Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 04:15 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,965,222 times

Advertisements

For those transplants, i was wondering what advice you would give to those of us planning our move to Vermont. What has been the most surprising aspect of your move? Anything you're disappointed in, what has been your favorite part of the move?

Basically, any words for newcomers? Locals- please don't think I'm leaving you out, you're input is always welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 04:58 PM

168 posts, read 284,676 times
Get out on the back roads and see the state - a lot of the beauty lies down one-lane roads and arond unexpected bends.

Some of my favorite Vermontish things are get-togethers - whether it's with neighbors for a potluck, or some kind of cheese / beer / sheep festival, etc. Despite a reputation for being taciturn and standoff-ish, it seems to me that Vermonters love to get together in groups.

Unless Vermont's treatment of federal taxes has changed (using gross income versus adjusted income for the state tax calculation), move on Jan. 1st. I wound up paying taxes to Vermont on income earned Arizona (while living in Arizona) because of this rule, which is (was?) unique in the nation.

Be honest and up-front and a little communitarian, but recognize that people in Vermont have been doing things a certain way for a long time, and don't necessarily want to hear yet one more outsider come in and suggest how things could change.

The winter is longer than you think it's going to be. If you have the right attitude / energy / friends, then get out and enjoy it and make the most of it (because you can't joust at windmills and make it go away). If you don't think you can get out and enjoy it, then make sure you have a good indoor hobby or craft to keep you busy (and happy, and sane). And if you don't think that's a viable option for you, then maybe think twice about the move.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:23 PM

809 posts, read 994,815 times
Join a community group or two and offer to help. If you don't buy a chainsaw, at least take the time to learn the terms used in woodturning technology; it's still a lingua franca. Be prepared for a lot of dirt roads. Cold settles in the hollows, so if you live in one, it can be zero there on an early spring morning and fifty in town at noon, but that passes quickly. Be there for other people's kids. Kids here are always safe when they're in groups; you don't have to sweat about what you hear on TV news. Life will be simpler if you can arrange it to get along without having to use a car very much. Don't pass up the fried bread dough. Most towns have excellent children's library programs. Life is not complete until you've found your first red eft. Learn where the local swimming holes are. Getting a deer is not important, but deer hunting as an activity is. Learn to change your own spark plugs, oil and oil and air filters. Prepare for yard sale heaven to start every Memorial Day and last through September.

Old 01-21-2015, 10:22 PM

167 posts, read 246,025 times
So I'm from Montreal and I'm looking at the forecast for Burlington & Montreal... It's much colder in Montreal. Do you know if Vt is generally the same or a little warmer? I don't know if you could answer me or if it's very relevant anyway haha. I'm in New Orleans right now and today was 70.
BUT moving somewhere in Vermont this June and was wondering.

It's great reading y'alls comments Especially all the positives!!!

Old 01-22-2015, 05:45 AM

2,061 posts, read 3,952,288 times
We moved up here from NYC 2 and a half years ago...I have been coming up here since I was a child on vacation though (summer vacation, btw, we don't ski lol) so I was not completely out of the loop on what to expect.

We do not have kids, and I found it is definitely harder to meet people, especially in a smaller town, if you don't have kids. This past year I finally starting meeting people and made some great friends, and now I find I have to make time to have a day to do nothing! I joined meetup groups to start with, met some people hiking and biking, volunteered for some organizations, and it all went from there.

Once we bought our house, we also met some neighbors that we have become friends with.

Old 01-22-2015, 01:24 PM

Default Yes, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by darky View Post
So I'm from Montreal and I'm looking at the forecast for Burlington & Montreal... It's much colder in Montreal. Do you know if Vt is generally the same or a little warmer?
Every time we'd go from Burlington to Montreal, it would be colder in Montreal. Sometimes significantly. (It's also windier in Montreal, b/c of the broad river valley, and that makes the cold that much worse.)

Vermont microclimates can vary quite a bit, though - sunny and snow melting in Burlington, still snowing and accumulating in Waterbury, warm and completely snow-free in the Upper Valley (in general - but go up some wooded hollow, and it's cold as heck). The Burlington NWS website is one of the better ones, IMHO, and I recommend it to help get more site-specific information.

Old 01-23-2015, 06:28 AM

167 posts, read 246,025 times
Thanks, that's good to hear

Old 01-23-2015, 02:13 PM

56 posts, read 75,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post
Despite a reputation for being taciturn and standoff-ish, it seems to me that Vermonters love to get together in groups.
If you could elaborate more on this, I'd appreciate it - are you from VT originally? People I know - who are from VT and NH - have said that other than the obvious things they've noticed moving down to NC, people don't gather as much up there - not including community events, etc., just less of the spontaneous "come over for dinner and hangout" sorts of gatherings. I'd LOVE to hear that is hogwash.

Old 01-23-2015, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cackalassie View Post
If you could elaborate more on this, I'd appreciate it - are you from VT originally? People I know - who are from VT and NH - have said that other than the obvious things they've noticed moving down to NC, people don't gather as much up there - not including community events, etc., just less of the spontaneous "come over for dinner and hangout" sorts of gatherings. I'd LOVE to hear that is hogwash.
Well I assume it's pretty idiosyncratic, for starters. My memories of the first time living in Vermont was on a farm in Hartland, where the house was pretty much Grand Central - friends and neighbors stopping by at all times, door always unlocked, etc.

And my 2nd time living in Vermont was similar, as is what I see in my friends - gathering for a potluck (particularly in winter) or a hike + picnic; getting together with friends to go cross-country skiing; etc. Maybe I just hang with more extroverted types (and I say that as an introvert myself), but it seemed to me there were a lot more casual get-togethers during my times in Vermont than I've seen in most other places (including other predominantly rural places) that I've lived.

Old 01-23-2015, 07:40 PM

75 posts, read 119,708 times
I would definitely agree with everything posted here so far!

If I can make a more nuts-and-bolts kind of comment, I would remind the OP that utilities are considerably more expensive here than average. Conversely, there are many options for how to heat your home (pellet stoves, propane, etc) that may save you money, so make sure you've explored all your options.

I think most Vermonters are genuinely friendly, we may not be the back-slapping 'Howdy' type, but I really think our state respects privacy and different lifestyles. Just be respectful of others' privacy and ways of life too and you'll be OK. People will open up to you before you know it, if you make the effort to get to know people!

Finally, get involved in your local library! Many of the smallest towns have great libraries, and they are often the only place you can hang out and congregate in that is free. Our 6 months of winter means we do tend to be avid readers! You can get great local info and find out about events that can open doors socially.

Nobody goes to pancake breakfasts or spaghetti dinners for the food! These are major social events and you should definitely attend some. Everybody goes to these events!

Have a great move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
View detailed profiles of: