Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Vermont: great schools, taxes, cost of living, children, neighborhood.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 05:36 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
Vermont???

vermont no longer exists friend, thanks to the influx of city folk from jersey and lonG island and CT who thank god moved here to tell us how we been doing it wrong all these 200+ years.

they can't stand dirt roads in the mud season, cant stand this or that, 'back in thomaston we had...." and the ever popular , "these vermonters ...."

so they get on every board they can, have more money than god so run more and eventually get elected , they start with paving things, then making it more and more like the place they escaped from, then guess what?

none of these things came free!
If yore gonna make funna da Sout Shaw axcent, get it right.
LAWN GUYLAND.

Not all of us are out to make VT change and tell you what you're doing wrong. Some of us are trying to tell you what went wrong elsewhere. If you can spare someone a hurt, would you not warn them?

I love dirt roads in mud season -- da muddiah da bettah (some Lawn Guylandahs drop the R's at the end) This flatlandah has pulled local natives from ditches. I won't criticize their mistakes, but natives would be quick to point out mine, as I am a flatlandah.

If you are selling your home, where are you going to go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2008, 08:08 PM

79 posts, read 314,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
If yore gonna make funna da Sout Shaw axcent, get it right.
LAWN GUYLAND.

Not all of us are out to make VT change and tell you what you're doing wrong. Some of us are trying to tell you what went wrong elsewhere. If you can spare someone a hurt, would you not warn them?

I love dirt roads in mud season -- da muddiah da bettah (some Lawn Guylandahs drop the R's at the end) This flatlandah has pulled local natives from ditches. I won't criticize their mistakes, but natives would be quick to point out mine, as I am a flatlandah.

If you are selling your home, where are you going to go?

I completely see both of your points. From a previous post of my own, I said many of the same things that "entropy" has said, but not so eloquently. As a Vermonter trying to make a living and raise a family here I completely empathize with "entropy". It is very frustrating having outsiders come in and try to take over, and make your state into their own little paradise, without keeping in mind that people here still have to LIVE and work here without benefit of a big city salary. Vermont just doesn't feel like "my" state anymore.

On the flipside, I see what OhBeeHave is saying and that not all flatlanders are trying to take over, they're trying to fit in and be a neighbor. (My mom is from Bergen County, NJ - don't get much more flatlander than that - so I guess I'm half flatlander although born and bred here.) Honestly, I had gone head-to-head with OhBeeHave in a previous post on this very subject, and now truly look forward to what she has to say because I now see her as someone that cracks me up and could be friends with, whether or not we agree on every subject. In "real" life, I have many a flatlander friend and many a flatlander relative - I think the Duffy clan makes up 75% of Bergen County.

Personally, I have been exploring the option of moving out of state (preferably south) because I hate the cold, the cost of living in VT without the pay to balance it out and the politics in VT. However what I have found while checking out the NC forum is that I would be the outsider there and they seem to REALLY dislike the outsider. I really don't know what the answer is.

Old 02-01-2008, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNOTTE View Post
I completely see both of your points. From a previous post of my own, I said many of the same things that "entropy" has said, but not so eloquently. As a Vermonter trying to make a living and raise a family here I completely empathize with "entropy". It is very frustrating having outsiders come in and try to take over, and make your state into their own little paradise, without keeping in mind that people here still have to LIVE and work here without benefit of a big city salary. Vermont just doesn't feel like "my" state anymore.

On the flipside, I see what OhBeeHave is saying and that not all flatlanders are trying to take over, they're trying to fit in and be a neighbor. (My mom is from Bergen County, NJ - don't get much more flatlander than that - so I guess I'm half flatlander although born and bred here.) Honestly, I had gone head-to-head with OhBeeHave in a previous post on this very subject, and now truly look forward to what she has to say because I now see her as someone that cracks me up and could be friends with, whether or not we agree on every subject. In "real" life, I have many a flatlander friend and many a flatlander relative - I think the Duffy clan makes up 75% of Bergen County.

Personally, I have been exploring the option of moving out of state (preferably south) because I hate the cold, the cost of living in VT without the pay to balance it out and the politics in VT. However what I have found while checking out the NC forum is that I would be the outsider there and they seem to REALLY dislike the outsider. I really don't know what the answer is.
Hey Knotte, I think we could be friends 'IRL'. While we see things from different aspects, we both are passionate about those we hold dear and are open to listening to what others have to say. It's all about respect

As with many things, it's the people who make the most noise who get noticed. Unfortunately for the flatlanders, it's always the idiots that get seen and heard (and who have unfortunately tried to tell native Vters what is best for them -- which is wrong.) The rest of us are trying to fit in as you have written, and we aren't as easily noticed. (Until I start tawking and ask for cawfee or ice watah.) There are those of us who love the state and don't want to see it mucked up, the way our former homes were mucked up. The good-hearted might say, "Look at what they did in FouledUpTown, LI," and then cite stats, provide photos and give people something to mull over. The idiots will protest, be divisive and do anything they can to get in the way.

For me, finding this forum, posting and reading the responses of all the Vters -- good and bad -- has helped me get a better idea of the people who make up this place I love. I have learned more about the job market, local economics and understand why many natives feel the way they do about those of us from the tristate area. I understand why residents want more choices in shopping and (coming from a place where everything is thisclose) appreciate why people would like to see more of certain stores. As much as I am adverse to big box retailers, I understand that it would be a shot in the arm to have a national store with reasonable prices within close proximity, saving folks money, gas and time. I have also come to learn that more jobs need to be created -- ones that can actually support a person.

People are being priced off of LI and out of VT. It pains me to see people forced to leave a place that they love. As I am still learning, I ponder: is there any thought of county commericial districts? For example -- take a town that is in an economic downturn and create a shopping & business district within it? Recruit some of these national chains Target? Best Buy? Bed, Bath Beyond? as well as perhaps satellites for area hospitals and one central transportation hub (buses? We have ng buses running on LI now) Perhaps have some form of research or technology incubator -- there are enough colleges and universities that would benefit by having additional space. My thought would be that perhaps it would help control overdevelopment, but foster some growth and link other county commercial districts together in an environmentally friendly way.

My greatest concern is that VT be plowed under by poorly planned development. I don't want to LI VT and only ask that VTers look at the damage that has been done here.

When I bought my LI house years back, it was an older summer home which needed a lot of work. A friend nosed about and asked, "Your husband can build houses, why didn't he build you a new one?" I answered, "You can't build new fields, but you can appreciate old architecture." I've since gutted it, but retained all the old features which were irreplaceable, while adding some modern touches to make it more habitable in the current day.

I supposed my love for Vermont is similar. I respect the state, adore the land but understand something needs to be done to keep it habitable for native Vters in the current and future days.

I think I am getting the hang of this state Now if I could only master the ice.

Old 02-02-2008, 07:35 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,065,882 times
Bee said it a lot better than me. I would prefer not to get in a flame war. It's my birthday today!

That being said:
I am not a typical rich Lawng Islander. We moved because we couldn't stand all that materialism (never had much $) and we definitely could never survive there.

We left because the crime was horrible & my son's school was not helping him. We enjoy nature and the natural life. We stumbled upon VT after looking at several places in NH.

Up here we have made adjustments (the first year ANYWHERE is hard). My husband works a good job but it's a night job so our family is making sacrifices so we both can work and get by.

I would love to volunteer once I get a job and help my Vermont/NH community. I will give back, but I also feel I have 'the right as an American' to say 'this stinks' or 'I don't like this.' Why do 'outsiders' have to stupidly agree with EVERYTHING in the new state? Maybe some things ARE in need of change...? I don't mean destroy all the traditions and boss people around. I do mean try 'being open' and not judging people by where they come from..

As far as rich outsiders, I see them every day (I live in a tourist town). I could easily become bitter as I rent a small apartment and THEY are in their second homes..however, what's the point?

Old 02-02-2008, 08:00 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,131,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I would love to volunteer once I get a job and help my Vermont/NH community.
Vermont is rich with volunteer opportunities! I am so impressed with Vermont's spirit of helping and the nonprofit community here.

Quote:
I will give back, but I also feel I have 'the right as an American' to say 'this stinks' or 'I don't like this.' Why do 'outsiders' have to stupidly agree with EVERYTHING in the new state? Maybe some things ARE in need of change...? I don't mean destroy all the traditions and boss people around. I do mean try 'being open' and not judging people by where they come from..
Well, exactly. Not only do we have the right as Americans to speak out, but we also have the right to live in whatever U.S. state we want, including beautiful rural states where native residents have generational histories. Unfortunately, that freedom of movement applies to less considerate transplants (and natives) as well as our wonderful neighbors from here and elsewhere. I feel good about what I bring to the area and I don't expect to be congratulated for it by those who prefer that people from elsewhere stay there.

Quote:
As far as rich outsiders, I see them every day (I live in a tourist town). I could easily become bitter as I rent a small apartment and THEY are in their second homes..however, what's the point?
I agree! The funny thing is that I consider Vermont very low-key as far as conspicuous consumption. Class distinction certainly exists here, and there is needless consumption here as everywhere. But I don't notice it nearly as much here as I did in in Miami where I grew up. I went to a high school where the students drove late model luxury sports cars. Many of their families had full-time staff and several houses, often in more than one country. Where I grew up, it was "normal" for people to live in one of three ways: private gated communities; small, "unprotected" middle-class areas; and low-income housing. To me, the classes seem very stratified there.

In Vermont, the street I live on includes tenants renting apartments, retirees on fixed income, doctors & lawyers, the mayor & his family, and people employed by various companies. My parents, still steeped in S. Florida culture, remain mystified by Vermont, which looks egalitarian by comparison.

Last edited by Sherylcatmom; 02-02-2008 at 08:11 AM..

Old 02-02-2008, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Bee said it a lot better than me. I would prefer not to get in a flame war. It's my birthday today!

That being said:
I am not a typical rich Lawng Islander. We moved because we couldn't stand all that materialism (never had much $) and we definitely could never survive there.

We left because the crime was horrible & my son's school was not helping him. We enjoy nature and the natural life. We stumbled upon VT after looking at several places in NH.

Up here we have made adjustments (the first year ANYWHERE is hard). My husband works a good job but it's a night job so our family is making sacrifices so we both can work and get by.

I would love to volunteer once I get a job and help my Vermont/NH community. I will give back, but I also feel I have 'the right as an American' to say 'this stinks' or 'I don't like this.' Why do 'outsiders' have to stupidly agree with EVERYTHING in the new state? Maybe some things ARE in need of change...? I don't mean destroy all the traditions and boss people around. I do mean try 'being open' and not judging people by where they come from..

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!

May the only flames you see today be those on your birthday candles

Might I add, the best birthdays I've had have been in VT! (Despite the fact that one was a 'landmark' age which I prefer not to discuss LOL)

Old 02-02-2008, 09:42 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,131,098 times
Quote:
A very Happy Birthday to you! Since you mentioned it, I won't start a fight. :-)

~ a fellow February Aquarian

Old 02-02-2008, 02:59 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,065,882 times
Thanks all...
And for the OP...you just keep researching and move where YOU want.

I'm very sorry some people dislike 'outsiders' or whatever. I hated how my area in NY was 'ruined' by the influx of illegals and foreigners with $$$ and rich people from NYC and corruption that is squeezing out everyone.

It's not easy to move away from 'home' but a lot of people haven't a choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont