U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2014, 01:41 PM

168 posts, read 187,592 times

Advertisements

I'm tired of seeing that "the most horrible place" thread at the top of the Vermont forum, so I thought I'd start something different - "Vermont: the most Vermontish place". Every place has good and bad, but every place has its uniqueness too. So what's uniqely Vermont to you?

I'll start - the first thing that comes to mind is the phrase "let's see how it sugars out". I'd never heard it before moving to Vermont - yet the first time I heard it, it made perfect sense. (It probably helped that I knew a fair bit about the maple syrup process!) And I don't think anyone outside of Vermont would have a clue what the idiom means (except maybe people in adjacent areas of the Adirondacks, White Mountains, and Quebec), so to me it's something that really says "Vermont".

What's uniquely Vermont to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2014, 07:26 PM

17,860 posts, read 54,158,070 times
"Music To Go To The Dump By" every Saturday morning on WDEV. We really DID go to the Waterbury dump on Saturday mornings in the 1950s.
"The Hermit of Hunger Mountain" was a character played by Bart ___ , one of the engineers at the transmitter. He gave pithy advice and witticisms on MTGTTDB.
Stoweware products. They are woodcraft products like bowls and such that were made in Stowe. The Louisville Slugger actually has roots in Waterbury Vt at the old Derby Ball mill and the baseball bats made there. The first electric toy train was arguably made by Davenport, a Vermonter. The Cabot Co-op has always been uniquely Vermont.

Old 12-25-2014, 09:10 AM

2,867 posts, read 2,986,639 times
What's uniquely Vermont to you?

Maple Groves products (St Johnsbury). Always remember Fairdale Farms dairy products from my youth too. Driving the muddy back roads during the thaw especially one spring and not slowing down for fear of sinking in. Walking to school during the fall and hearing the leaves swish, swish, swish around my feet. Going to the local ponds during summer and fishing/swimming. The first day of trout season and going to the railroad station restaurant to get coffee before fishing early in the morning and having it being cold. Getting up and getting into the woods just before dawn during deer season and sitting and waiting for the sun to come up. Starry nights and looking up at the night sky in our back yard.

Old 12-25-2014, 12:54 PM

1,018 posts, read 1,420,209 times
Apple picking, swimming in the old quarries, and my Dad polishing big marble slabs back in the day.

Old 12-27-2014, 03:09 PM

32 posts, read 46,852 times
So many locally made products. I don't think I have ever visited a state with so many little entrepreneurs going strong. I always try and support them even if it costs a little more. There is nowhere where the adage "buy local' really can be followed with such regularity and so much pleasure.

But a little less and what you do buy buy local if you can. Good for everyone and the planet.

Old 12-29-2014, 12:45 PM

150 posts, read 177,438 times
What's uniquely VT to me is our two distinct seasons: winter and July.

Old 12-29-2014, 12:46 PM

17,860 posts, read 54,158,070 times
I've seen snow on July 4th. I think you may have meant August.

Old 12-31-2014, 07:10 AM

16,833 posts, read 29,110,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sovertennis View Post
What's uniquely VT to me is our two distinct seasons: winter and July.
What happened to mud & black fly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or