U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 09:14 AM

1,436 posts, read 4,607,258 times

Advertisements

I have read a lot of posts which say it is hard to make a living in Vermont. I have read that salaries are low, that the cost of living is high, and that people often have to work several jobs to make ends meet.

I am a New York City social worker, so I already know about inadequate wages and high living costs. I'm sure salaries are lower in Vermont. I do not plan to be dependent on a social worker's salary.

Apart from private professional practice, which I plan to do, what kinds of jobs do people take to supplement their income? What about home-based businesses? What kinds of businesses have a chance to be successful in that area? I know these are hard questions to answer, because of their generality, but I would appreciate any responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2006, 12:18 PM

2,551 posts, read 5,297,762 times
When I lived in Vermont I did OK on just my salary with no supplement necessary. The cost of living is somewhat high, but I am originally from Connecticut so it didn't even make me flinch. If you are coming from NY, you'll be in the same boat. When I lived in VT I worked out of Burlington then Brattleboro, so I wasn't stuck in a really rural area with limited opportunities.

Old 11-14-2006, 03:18 AM

Thanks for your reply.

If I move to Vermont, it would probably be to Brattleboro, for various reasons, so your comment was especially helpful.

By the way, how would you compare Brattleboro with Burlington? I have read so much about Burlington, that I might consider living there some time in the future, after I've spent some time in Brattleboro.

Old 11-14-2006, 06:55 AM

2,551 posts, read 5,297,762 times
Brattleboro is just a large town. It has all of the amenities you would need (shopping, grocery stores, etc.) but certainly does not have the feel of a city. Don't get me wrong, I like Brattleboro very much. It all depends what you are looking for.

Burlington is a city, no doubt, with all of the life (bars, live music, restaurants, culture, etc.) that goes along with being home to a larger university. Burlington is also only 90 minutes from Montreal, the nearest big urban area and one of my favorites to boot.

Both are liberal progressive places, and of course both have their own natural beauty. You can't go wrong with either, in my ever so humble opinion. .

Old 11-15-2006, 09:26 AM

115 posts, read 291,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arel View Post
Thanks for your reply.

If I move to Vermont, it would probably be to Brattleboro, for various reasons, so your comment was especially helpful.

By the way, how would you compare Brattleboro with Burlington? I have read so much about Burlington, that I might consider living there some time in the future, after I've spent some time in Brattleboro.
Hi there, I have posted on this website a few times with regards to VT.......and so far 100% of the time it has been negative. I think the reason is due to my own failings when it came to moving here. I failed to do enough research and so found it extremely hard to settle here when I discovered just how bad the job market is here. In addition even with the few jobs that are here salaries are way behind the cost of living and so a lot of folks do find themselves doing more than one job just to survive.......that to me is a miserable existance and is why I am leaving the state. VT is without doubt a beautiful state but they have the balance wrong between protecting the environment and encouraging investment in the state..............what's the point of having a beautiful state if you can't afford to enjoy it. As an alternative to Brattleboro or Burlington, why don't you look at Bennington which is on the MA / NY state line. Its an ok little town but its biggest benefit is that its within commuting distance of Albany and more jobs. I regret not considering it as a serious option but I was blinded by the beauty of lake champlain and burlington. When my wife and I decided that we had to escape VT, we looked at Southern ME, MA and southern NH. They appear just as expensive if not more than VT and with the exception of MA, the salaries also seem to be lagging behind the cost of living but the one overiding fact for me is that the places we have researched so far seem to have a lot more access to jobs than VT.

Old 11-24-2006, 04:32 PM

208 posts, read 747,658 times
I lived in Brattleboro for 13 years. It is definitely cheaper to live in Brattleboro than Burlington, and the wages are about the same. I almost took a job with IBM in Burlington years ago but realized we'd be worse off than in Brattleboro because of the cost of living.

I loved Brattleboro, it was a great town. You can do fine working in Brattleboro, plus Greenfield, Mass and Keene, NH aren't too far away either. If you're really ambitious, Springfield, Mass offers quite a few jobs but you have a long commute.

Old 11-24-2006, 05:06 PM

Nomoresubways,

Thank you for your post. I found it very useful. Since your name is "Nomoresubways", does that mean you are from New York?

One thing that impresses me about Brattleboro, based on what I read on iBrattleboro, is the strong sense of community. I find it hard to have that sense of community in New York, even at the neighborhood level, simply because of the huge number of people. The only way I have found to have it is to join an organization or network, based on a common interest.

In spite of that, I usually feel very attached to New York, partially because of its qualities but mostly, I think, because it is home and I am rooted here. If you are from New York, or even from another large city, please write something about the change in going from a big city to fairly small town. Thanks.

Old 11-24-2006, 07:29 PM

229 posts, read 935,559 times
Default Ok, here we go

My wife and I retired and moved to a really small town in Vermont. Needless to say, the culture shock was incredible. Another poster mentioned that Vt is a beautiful state and it is. It's just too bad that the only peole that can afford Vermont are "flatlanders" who bring in money from out-of-state but that can't and won't last forever. For the most part, Vermont is anti-development and that is a shame. I guess that's the reason why the state only has 650k people in it.
With the passage of Act 60 and later Act 68, school taxes are a nightmare and a total mess. School taxes are levied by the State for God sake with minimal local control.
Other posts in this thread have mentioned that many people work two or more jobs to make ends meet. I would agree with that although one thing puzzles me. Why is it that when YOU WANT TO GIVE SOMEONE MONEY to do work for you, they NEVER call you back. If they DO call you back and make an appointment, they don't show up. I just don't get it.
From reading the local papers, it seems that the two biggest social problems in Vermont are domestic violence and substance abuse. Not good.

Old 11-25-2006, 10:01 AM

What you wrote is sobering. But substance abuse and domestic violence are all over, not just in Vermont. So is irresponsibility.

Sounds like there are nice niches for people who return phone calls and who do what they say they will.

And for social workers and other social service personnel.

It's an interesting point that you made, that maybe social and economic problems are why Vermont has so few people, even with its breathtaking beauty. Something to think about before I commit myself to moving there.

New York City has serious social problems and, for many, economic issues. It has little or no breathtaking beauty. Yet we have over 8 million people. Brooklyn, where I live, is becoming increasingly congested; it takes forever to get around sometimes. But, of course, New York is a charismatic, world class city, and there are lots of jobs here, sometimes extremely lucrative jobs, so there is an understandable attraction for people.

What part of Vermont do you live in? I have read on these posts that southern Vermont has a better outlook for job seekers, and also proximity to jobs in New Hampshire and Massachusetts.

Here's a question: If someone lives in Vermont and works in Massachusetts, does income tax need to be paid in both states?

Last edited by arel; 11-25-2006 at 11:24 AM..

Old 11-25-2006, 11:00 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,073,681 times
For job opportunities, the Upper Valley (White River Junction area) and the Burlington area are the best bets in the state. Not familiar with the Brattleboro area. I do know that some folks who live in Bennington commute over to the Albany area (UGH!).
The above poster mentioned that they live in Leicester, which is in Addison county between Middlebury and Brandon. Sounds like another case of not doing enough research. And yes, Vermont has become too expensive for the ordinary folk who live and try to make a living here...folks from "away" come up here with the retirement nest eggs and/or trust funds buying up property for their "dream" home. For many Vermonters, a dream home is a small cape or ranch, not a McMansion.
Anywho.
Arel...are you reading the Brattleboro Reformer on a daily basis? That will give you an idea on the daily goings-ons in the Brattleboro area. Contact a realtor as well, as they'll be able to give you advise regarding the housing market in the area. I know up here in Burlington, properties are sitting much longer than they have in the recent past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont