Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2014, 06:26 PM

31 posts, read 47,825 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about accepting a job offer up in Newport to move back to Vermont. I lived in Middlebury for 2 months in the summer of 2013 and have longed to go back ever since. If there is any information someone has about the Northeast Kingdom? Please tell me whatever you know. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2014, 02:01 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,629,314 times
Used to live in the St Johnsbury area about 2 decades ago. That is when Hovey's, St Johnsbury Trucking, Butsons, Fairbanks Scales, EHV, Ames, Rich's, Ben Franklin and a bunch of other businesses were up and running. I admit the NEK isn't these days what it once was. We have been to Newport on a number of occasions. There used to be a J.J. Newbury's department store downtown. Don't know what Newport has now for a department store but have heard that there is plans for a WalMart in nearby Derby. That is unless the anti-business Neo-Vermont environmentalist groups have their way. I guess they would rather people drive to Littleton NH and burn up all that gas, then have a name-brand department store close by. I admit, I'd rather see a Target store BUT, it is still something. There were plans for development of a hotel on the waterfront in Newport, plus a high-tech business and some other development several years ago but have not heard anything lately. Sorry for the tangent back there. Good luck.

Old 01-13-2015, 04:16 AM

I just don't want to make a huge mistake accepting a job up there and then getting "stuck in Vermont." lol. I love the north, but maybe someplace like Portland, Maine would be a better bet.

Old 01-13-2015, 12:18 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,629,314 times
Check out Maine and New Hampshire as well. We are currently living in central Maine.

Old 01-17-2015, 07:58 PM

542 posts, read 701,611 times
I live in Southern Vermont near Brattleboro, took a ride up to the North East Kingdom this year just to check it out. Newport was the destination we intended to spend the night at. I have to say I was really disappointed in Newport. Surprised as it is right on the lake. Pretty much looked like a sad shabby dead town. Nothing much going on. The only hotel was out by the highway we didn't even stay turned around and headed south. It is pretty desolate up there, which can be nice for a summer camp, but even I would not want to live there and my town only has 1300 people.

Old 01-27-2015, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarpeg View Post
I live in Southern Vermont near Brattleboro, took a ride up to the North East Kingdom this year just to check it out. Newport was the destination we intended to spend the night at. I have to say I was really disappointed in Newport. Surprised as it is right on the lake. Pretty much looked like a sad shabby dead town. Nothing much going on. The only hotel was out by the highway we didn't even stay turned around and headed south. It is pretty desolate up there, which can be nice for a summer camp, but even I would not want to live there and my town only has 1300 people.
I like the thought of being far out away from others and more in tune with nature, so maybe Newport would be great for someone like me. I don't need night life or social life outside of work, so that is a plus for me too. The photos of Newport look nice, but I realize they are photos. I spent 2 months in Vermont in the summer of 2013 and drove/visited many places. Unfortunately, Newport or the Northeast Kingdom, was not one of those places. However, I may accept the job to at least get me up into Vermont again, but I hope I end up loving it up there as much as I loved what I have seen of Vermont already. Thanks!

Old 01-29-2015, 09:31 PM

542 posts, read 701,611 times
Ok let me just rephrase this a bit. If your living in Vermont ( aside from the middle of Burlington) you can be as far away and in tune with nature as you want anywhere in the state. The whole state is naturally beautiful, and it is all rural...If you have a job all set in Newport then that may be a reason to go up there, but if your making a list of good, or cool or vibrant etc. Vermont towns Newport is going to be way down at the bottom. Sorry to offend those in Newport, but really, looking pretty sad. Anyway, best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont