Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 07:27 AM

491 posts, read 1,433,848 times

Advertisements

Hey, just wondering what everyone thinks of the rutland county area? My fiancee and I are thinking about moving up that way and just seeing how folks there like it or don't.

Just a little about myself, I was born in Michigan while my dad was in the air force, moved to plattsburgh soon after. My parents moved back to their hometown in Chautauqua County, NY a year or two later.

Now, Im 28, getting married and have been living in Pittsburgh for about a year. We really don't like Pittsburgh at all, and living in a city is not something we are interested in any longer. We both grew up in fairly small towns and would like to go back to that lifestyle.

My fiancee would like to go back to school and is thinking about Green Mountain College.

We are thinking about taking a visit in the coming months and I'm trying to figure out a few towns we should visit. Rutland, Castleton, Poultney are already on the list, anything or anywhere else we should visit?

Thanks in advance for any help...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 07:34 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,132,597 times
Hi! You can see most of the small towns in Rutland County on a pretty short visit. Many of them could suit you. Can you offer more details about what you're looking for in a town, what you like and don't like?

Other possibilities of towns that actually have some businesses and a town center (if sometimes a very small one), as well as lovely land and homes:

West Rutland
Fair Haven
Wallingford/E. Wallingford
Pittsford
Brandon
Middletown Springs/Pawlet/Tinmouth

I just happened to notice this amazing home & property for sale by owner in Brandon: Vermont and New Hampshire For Sale by Owner Real Estate Homes. I don't even know where it is in Brandon but it sure is beautiful.

Old 01-15-2008, 07:52 AM

3 posts, read 9,369 times
Default Lining in Vermont

I've lived in Rutland County for just about my whole life. It's a friendly, safe place to live. I live in Poultney, which is where GMC is located. It's a great school from what I've heard, it's just a little on the pricey side, being a private college, and I believe all of the courses are environmentally based.

As far as work goes in this area, it's a little sparce right now unless you work in the medical field or if you have a degree. Poultney doesn't have much work-wise (actually I don't think there's anything right now), so Rutland would be your best bet. If I had the choice, I would live on the outskirts of Rutland, like in Pittsford, Mendon or Clarendon, as I don't really like to drive 30 minutes to Rutland (especially in the snow).

Overall I love living in Vermont- it's very peaceful and safe. I don't know if it's any help, but that's what I think about it here.

Old 01-15-2008, 11:43 AM

Thanks for the responses. I do have a bachelors degree, in political science, with a concentration in public and environmental policy. I have mainly worked for engineering and environmental consultant companies, but have a pretty diverse background. How does everyone rate the job market in this area? I have looked a little and there seem to be more jobs available than where I am from in the very econimically depressed area of western new york.

As for what we are looking for in a community...

First of all, a sense of community. I have lived in Pittsburgh for almost a year, and barely know anyone. You can't walk ANYWHERE, everything is seperated and neighborhoods are segregated from eachother (not racially, but spatially). Have to drive everywhere.

We would like to be able to live close enough to a downtown that we can walk there. My girlfriend likes to drive as little as possible.

Other than that, we just want to live somewhere safe, with nice people, a sense of history and preserving it(we love historical architecture, etc) and with alot of outdoor recreation and nature.

Umm, Im sure I forgot some things, but this is what I could think of off the top of my head.

Old 01-15-2008, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oktaren View Post
How does everyone rate the job market in this area? I have looked a little and there seem to be more jobs available than where I am from in the very econimically depressed area of western new york.
Not sure what to say about this. It varies so much! I know a lot of people with good jobs, and others who seem never to be able to find enough work to sustain them. I do okay with a combo of self-employment and part-time work with nonprofit organizations. If you're noticing job openings that apply to you, you may have your answer.

Quote:
We would like to be able to live close enough to a downtown that we can walk there. My girlfriend likes to drive as little as possible.
I feel exactly the same way. If that's what you're looking for, then Rutland City itself might be the only town large enough that you could walk to just about everything you want and need. We do!

Brandon has enough of a downtown for some -- great bookstore w/a little cafe in it, for example. But I couldn't depend on Brandon for walking to everything because I buy all my groceries at the Rutland co-op & farmers market and Brandon lacks those resources.

Quote:
Other than that, we just want to live somewhere safe, with nice people, a sense of history and preserving it(we love historical architecture, etc) and with alot of outdoor recreation and nature.
Given what you're saying, Rutland could be a fit. Come check it out. Stay at least a few days. See how you feel. Look around and imagine waking up to it every day.

Old 01-18-2008, 06:40 AM

Thanks for the resplies. We really don't need a whole lot within walking distance, just something. The nearest store to us in downtown Pittsburgh is a mile or so away, and that is up and down 3 or 4 mountain ridges. There is no possibility of walking anywhere, unless you want to spend a day at it.

I grew up in a town of 3000 which had a small, partially deserted downtown area and there was plenty there within walking distance to keep me happy.

I'm sure Rutland has everything I could need, but what about the others?

Does Poultney, Castleton, Brandon, etc have a downtown/main street area?

A book shop was mentioned, which sounds good

Do these towns have a Gas Station? Convenient Store or General Store? Grocery? Hardware?

I just don't want to have to drive to Walmart to get groceries anymore, I would like to be able to go to a local store for the majority of my needs.

Thanks for any help anyone can give!

Old 01-18-2008, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Does Poultney, Castleton, Brandon, etc have a downtown/main street area?
Yes. Other towns with downtown/main street (but not necessarily a full grocery store or bookstore): Pittsford, Pittsfield, Fair Haven, Pawlet, Mt.Holly/Belmont, Wallingford

Quote:
Do these towns have a Gas Station? Convenient Store or General Store? Grocery? Hardware?
Yes, most of them have these things. You can search these towns on google or right on this City-Data site and get more info.

You can also call the phone company and have them send you Vermont phone books for the areas that interest you. Out-of-state phone books do cost money. If you have friends/family in Vermont, they can order any Vermont phone books free and give them to you. Or when you visit the area, ask businesses for their extra or out-of-date phone books to take home with you.

Old 01-18-2008, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherylcatmom View Post
Yes. Other towns with downtown/main street (but not necessarily a full grocery store or bookstore): Pittsford, Pittsfield, Fair Haven, Pawlet, Mt.Holly/Belmont, Wallingford

Yes, most of them have these things. You can search these towns on google or right on this City-Data site and get more info.

You can also call the phone company and have them send you Vermont phone books for the areas that interest you. Out-of-state phone books do cost money. If you have friends/family in Vermont, they can order any Vermont phone books free and give them to you. Or when you visit the area, ask businesses for their extra or out-of-date phone books to take home with you.
Thanks for the help! I never thought about getting an actual phonebook, but I will try that.

I did google the towns, but I was having a hard time imagining whether there was an actual downtown area or not. I was just searching Poultney and they seem to have everything, and more, than we would need.

Thanks again for all your help!

Old 01-18-2008, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Thanks again for all your help!
Gladly!

West Rutland also has a downtown. It's a sweet place in many ways. And if you needed something you could drive 5-10 minutes and be in Rutland.

More info at Welcome to Rutland Vermont, your guide to the Rutland and Killington Regions. Sponsored by the Rutland Region Chamber of Commerce., Central Vermont Home Page - Complete regional guide to Vacation, Lodging, Living, and Doing Business in heart of the Green Mountains., and other Vermont chambers of commerce

You can learn more about the regions you're interested in at the daily newspapers:

Rutland Herald: Rutland Vermont News & Information
Covers Rutland County & more: Rutland, W. Rutland, Mendon, Killington, Castleton, Poultney, Fair Haven, Pittsford, Brandon, Pawlet, Mt. Holly, Wallingford, etc.

Times Argus Online - Vermont News, Vermont Information, Vermont Jobs
Barre, Montpelier & surrounding towns: Plainfield, Northfield, Waterbury, more

BurlingtonFreePress.com | Vermont News, sports, weather, arts and entertainment
Burlington and the many, many surrounding towns
Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 02-14-2008 at 07:18 AM..

Old 01-20-2008, 12:47 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,828,322 times
Hi, I would also consider Mt. Holly/Belmont area too...Star Lake (Belmont) is very nice, small beach and canoes/rowboats and kayaks and Mt. Holly/Belmont is also about 7-8 miles from Okemo Resort (ski/golf).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont