U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 06:55 AM

54 posts, read 134,002 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys - We're an active, outdoorsy, family living in E. CT with flexibility regarding where we live (telecommuter). Like many who love the outdoors we've been interested in parts of N. New England for a while. Here is a punch list of what we're ideally looking for and would be grateful for any feedback on possible locations to investigate.

- <45min. to Burlington International Airport
- <45min to skiing
- Rural/Semi-rural or village (not suburb/subdivision)
- Good school system

We've spent a lot of time in VT, but it has always either been on business or on ski or camping trips with little time to check out some of the smaller towns with possible relocation in mind. We have been looking into: Underhill/Jericho, Middlebury, Vergennes, Waterbury, and Montpelier... sound like we're on the right track or way off?

Thanks, in advance,

RC

Last edited by RiceCake; 03-29-2015 at 07:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2015, 02:38 PM

3,329 posts, read 8,783,330 times
All the towns you mention are good ones. Of the ones you mentioned, Middlebury is my favorite. Its got the college, a nice downtown with independent shops and restaurants, a great natural foods co-op, a wonderful farmers market, good schools etc. Skiing is about 20 minutes away at the Snow Bowl or if you want bigger resorts Mad River Glen and Sugarbush are about 45 minutes away. Pico and Killington to the south about an hour or so.
I also really like Vergennes and Waterbury. Waterbury puts you closer to skiing and has some great restaurants. Vergennes has great restaurants as well and as an easy drive up to the Burlington area.

Old 03-30-2015, 09:09 AM

168 posts, read 187,475 times
I like the Mad River Valley- Waitsfiled, Warren, etc. Beautiful, close to Sugarbush, a tad closer to Connecticut and Boston (for urban access), and a little cheaper than Middlebury or Waterbury.

Old 03-30-2015, 01:24 PM

809 posts, read 677,214 times
Looking the southern part of the state would put you within 45 minutes of Hartford International and give you all the other features you seek, although in the opinion of some Brattleboro is not another Burlington.

Old 03-31-2015, 07:51 AM

150 posts, read 177,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgregor View Post
Looking the southern part of the state would put you within 45 minutes of Hartford International and give you all the other features you seek, although in the opinion of some Brattleboro is not another Burlington.
There is no town in the southern part of VT that is 45 minutes from Bradley Int'l Airport in Hartford, CT, unless you travel via helicopter.

The towns others have mentioned would all be suitable, and you could visit all of them within a three day weekend. Good luck in your search, RiceCake.

Old 03-31-2015, 10:30 AM

5,439 posts, read 14,778,307 times
Since I know them . I like Waterbury, Montpelier, Warren, Waitsfield, Middlebury

Old 04-02-2015, 01:09 PM

17,854 posts, read 54,146,150 times
Be SURE to check out internet options at your actual proposed street address before committing. By checking out, I mean actually SEEING it in action as well as verifying that providers will extend service. Frankly, you may find living in town better for you than living rural.

Old 04-02-2015, 01:24 PM

1,644 posts, read 2,109,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Be SURE to check out internet options at your actual proposed street address before committing. By checking out, I mean actually SEEING it in action as well as verifying that providers will extend service. Frankly, you may find living in town better for you than living rural.
Agree with this, rural Vermont internet options vary widely.

I'm fond of the towns bordering NH, best of both worlds, and I prefer Manchester over pretty much any other airport around.

Good luck!

Old 04-02-2015, 04:28 PM

4 posts, read 4,026 times
So, you wanna move to Vermont! Well, being born here & having lived here for nearly 40 years I suppose I have the credentials to weigh in on this & answer your questions. 45 MIN TO SKIING & THE AIRPORT? Well, the only skiing 45 min or less from Burlington would be the Bolton Valley area. Nothing...repeat NOTHING is 45 min from Burlington 9 out of 12 months of the year as winter travel makes getting anywhere double the time your GPS tells you. Another thing know one seems to mention. Vermont really has all of 2...interstates, I-89 & I-91. This means that a 45 minute drive just turned into an hour long (almost always more) as you WILL get stuck behind a logging truck, or a semi. (This is not a possibility but a guarantee) Due to the fact that anywhere you want to go UNLESS it's on one of those two interstate systems, will be on "secondary road". Having said this, lets not forget the state of Vermont's run down transportation agency, massive potholes, and small town budgets. As I write this, Channel 3 News (Vermont's Premier News Station, lol) is on in the background, & our Governor states "Vermont isn't a wealthy state, we don't have wealth in Vermont as do other States". Perfect timing Governor! Waterbury is the best pick out of all of the above mentioned towns eg. Middlebury, Vergennes etc. Waterbury because it is about a 45 min drive to Burlington no matter what, is growing very fast, is rural but still has some kind of a "downtown" and is center to Sugarbush & Mad River Glenn, Bolton Ski area, 20 min drive to Montpelier, much more affordable than Burlington. Vergennes is NOT 45 min away from Burlington let alone the airport. You must take Rt. 7 from Vergennes to get to Burlington, on a summer day this trip WILL take about 90 min. Education...Oh Boy! Our education system is not all that it's cracked up to be...and it's not just a "Vermont" thing. It's a Federal "standardized" "thing"...but please..as a parent of two children, do not move to Vermont for the seemingly good education, because it's just not here. And if your a parent of a child with ANY learning disabilities or receiving IEP services, forget it. The Vermont of "Old" is gone. In a state where some towns have no internet access, and easily half the state has little to no cell service, many of it's residents live within the lowest federal income guidelines, pill addiction and heroin use at an all time high (Rolling Stone Magazine,2014 I believe), very long & very cold winters, high unemployment and low wage jobs. (Right now the big news as I write this literally in the background, again, "Vermont is one of the most difficult areas to get cell reception on the globe", Gov.Peter Shumlin)
In summery...if money is no issue, then Vermont is a great place to live! Because you can afford a vacation, to ski, to own a business, to keep your child out of the public school system. If you are not wealthy, good luck! And I mean, Good luck!
PS: I'd look at New Hampshire as you can still get the rural lifestyle, skiing etc, without the taxation, more business, and frankly better living. Many people I know that grew up here have either moved far, far away or have relocated to NH. Feel free to write back with any questions. And to those that pose "If you hate it so much why do you still live there?" I'm in the process of relocating! Be well...Ian in Vermont

Old 04-02-2015, 05:08 PM

3,329 posts, read 8,783,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianrhein View Post
Vergennes is NOT 45 min away from Burlington let alone the airport. You must take Rt. 7 from Vergennes to get to Burlington, on a summer day this trip WILL take about 90 min.
Completely disagree. I do this drive fairly often. 23 miles apart. Vergennes to I-189 is approx. 25-30 minutes. Add another 10-15 minutes to downtown or over to the airport from there. Heading north on 7 can have some fairly bad traffic from IDX Drive to 189 during evening commute hours but that only adds 10-15 minutes. It has never taken 90 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or