he returned home with zero acknowledgment ....

same town, same community, vastly different experiences and I am here to tell you, they are vastly different men and families....and that was reflected in their treatment.

best thing you could have done was leave if it was not for you, no point making the rest of us unhappy too.....I left Vermont after 43 years there because I don't care for the changes that HAVE taken place or the type of people now common in Vermont, again, if it aint for you get up and vote with your feet! hope you are happy where you landed!

Old 12-04-2014, 09:30 AM

66 posts, read 58,626 times
We live in Connecticut and we visit Vermont constantly.....we've met some wonderfully nice people, and are in awe of the beauty and simplicity the Green Mountain State has to offer. It's a two hour drive for us, we often go up for the day, stay for dinner either there or in nearby Keene, New Hampshire, and come back home.

Old 12-04-2014, 09:35 AM

168 posts, read 187,366 times
Default Pluses and minuses - *everywhere*

We lived there for a year and moved away too - but we still love much about Vermont, still own land there, and still expect to move back again some day.

Yes there are problems, but there are problems everywhere. We were surprised at the high cost of living (especially taxes and utilities); I've lived in other primarily rural areas (e.g., West Virginia) and typically found one of the benefits of living in such places was a *lower* cost of living. We were also surprised at the level of bureaucracy (state and town) - having lived both before and after in California (and San Francisco at that), I can say that the two are surprisingly comparable when it comes to intrusive paternalistic governments! And finally, the whole "four in the ground" (or variants thereof) got old fast. If I've chosen to invest in moving to and living in a place, I should at least be given the benefit of the doubt as to my desire to participate in and be a member of Vermont.

But there are innumerable good things, too. It's strikingly beautiful - as much as anywhere I've lived (and as noted, that includes places such as the Alleghany front and the California coast!). And for the most part people are friendly and helpful, if a bit reserved (but as an introvert myself, I've always liked Yankee reserve). The anti-growth rants could get old (and it was amusing to hear people protest a 2-lane bypass in Burlington, over fears of urbanization, as I sit here in a city of 800,000 that's still strikingly beautiful and has amazing access to unspoiled environments literally minutes away) - but the benefit of 40+ years of such anti-growth efforts was a preservation of the beauty that makes Vermont special.

And Vermont has led the way on so many things that have been (or should be) duplicated across the country - from bottle deposits to billboard bans to same-sex marriage, and potentially now to single-payer healthcare (please oh please let that work out!). I still shake my head when driving through a beautiful area, such as the Sierras or the Shenandoah Valley, and all I can see is billboard after billboard - Vermont really dodged a bullet on that one!

No place is perfect. I've lived in Phoenix - you want a boring, bland, fugly place to live, try Phoenix. And I love San Francisco, but OMG the bureaucracy and nanny state, and the filth,... and the cost of living!, make it a very trying place to live sometimes. (In fact nothing makes me daydream about our future home in Sharon more than a day full of annoying urban experiences here in S.F.!)

So, sorry it didn't work out for you. But don't damn an entire state and its people based on your unfortunate experience.

Old 12-04-2014, 06:19 PM

221 posts, read 265,971 times
So here's the thing. My wife and I had about a year to do our research and pick whichever state of the 50 states we wanted to live in(besides Wisconsin which she did not want to go back to). Our research was based on probably a couple dozen factors, things we were looking for and things we weren't. It was done in a pretty scientific way where each state received a certain amount of points for each factor and then we summed it all up and saw which state was, to us, our "overall best state to live in". Vermont won.

We've been here for 17 months now and have not regretted it.

To each their own.

(BTW Maine came second, NH third, Minnesota 4th, then N. Dakota and Iowa...might help you understand what we were looking for).

Old 12-04-2014, 08:33 PM

4,925 posts, read 4,911,740 times
Vermont is the most boring place on earth but on the plus side of the nicest people in the world live in the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont