U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Vermont: great schools, taxes, cost of living, children, neighborhood.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 07:22 PM

79 posts, read 286,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherylcatmom View Post
My husband played gigs there all summer. Did you get to enjoy the music?

Sheryl - what band is your husband in??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 08:27 PM

1,822 posts, read 4,521,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNOTTE View Post
Sheryl - what band is your husband in??

LOL! A better question: Who hasn't he played with? That's a shorter list. At the Lake House, he was playing with the Sandra Wright Band.

Old 01-16-2008, 05:03 PM

I have heard they are very good - My friend was the marketing person for DRP and booked them often. I haven't heard them play yet for whatever reason. As far as the LakeHouse is concerened - I just LOVE going there, sitting on the dock and listening to the music. We used to boat in to the restaurant when Dave and Shelly owned it - haven't been there but a couple of times since. Only when the company execs come from Atlanta - they beg to go there!

Old 01-30-2008, 12:19 PM

1 posts, read 2,018 times
Just a thought - my parents moved to VT from NJ in the late 80's, and my mother says that it was the best thing they could possibly have done for us growing up. I agree with her. If you think you've found something special, it's because you have - I had a lot of experiences that my cousins in suburban NJ never did, and didn't have to deal with a lot of the negative pressures that come from growing up in an area with that much money. As long as you can keep in touch with your family in NJ, I think you will be fine. And maybe buy a sun lamp...even between NJ and VT, the difference in how long it takes spring to arrive is remarkable.

Old 01-31-2008, 07:44 AM

72 posts, read 193,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cm3214 View Post
Just a thought - my parents moved to VT from NJ in the late 80's, and my mother says that it was the best thing they could possibly have done for us growing up. I agree with her. If you think you've found something special, it's because you have -
Thanks, i need this kind of ammo. as of now my wife isn't open any more to the idea. we had some friends go though a sad time with parents dieing(sp?). it got her thinking we need to stay close to her mom and my dad. so for now we are staying in NJ. I am going to continue to lightly, "inform" her though of the pluses to moving .

we will be up in feb. so i hope there will be snow.we were up twice in NOV and once in dec. it rained all three times.the kids are dieing for snow.we came up in JAN to winterize the house. couldn't pay 3.80 a gallon for propane.

i read on a different page about gypse hating the ice/snow. i am sorry for her fall, but maybe it will help knowing that there are people wishing for snow(like me and ohbeehave). this jan. was the least amount of snow in NJ and NY in the last 75 years.

Nj is very beautiful. I have absolutly no complains about growing up here. Living here as an adult with kids is a totally different animal all together. factor in people per sqmile, and you can see how frustating it can be. i consider myself above avg. when it comes to tollerating people. just for numbers sake, if 1 out of every 1000 people are jerks, then vt would have 678 were NJ would have 8100.that being said, i feel a kid can be happy anywhere they are loved and treated happily. weather we stay in NJ or move to VT, my kids will be just as happy. a decision to move will have to come from whats best for my wife and me. We all know that if the wife is happy then the family will be happy. so with that equation the move will have to come from my wife.

Just realized this is long winded and all over the place. Very sorry for that. Hopefully it helps with the winter dulldrums. if not please except my apology.

regards from NJ

Old 01-31-2008, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1luvvt View Post
We all know that if the wife is happy then the family will be happy.

Can you call my husband???

Old 01-31-2008, 08:11 PM

16,803 posts, read 29,011,820 times
"We all know that if the wife is happy then the family will be happy."

Around here we say:
Happy wife, happy life.

Old 02-01-2008, 05:19 AM

6,764 posts, read 19,720,756 times
I don't really hate snow..I hate ice..(who doesn't?). However, in NY we had ice storms every winter, too. At least one...you can stay home or brave it. Personally, if I decided to stay home and I was fired for it, then I wouldn't want to work at that job. My husband works the evening shift at a hospital, so he has to go in. However, if he CAN'T make it, I am sure they will understand. His boss lives 5 minutes from the place, we are 20 in good weather...

The one thing you guys may consider when moving that I have noticed besides the 'rough side roads' (hilly, missing pavement, dips, cracks, whatever) is that it is DARK here at night. Few people leave on their outside lights or porch lights. Many highways lack lights. Driving at night is an experience. You just have to get used to it being dark.

It's nice for star gazing, though.

To the OP...overall for us it has been a positive move. Remember the first year is the hardest anywhere. As far as schools, I am pleased with my son's school (new one) overall.

PS In my family we say if "DADDY'S NOT HAPPY, NO ONE IS.." 'Daddy' likes VT very much--he thinks I don't--I do, it just an adjustment for me...not just being in a new state but moving from being a stay at home mom to finding work, getting out of the house...it would be THE SAME for me anywhere..

Last edited by GypsySoul22; 02-01-2008 at 05:38 AM..

Old 02-01-2008, 02:27 PM

1 posts, read 1,961 times
Vermont???

there is no more vermont, only extreme northern new jersey.

vermont no longer exists friend, thanks to the influx of city folk from jersey and lonG island and CT who thank god moved here to tell us how we been doing it wrong all these 200+ years.

they can't stand dirt roads in the mud season, cant stand this or that, 'back in thomaston we had...." and the ever popular , "these vermonters ...."

so they get on every board they can, have more money than god so run more and eventually get elected , they start with paving things, then making it more and more like the place they escaped from, then guess what?

none of these things came free!

so now as you said, the cost of living is the same as in jersey, guess what? the pay here aint jersey pay friend, and the only jobs that are paying jersey pay end up in the hands of the jerseyites, it's sheer percentages...1% vermonters are not going to beat out the 90% of the jerseyites.

wanta move here? i have a house for you. jersey price too, with taxes to go with it.
you'll feel right at home, 6 neighbors and all from jersey.
passing a millin laws to stop this and stop that and make sure vermont is more like jersey everyday.

seriously, want the house? you'll love it.

Old 02-01-2008, 04:15 PM

72 posts, read 193,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
Vermont???
seriously, want the house? you'll love it.
I am truely sorry you feel this way. I feel the same about NJ since all the NYer's are moving in. Some say it is progress but i don't feel that way. I have met lots of nice people from VT,NY, and NJ. If i had the answer i would surely let all know, but until i figure it out i have to try and do what's best for my family.
Thanks for the offer of the house but i already have one. I hope you are able to figure out what's best for you and your family.

regards from NJ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont