U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 03:20 PM

56 posts, read 64,596 times

Advertisements

Hey folks,

While back there seemed to be a really informative thread that contained a lot of juicy bits from people who moved to VT from out of state/region. Not bashing sort of stuff, just things you never think about, cultural differences, etc. Does that ring a bell for anyone? I've checked all over the boards, and can't find it anywhere. I initially found it super helpful as a few folks were from the South and brought up some real thought-provoking experiences. We've got several friends who have moved to VT, but they're all New Englanders, so have a different take than say, someone like me from the Carolinas.

I'm wondering if I've gone a bit touched, and it wasn't on city-data at all. Anyway, if it comes to you, I'd appreciate a holler.

Thanks heaps!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2015, 07:11 AM

30 posts, read 34,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cackalassie View Post
Hey folks,

While back there seemed to be a really informative thread that contained a lot of juicy bits from people who moved to VT from out of state/region. Not bashing sort of stuff, just things you never think about, cultural differences, etc. Does that ring a bell for anyone? I've checked all over the boards, and can't find it anywhere. I initially found it super helpful as a few folks were from the South and brought up some real thought-provoking experiences. We've got several friends who have moved to VT, but they're all New Englanders, so have a different take than say, someone like me from the Carolinas.

I'm wondering if I've gone a bit touched, and it wasn't on city-data at all. Anyway, if it comes to you, I'd appreciate a holler.

Thanks heaps!

I can't imagine that thread would last long. All positive comments would be well received, of course, but the first sign of anything critical about Vermont would be met with bitter opposition from the propaganda council who try to paint the state as a utopia, despite the numerous signs of some underlying, but serious, issues.

Last edited by BS Walks; 01-19-2015 at 07:20 AM..

Old 01-19-2015, 03:47 PM

809 posts, read 679,007 times
You'll want to read the book about that: The Protocols of the Elders of Houghtonville.

Old 01-20-2015, 10:57 AM

Oh my, such little rays of sunshine!

Old 01-20-2015, 11:09 AM

35,324 posts, read 25,213,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cackalassie View Post
Oh my, such little rays of sunshine!

Those don't appear until May.

Old 01-20-2015, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Sweet J, I barely missed a spit take all over my laptop.

Old 01-20-2015, 02:26 PM

3,079 posts, read 3,724,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
About the same time the black flies come out.

Old 01-21-2015, 01:25 PM

150 posts, read 177,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
About the same time the black flies come out.
..and swarm so thickly they blot out that sliver of sunlight that we waited six months for...

Old 01-21-2015, 03:28 PM

2,867 posts, read 2,989,860 times
As a Vermonter that moved to NC, I probably experienced the same thing as you but in reverse. The culture shock and the not being accepted as a Yankee thing for me upon moving down south. But really I think it all depends on WHERE you move in Vermont (like where you move in NC, I just happened to land in a VERY anti-north section) and how you conduct yourself once there as well as how hard you try to adapt to the polar opposite culture. As a native New Englander I am back in New England after living just, I mean JUST south of the M-D line and am having a tough time adjusting as well. As a family that has lived in NY, NC, WV, VT, CA, VA do you know where the friendliest people were that we met along our way? In a little NEK VT town. (note: I DON'T count hometowns because one grew up there and has lifelong friends and relatives). These people were so damned friendly when I first moved up there and was having a hard time finding housing, total strangers opened their homes and put me up, refusing rent or letting me work off partial rent (yes I had a job) until my wife moved up and we found an apartment. But still they continued to be friendly and shared their everyday lives with us. We became part of the community in no time. That was 20 years ago and when I stop through that little town people still treat me like I never left. Oh, Hi Dan, how are you? What have you been doing lately? Why don't you stop in and see us next time you come through. Here's our email/address, send us a note once and awhile. Our reason for leaving there was NOT lack of friendship. It was financial.

Old 01-23-2015, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
As a Vermonter that moved to NC, I probably experienced the same thing as you but in reverse.
Thanks, Dan, that's most helpful. Where were you in NC? And what is tough now about your adjustment back in New England? I do find Vermonters charmingly friendly. When you say polar opposite culture, what strikes you as the biggest differences between the two (other than weather...)?

I've experienced the black flies up there, I'll take them any day over our swarms of skeeters...and ticks. Yeah, I know y'all have 'em, but not like the hordes down here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or