Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 12:35 PM

35 posts, read 42,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by happeemommee View Post
For those transplants, i was wondering what advice you would give to those of us planning our move to Vermont. What has been the most surprising aspect of your move? Anything you're disappointed in, what has been your favorite part of the move?

Basically, any words for newcomers? Locals- please don't think I'm leaving you out, you're input is always welcome!
Be prepared to be called a "Flatlander", a derogatory name used by native Vermonters for
anyone not born in Vermont. One of the first Vermonters I met when I moved here spat
the name in my face. To say the least I was puzzled and put off by it. It was my first
impression of VT, and you know what they say about first impressions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 06:23 PM

809 posts, read 998,043 times
Keep in mind that one-third of the people who call you "flatlander" are the children of people who moved here from New Jersey in the Sixties and Seventies, and one-third more are of parents who moved here from other states. They're just insecure about their own identity.

Old 02-17-2015, 10:01 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,969,999 times
I think no matter where you move, or live, people have a name for people not from there. In Florida, they make fun of those from New York, Michigan and Canada. In North Carolina, it's people from Florida, and from anywhere up north. So on and so on.

Old 02-18-2015, 07:01 AM

35 posts, read 42,830 times
Quote:
I think no matter where you move, or live, people have a name for people not from there. In Florida, they make fun of those from New York, Michigan and Canada. In North Carolina, it's people from Florida, and from anywhere up north. So on and so on.
Agreed. When I moved to VT 20+ years ago from NYS, I had no idea about the whole flatlander thing here. To be honest, it hasn't happened all that much. I just happened to run into a native with a chip on
his shoulder for people from NY.
When I finally leave this state in the near future for retirement in the South, I fully expect to be called a Yankee. LOL.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:34 AM

168 posts, read 285,818 times
Default Everybody, or their ancestors, moved at some point

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyG62 View Post
Be prepared to be called a "Flatlander", a derogatory name used by native Vermonters for
anyone not born in Vermont. One of the first Vermonters I met when I moved here spat
the name in my face. To say the least I was puzzled and put off by it. It was my first
impression of VT, and you know what they say about first impressions.
Quote:
I agree with Freddy, though; there's a different tone to "flatlander" (antonym: "four in the ground"). Growing up in West Virginia we made fun of drivers from Ohio, and jousted with Virginians over any number of topics - but at its core there was no actual resentment or dislike there, it was just cliche. Whereas the "flatlander" thing in Vermont really seems to be a bone with some people, a real barrier.

I too found it incredibly off-putting. We're in a situation where people are wringing their hands over the state's economy, and wringing their hands about young people leaving. Then you have someone in their 30s or 40s who proactively wants to move to Vermont and contribute to it - open a business, till the land, whatever - and instead they're dismissed as "flatlanders" and outsiders.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:31 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,862,267 times
for better or worse, there's not enough natives left here to call people flatlander.

Old 02-19-2015, 05:39 AM

167 posts, read 247,088 times
What if you come from a land that is NOT FLAT? lolol!
I always thought that kind of discrimination was funny. Some girl at work once told me she did not like strangers... I thought wow, that girl must not be very happy lol (especially working in tourism!!!).
I'm being called a "white girl" here and people are constantly telling me about my accent so flatlander me VT I don't care

D'y'all have some kind of a Mardi Gras up there? I heard Burlington has a parade? Anything fun? I'll make you some crawfish (or lobster :P) poboys when I get there

Old 02-19-2015, 09:34 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,971,513 times
We have some of the best breweries in the country and arguably the best beer in the world in Heady Topper. We are beer nerds and have never had a bad time visiting the various breweries around the state, Met a lot of fun people that way too.
Vermonters can be somewhat aloof at times but If you read about Irene, they'll also be the first at your door if you need help.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:39 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,962,187 times
I've been here full time for almost 3 years and have met a few folks who weren't that gracious, but ironically, they were not natives lol.

Old 02-19-2015, 12:00 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,969,999 times
Lol, I thought the same thing, darky! I'm living in the mountains of NC, surrounded by ski resorts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
View detailed profiles of: