Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 04:57 PM

495 posts, read 607,056 times

Advertisements

The state is open Liberal and pro-environment, but why wouldn't such a state be more a magnet for diversity and more black people?

Even more ironic is Vermont has the laxest gun laws and car registration laws in the U.S. and no guarded border, heck not even with Derbyline

And so few minorities why?

Old 12-26-2014, 05:45 PM

18,332 posts, read 26,360,529 times
History and our economy. There were never many blacks in New England historically. Our economy offers little for those who may move here.

The border is guarded now in Derby. Homeland security has successfully divided neighbors and families with their fascist rules. Don't get caught crossing the street without going to customs, and don't go out the wrong door of the library either...

Old 12-27-2014, 12:07 AM

23,519 posts, read 69,916,722 times
Historically rural, little chance for minority groups to make any inroads. The Italians got in with stone cutting in Barre, the French Canadians had historical ties, the Irish with the railroads and lake traffic and lumbering along with farming. There were no business ventures that had need of bringing in groups of minorities more than that. The cold weather and poor farming kept a lot from choosing Vermont. Even Vermonters migrated out of state.

Old 12-27-2014, 08:22 AM

But there were software computer jobs in Burlington my friend, who is non-white, did not hear back from. He did, in contrast, land equivalent positions in NY state?

Can Vermont make an effort to be more conscious on things like this? I would fit right into Vermont but I want my friends to feel that same way. Maybe it takes a little Vermont kid to stick up for his picked on friend and say we are different shades of a rainbow, like those sprinkles on an ice cream sundae? You know?

If you see people who look different from the average local but they are trying to fit in, make them feel that same neighborly warmth. It is (Vermont)a Switzerland and a garden of Eden. When I buy stuff from Vermont it usually comes with a poem or something truly unique. Parts of the state are a time warp back to the days of vinyl records. Ice cream stands. This is definitely not a state that disliked minorities. It's more the kind of state where if someone can't afford to pay their bills, the community will let them live in the house and detract the power that be from taking their home away....

The traditions of the state and its genuine honesty make the state more succeptible to exposure to racial divides that are actually bigger in numerous other states, but in Vermont people say what their subconscience says because people are close and know each other.....and then they get pinned as if they are more biased.....

Truth is if you feel like you don't fit in Vermont, you don't have to be afraid to express how you feel. People don't mean to have biases. Be upfront and say "I want to learn more about you....can we break the ice? Do you take pride in your origin or do you want to put it behind?"

Maine is similar as is New Brunswick Canada

In a town in NB I was one of only a few Jewish people to come into one of the small stores because I was on a non-touristy backroad. The guy tried to learn about my origin in a really distinct way....throwing in conclusions that were commonplace. I liked this because this Guy was blatantly honest so that made me very comfortable

My conclusion is Vermont accepts everyone but it takes more effort when you see unfamiliar faces, given it's not a commonplace thing. So I like Vermont.

Old 12-27-2014, 10:36 AM

23,519 posts, read 69,916,722 times
"But there were software computer jobs in Burlington my friend, who is non-white, did not hear back from. He did, in contrast, land equivalent positions in NY state? "

LOL! You haven't been keeping up with the news then. IBM has been dumping employees for the past few years, saturating the market with out of work engineers. Bringing some one in from out-of-state makes little sense. Half of them will leave within a short period anyway once they get disillusioned.

"Can Vermont make an effort to be more conscious on things like this?"

In literature, that is called the "pathetic fallacy." Vermont is a state comprised of land, individuals, and a legal system. It is not an individual that can be conscious, especially since herding cats is easier than getting Vermonters to be of one mind on a subject.

Old 12-27-2014, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
"But there were software computer jobs in Burlington my friend, who is non-white, did not hear back from. He did, in contrast, land equivalent positions in NY state? "

LOL! You haven't been keeping up with the news then. IBM has been dumping employees for the past few years, saturating the market with out of work engineers. Bringing some one in from out-of-state makes little sense. Half of them will leave within a short period anyway once they get disillusioned.

"Can Vermont make an effort to be more conscious on things like this?"

In literature, that is called the "pathetic fallacy." Vermont is a state comprised of land, individuals, and a legal system. It is not an individual that can be conscious, especially since herding cats is easier than getting Vermonters to be of one mind on a subject.
Can "some" individuals in Vermont reading this thread who care about this state, make an effort to be more conscious of potential racial inequalities that you see around you in the places you go? Specifically, this means being the same way as you are to everyone else you see, if the person is of a different race, color, religion, size, fashion, age...thanks! Racial discrimination is bad.

Old 12-27-2014, 04:14 PM

32 posts, read 64,242 times
My sense:

Few large cities. Many small town where its tough to fit in.

A tough climate - come on, who is prepared for 7 months of cold, dirt roads, mud season and routine power outages.

Old 12-29-2014, 12:27 PM

2,866 posts, read 3,611,983 times
ERICTHEBEAN please stop seeing the "racial boogyman" where he doesn't exist. Your friend did not hear back from his application to his computer job. My wife and I, who are of European extract, have applied to probably a dozen jobs between us whilst here in Maine and have heard back from maybe two. It's NOT a "racial" thing. It is a modern day employment thing so we were told recently in a resume' writing seminar. Potential employers don't always get back to you to tell you that you're not hired. And as far as fitting in and being accepted, we are going through that in our local neighborhood and it is more a "homogenous" thing then anything approaching racial. We weren't born and raised here. Vermont is not a small version of NYC or Boston, it is its own unique culture with its own unique people, like it or not. Why more minorities don't move to VT? Ask them. Maybe lack of jobs, cost of living, small village/town size, lack of entertainment. Doesn't have to be a racial thing.

Old 12-29-2014, 01:33 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,561,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericthebean View Post
Can "some" individuals in Vermont reading this thread who care about this state, make an effort to be more conscious of potential racial inequalities that you see around you in the places you go? Specifically, this means being the same way as you are to everyone else you see, if the person is of a different race, color, religion, size, fashion, age...thanks! Racial discrimination is bad.
I would say there are far more economic inequalities within the state than there are racial.

Old 12-31-2014, 01:07 PM

444 posts, read 577,494 times
Default ?

Put yourself in their shoes...would you want to move somewhere everyone was different than you? second, there is no work for them in vermont, and no social programs to support their lifestyle...plus it is cold...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont