Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2015, 08:37 AM

31 posts, read 53,020 times

Advertisements

This is a question for folks who have gone about building their own homes. Does anybody have any experience/information/recommendations for contractors on how to go about subdividing property and building a house in the Waterbury/Duxbury area? My understanding is that the town planning commission would probably need to be contacted as well as some kind of land surveyor and then bringing in a GC/Architect for housing plans etc. Any information would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 11:20 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,855,804 times
Gunner McCain is well recommended and is based right in Waterbury.
Try McCain Consulting, Inc.

He re-engineered our septic design but I think he can do the whole 9 yards for you, or point you in the right direction. He'd need to get involved for the well/wastewater/surveying at the minimum I think.

Old 04-23-2015, 11:24 AM

168 posts, read 285,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxPhantom View Post
This is a question for folks who have gone about building their own homes. Does anybody have any experience/information/recommendations for contractors on how to go about subdividing property and building a house in the Waterbury/Duxbury area? My understanding is that the town planning commission would probably need to be contacted as well as some kind of land surveyor and then bringing in a GC/Architect for housing plans etc. Any information would be greatly appreciated!
I wouldn't try to do anything related to land in Vermont without talking with a real estate attorney. And I'm not just saying that because I'm a real estate attorney, but because there are so many rules and regs (and tax implications) that you don't want to screw it up. e.g., think about well and septic-citing rules - you don't want to subdivide before you know you can fit your well and septic on the plot. You also need to think about access, setback requirements, and perhaps some tax implications such as qualifying one or more of the parcels for Current Use.

Old 04-24-2015, 06:59 AM

Thanks for the info! If anyone has anything else to add that would be great!

Old 04-27-2015, 05:54 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,970,174 times
Be prepared for more forms and permits than you could ever imagine.A good civil engineering firm can give you a rundown of everything and the associated costs. I think you need a permit to fart in VT.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoonalt View Post
I think you need a permit to fart in VT.
Hahaha.

Old 04-29-2015, 01:54 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,070,207 times
It all starts, sadly, with an attorney.

He will broadly determine whether it is feasible/reasonable, or not.

Then you get a surveyor and a civil engineer in to determine the new lots lines, and whether the new property will support a house (see sewage, well, etc., above).

Then it is back to the lawyer to draw up the deed, file the appropriate forms, pay the appropriate taxes, and get the appropriate permits under way.

Then you go see the architect with (remaining) hopes, wishes and dreams in hand ( and check book) .......

Old 04-30-2015, 09:40 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,855,804 times
I can recommend an attorney also. Sheila Getzinger in Waitsfield.

I've never subdivided but we had McCain do the civil engineering on our land. It really was no work on our part other than patience. It took a long time (3-4 months) , although we weren't in a rush so I wasn't really pressuring them to go go go. From the time the permit was finally submitted and approved was only 2 weeks.

By the way, this may not be the case but if you plan on having multiple homes owned by 1 family you probably do not need to subdivide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
View detailed profiles of: