U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 10:28 AM

20 posts, read 22,560 times

Advertisements

6 months ago I relocated to the Appalachian mountains of Eastern, TN from my home state of CT. I wanted to move to VT but had to give TN a try to appease my late husbands parents as they are retiring here and still want to be by their grandchildren. Well I hate it here. HATE IT! So Ive decided to follow my heart and go back to New England as soon as my lease is up. I have 2 elementary school aged children and Im widowed. I am looking to find the best area's for school systems and cost of living. I know the bigger towns are super expensive but what about the rural areas or the outskirts of the larger ones? I know VT is expensive to live but its still not as expensive as Fairfield County, CT. Before my husband died we were looking at some property's around the White Mountains as I recall its pretty rural there but beautiful. Any advise or help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 07:12 AM

10,305 posts, read 11,216,655 times
There are lots of great places to live in Vermont, but you haven't given us much to go on. Maybe you could let us know what kind of work you do, what kind of social settings and amenities you're interested in, and what you don't like about Tennessee so we can try to get closer to what you might want.

Old 01-05-2015, 08:41 AM

Thanks Jack!
What I don't like about here. Its super religious and your basically invisible if you don't attend church. People constantly end conversations or a simple hello with "come follow me". Bible pushers everywhere, all day every day. The school systems here are horrible! I mean there is a huge gap in education from South to North and its very apparent. The meth problem is bigger than anywhere else I have ever seen. Its everywhere and I mean everywhere. Now mix both of those together, religion and meth and well that's a monster of its own. The food culture is all corporate fast and chains. Also organic and health conscious is basically non existent here. Its slow but not slow like relaxed and laid back. It slow like stupid or lazy slow. I know that sounds ignorant but its the truth. My kids get picked on because they sound educated and they are "fancy"...smh... Also being a foster parent is a job here! There are so many kids in foster care or being taken care of by grandparents that it is sad.... I almost feel like the Government has failed this area of the country. As people from the Northeast we really are priviledged and certainly hardworking also! I know this isnt all of TN and I certainly dont want to put that label on everywhere. Its Greene County where I am. The truth is I just dont belong in the south and feel like my kids deserve way more than the South can offer them (when compared to where we come from of course).

What I am looking for.
A good school system doesnt have to be top 10% but decent. My daughters are 9 so they have many years to go in the school system. Cozy laid back relax community feel but with access to shopping, rest, ect. Im a single widowed Mom so social scene doesnt matter. I am an Optician but I am currently studying Holistic Nutrition online and am certified in the use of Holistic Herbs, Vitamins, Minerals and Nutraceuticals. (No one here cares about any of that) My husbands death has afforded me to not worry about work depending on the cost of living. Thats why Burlington has got to be out of the question until I finish school. It is where I would love to be though. Yes Im sure its part fantasy because I road tripped there all the time up RT 7 from Danbury LOL.

We are avid hikers, skaters, bikers and my kids are snowboarders. We love the cold weather and the snow. I have been looking into Orleans, Essex and Caledonia Counties for a while now. The cost of living is great but I also see they are pretty rural. I dont mind that but I do need access to stores and some entertainment for the kids. I keep getting brought back to Newport Derby area. Before my husband died we were looking at property over by the White Mountains. We actually had our eye on a property in White River Junction for a while and he died a week after we put in the offer. That was 7.5yrs ago. Havent been back to VT since.
Sorry for the ramble but any advice, opinions will help. Thanks!

Old 01-05-2015, 05:15 PM

809 posts, read 677,214 times
jai 1130, I'm a Springfield booster-- moved here almost 40 years ago as a single parent-- but you can apply to almost any Vermont town what I say here. All this (except the Internet part) worked for me way back when:

1. Look up real estate data on Vermont towns-- they have oodles on economic, social, demographic, etc., characteristics. And you'll get a good idea of what's affordable in housing.

2. Websites are in place for a lot of towns-- contact the Chamber of Commerce and tell them you'd like to stay in your profession. Ask them if there's an optometrist or related service in their town. See if they're likely to be hiring. Won't hurt to talk to them.

3. If you consider yourself a pioneer sort (or its 70's equivalent, a hippie looking to get back to the land), you will find it very enjoyable to be in a community of young, optimistic and poor (as I was) parents who substitute smarts for money and get involved with the local school. You will be instantly appreciated-- and it will be good for your kids.

4. The state job service has all its known openings listed on the Internet. You'll find that helpful.

5. Check with the town or county's local land trust and housing authority to see what might be financially possible for you. If you're on a really bare bones budget, ask if they know of any intentional communities-- congenial people living together rather than severally paying through the nose for a studio apartment.

6. If the town has a food co-op, it's a plus! People who shop in co-ops are quintessential Vermonters. You'll fit right in.

Old 01-05-2015, 06:34 PM

16,833 posts, read 29,101,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgregor View Post
jai 1130, I'm a Springfield booster-- moved here almost 40 years ago as a single parent-- but you can apply to almost any Vermont town what I say here. All this (except the Internet part) worked for me way back when:

1. Look up real estate data on Vermont towns-- they have oodles on economic, social, demographic, etc., characteristics. And you'll get a good idea of what's affordable in housing.

2. Websites are in place for a lot of towns-- contact the Chamber of Commerce and tell them you'd like to stay in your profession. Ask them if there's an optometrist or related service in their town. See if they're likely to be hiring. Won't hurt to talk to them.

3. If you consider yourself a pioneer sort (or its 70's equivalent, a hippie looking to get back to the land), you will find it very enjoyable to be in a community of young, optimistic and poor (as I was) parents who substitute smarts for money and get involved with the local school. You will be instantly appreciated-- and it will be good for your kids.

4. The state job service has all its known openings listed on the Internet. You'll find that helpful.

5. Check with the town or county's local land trust and housing authority to see what might be financially possible for you. If you're on a really bare bones budget, ask if they know of any intentional communities-- congenial people living together rather than severally paying through the nose for a studio apartment.

6. If the town has a food co-op, it's a plus! People who shop in co-ops are quintessential Vermonters. You'll fit right in.

I'm going to second much of what was written.

I had considered moving up to Chester full time and putting my kids in school up here. (It's a different school district than Springfield.) I was on the fence as the school district we're in back in NY is highly rated. I wound up staying put in NY. Meanwhile, a friend's daughter (whose children are much younger than mine) lives in the same school district as I do. She pulled her kids and had them attend school up in the Mount Holly area. Her husband's job made it much easier for them to relocate in that fashion.

Both of us had agreed: if we had homes in Springfield, we would never have even contemplated putting our children into school there. That's not to say the other districts were perfect -- they just had fewer issues.

I would suggest the OP looks at Chester school district but closer to the Springfield border in order to avail herself of the good things Springfield has to offer.

Old 01-05-2015, 07:43 PM

10,305 posts, read 11,216,655 times
Chester is a nice village and worth a look. I don't know much about it socially, but I can see someone considering it.

Veterans here may be sick of hearing me say it, but I think Montpelier is the best place to live in Vermont. It has good schools, a real community feel, close to outdoor recreation. There are some opticians' offices so there might be employment opportunities for you. Not sure about the healer thing: there are massage therapists, yoga studios, and healers in just about every building downtown, so I'd be concerned about the competition. I would think there might not be enough business to go around. Housing prices are not cheap but nowhere near Burlington prices, and we have a beautiful downtosn.

Vermont and New Hampshire are the least religious states in the country, so we have that going for us.

Based on what you're saying I probably wouldn't recommend the Northeast Kingdom (the three counties you mention) because I suspect you wouldn't find it congenial to your values and lifestyle, although I know that's a generalization. When I came to move here St. J. really seemed like an outpost, and when I have to drive up there, not to mention Newport or Guildhall, it still pretty much feels that way.

The place I usually advise people to look at for real estate listings, at least to get a sense of what's out there, is nneren.com. You can search by town or county.

Feel free to PM me for more information.

Old 01-05-2015, 09:34 PM

17,851 posts, read 54,134,324 times
Warren and Moretown, possibly. Maybe Middlesex. I tend to agree that Derby and the Kingdom are less of a fit. Bluntly, you are used to monied areas, culture and services. That means being somewhat close to Burlington, Montpelier, or a ski area for a fit. If you head off in the hills, you are more likely to find poverty and some of what you disliked about Tennessee. OTOH costs in Stowe will eat you out of house and home. Good public schools tend to be near colleges.

Old 01-06-2015, 09:25 AM

168 posts, read 187,421 times
Curious that no one here's recommended the Upper Valley. Granted Norwich, Woodstock, and parts of Thetford and Hartford, can be pricey; but go just one tier further away from these towns and I think you'll find good affordability in Bradford, Strafford, Sharon, Windsor, etc. - while still having great proximity to the things that the Upper Valley has to offer - which include not only a strong tourist economy and the cultural trappings of Dartmouth, but also the medical center (and much closer drives to Boston and NYC [and their airports], if that's important).

Old 01-06-2015, 09:31 AM

Thank you all!!!! Cgregor I will def start looking into the things you mentioned. Jack you hit the nail on the head with the NEK even though I keep going back to it I dont think it will be the right fit for me. I may start to feel trapped as I do here. Harry your right I am used to area's like that. I never realized it until I moved here but none the less your completely right. I will start looking into these suggestions.

Old 01-06-2015, 10:19 AM

3,329 posts, read 8,782,460 times
Take a look at Vergennes. Commutable to metro Burlington. Cheaper home prices than Chittenden County. Vergennes has a nice little downtown with quite a few good restaurants and nice shops. I have friends with kids in the school system and they have nothing but good things to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or